Speculation: The 2020 Draft Thread: Part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
31 Thoughts: Some good stories in tough times - Sportsnet.ca

5. If Perfetti was worried about finding things to do when he returned to the family home in Whitby, Ont. — mother Sandra made sure he wouldn’t be bored.

“She’s loving having us clean the house,” he laughed. “The backyard, garage, furnace room — I’ve cleaned and rearranged my room, made multiple runs to the dump…. The house is looking pretty good right now, better than ever.”

Another form of motivation came from an old family friend, Kris Draper. Perfetti played with Draper’s son, Kienan, in minor hockey and billeted in Saginaw with a family that is close to the 1,157-game NHL veteran.

“It seems like no one’s doing anything, but (Kris) said there’s someone across the world working harder than me right now — someone who wants to be the best.”

(Let me just say I love this line. Because it is true.)

“He’s told me I have the skills and assets to be an elite-level player, but I have to want to be the hardest worker out there.”

Last year, he hired Peter Renzetti as his strength and conditioning coach. Renzetti, who used to work for Detroit and Toronto, changed Perfetti’s mindset.

“He pushed me to a new level. I remember the first day I was there he put 40-pound vests on the guys, had them run and jump over hurdles on a hill. I thought it was a joke — ‘Is this for real?’” says Perfetti, clearly smiling at the memory. “He doesn’t sugarcoat things, but he does care. He’s pushing us in the gym, up our asses a little bit to make sure we are working. He tests your limits, wants to see if you’ll work outside your comfort zone. I learned a lot about myself last summer.”

There are some other good tidbits on Perfetti in there.

Reactions: Chainshot

Snippit

Dec 5, 2012
Do you take Drysdale if he’s available at 7, 8, 9 (where we will mostly pick)

Reddawg

We're all mad here
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2007
Rochester, NY
Depends who else is there. If Lafreniere, Byfield, Stutzle, Perfetti, Rossi and Raymond are all gone, then yeah, I’d take Drysdale at #7. If one of those guys is still available I take the forward.

m0pe

Feb 24, 2020

I mean he is a top-5 prospect but if he is available in that range (I'd be surprised) then I would do it likely.

I think I would easily take Laf, Byfield, Raymond, Stutzle over him. Probably Rossi and Holtz too since we need offense more. MAYBE Lundell.

No chance anyone else.

itwasaforwardpass

I'll be the hyena
Mar 4, 2017

I'm torn on Lundell. I really like smart, position sound, possession players but this team is starving for high end skill and you usually find that high in the draft. Mediocre hands/passing bothers me more for a center than the mediocre skating and when they're combined it's not ideal for a top 10 pick. Although his other traits and production against men indicate he'll probably be a solid player right out of the box.

Scouching is very thorough and the high danger numbers were interesting.

m0pe

Feb 24, 2020
Lundell will probably be a very good 2C and his floor is very high.

Players that are as smart as him and this polished at such a young age are a better bet in the top-10 than some of the others like Perfetti who have lots of flaws imo.

I think ROR has shown us you don't need elite skating or hands to be such a key all situations player if you have the drive and smarts. I'd be happy snagging him if our pick is 8-onwards.

Reactions: Chainshot

itwasaforwardpass

I'll be the hyena
Mar 4, 2017
Lundell will probably be a very good 2C and his floor is very high.

Players that are as smart as him and this polished at such a young age are a better bet in the top-10 than some of the others like Perfetti who have lots of flaws imo.

I think ROR has shown us you don't need elite skating or hands to be such a key all situations player if you have the drive and smarts. I'd be happy snagging him if our pick is 8-onwards.

ROR has high better hands/stick work. The rest I agree with.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
I'm torn on Lundell. I really like smart, position sound, possession players but this team is starving for high end skill and you usually find that high in the draft. Mediocre hands/passing bothers me more for a center than the mediocre skating and when they're combined it's not ideal for a top 10 pick. Although his other traits and production against men indicate he'll probably be a solid player right out of the box.

Scouching is very thorough and the high danger numbers were interesting.

He comes across a lot like Larsson.

I can imagine the blowback if the Sabres take a "low ceiling guy" with their first this year.

But, I do see the fit if they are convinced that Cozens is the #2 center behind Eichel long term and they see Lundell as a solid 3/4 C.

:dunno:

Reactions: Der Jaeger
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->