Speculation: The 2020 Draft Thread: Part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

jc17

Jun 14, 2013
I would tear up if Rossi's at 8. Rossi-Cozens is the making of an elite line opposite Jack. Or Rossi-Eichel-Cozens is the making of an elite 1st line, period.
If history has thought me anything its not to pencil prospects into a top line. I like rossi but the vanek-Grigorenko-armia projections are still fresh

jc17

Jun 14, 2013

Rossi latest shift video. I think this was much better than the 2nd period of this game. I wrote down some notable plays and I think the most impressive thing is how often he makes the right play.

Good
  • :39 patience with the puck, not forcing a play
  • 1:30 draws penalty
  • 1:49 combo of vision and touch to make the pass
  • 2:10 To me its this kind of thing that separates players. The composure to not panic with 2 guys on, take an extra second, and work it into open ice at a speed which his teammate can grab it before it exits the zone
  • 2:25 difficult pass
  • 2:35 sells one-time to fake the goalie, places the pass perfectly
  • 4:20 Goal, nothing to special on this one
  • 4:35 puck protection vs bigger player
  • 4:55 edges
  • 7:45 pressure leads to turnover
Bad
  • :50-:55 could have pursued the puck harder
  • 3:10 Goal against, he got caught behind the play. I wouldnt really say he's at fault
  • 6:34 weak defense
Any potential 1st rounder is going to have highlight plays, but the ability to consistently make solid ones is more important. Rossi isn't perfect, and this is only 8 minutes of play, but I think its a good example of why he could be an effective NHLer

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Pronman's NHL prospect stock watch: Latest from U20 camps in Sweden and Finland

Alexander Holtz, RW, 2020 draft-eligible

Holtz showed a lot of what you expected. He had four goals and five points between the two games, including this beauty of a snipe:

He showed great skill and playmaking, and he competed well off the puck. The footspeed still isn’t great, so you can’t expect him to be the main puck rusher on your NHL team. But inside the offensive zone he can make a lot happen. His line with Lucas Raymond and Karl Henriksson (NYR) dominated puck possession whenever they were on the ice.

Lucas Raymond, LW, 2020 draft-eligible

As mentioned, Raymond’s line drove the bus when it was on the ice. Holtz did a lot of great things, but Raymond’s puck possession abilities were just as – if not more – apparent. He had five points in the two games. And whenever the puck was on his stick, he showed great confidence, vision and skill. He has elite hands and can create chances out of nothing.

For his size you’d still like him to be more explosive, but he’s strong on his skates, showed he could navigate around the offensive zone well, and showed he could create offense through his work ethic and his skill.

Roni Hirvonen, C, 2020 draft-eligible

Hirvonen had a strong performance at Finland’s camp, building off a great end to the 2019-20 season where he was among the leading scorers in the last tournament he played and was good versus men. His great skill and vision stood out, creating a lot of offense with his puck play. I also thought he competed very well and created in the tougher portions of the ice. He’s undersized and an average skater, which is not a great combination, but he has the other elements you want. “The skating keeps him from being a true top prospect, but I think he can be a third-line forward,” said one NHL scout who watched Hirvonen last weekend.

Anton Lundell, 2020 draft-eligible

Lundell had one goal and two points in Finland’s two games. He was one of the better players, but I wouldn’t say he was amazing. He had flashes of skill and vision, and was a big piece of the offense. But for a projected top 15-20 pick, he didn’t jump off the page. “I think the debate with him is if he’s a second- or third-line center due to his average skating,” said one NHL scout of watching Lundell last weekend. Some NHL scouts are more optimistic about Lundell but some share that same opinion.

Reactions: SECRET SQUIRREL

jc17

Jun 14, 2013
Definitely worth a look with our 2nd. If I remember correctly 1.5 points/g 2nd half of the season. Early 2nd round seems to have a lot of guys with high potential but pretty uncertain.

In that guy's most recent video he revealed his rankings #21-31. Emil heineman made the 1st round for him. I think most people would have 38 being a reach for him but it's hard not to drink the koolaid. Draft dynasty guy raves about him

Reactions: Cheese Breadman

m0pe

Feb 24, 2020
Heineman and Robins are both pretty nice players and underrated by many.

I like them both and have them as early-mid 2nd rounders. Doubt either would be my top choice at 38 but not bad picks either.

With them both being rather underrated though I could definitely see one falling to the 4th. Shouldn't happen, but it could, and would be an amazing pick up there.

Reactions: Cheese Breadman

Team Cozens

Oct 24, 2013
Burlington
Watching Bo Horvat last night and then realizing he was taken the pick right after Risto..... Draisaitl taken the pick right after Reinhart. Coulda woulda shoulda but man we could be stacked.

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
Watching Bo Horvat last night and then realizing he was taken the pick right after Risto..... Draisaitl taken the pick right after Reinhart. Coulda woulda shoulda but man we could be stacked.

Yeah, thankfully we now have the guy taken one spot after Zadorov for 4th line duty.

Reactions: Team Cozens

Wisent42

Jan 9, 2012
Södertälje
True, but I recall a lot of anger that we went with Risto when Nichushkin was still available. And there were some voices for Bennett over Reinhart too, although those voices grew quiet closer to the draft where Reinhart ended up being pretty much the concesus 2nd overall. I don't think we should beat ourselves up over this, it just shows that drafting is a bit of a lottery and you can never be sure. And then there's the part of developing prospects. Who knows what Draisaitl or Horvat would have developed to in our system. Maybe Reinhart would be putting up points by the hundreds in Edmonton...

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation

Eh, that presupposes Buffalo developed versions of those guys turn out at the level they are now.

jc17

Jun 14, 2013
I think the most interesting thing was how high both guests were on Rossi. I feel like there's a legitimate chance he falls to us. Maybe not likely or over 50/50 but its possible.

Kind of funny how at times it just sounded like an HF conversation. Chad saying he doesn't like perfetti, but not really expanding, Bader saying perfetti does well statistically. The cloudy context for guys like Raymond and Lundell. The Sanderson debate. Drysdale kind of falling off everyone's radar, except Bader.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
I think the most interesting thing was how high both guests were on Rossi. I feel like there's a legitimate chance he falls to us. Maybe not likely or over 50/50 but its possible.

If Rossi is there at 8 and the Sabres pass...

:help:

Kind of funny how at times it just sounded like an HF conversation. Chad saying he doesn't like perfetti, but not really expanding, Bader saying perfetti does well statistically. The cloudy context for guys like Raymond and Lundell. The Sanderson debate. Drysdale kind of falling off everyone's radar, except Bader.

I think Drysdale is off the radar for Sabres fans because most people believe he will be gone by 8 and most Sabres fans want Best Forward Available at 8.

The HP.com model obviously favors CHL players. Just like Will favors guys that he has a lot of video on. He doesn’t do a lot of USHL guys. And with this class, you would do well if you just scouted the heck out of the Chicago Steel and the USNTDP.

And as far as Perfetti goes, I do think he goes to Detroit at 4 and I won’t be mad if the Sabres take him. He has the production and a lot of people in his ear that will have him acting like a true pro sooner than some draftees.

Right now, I’m hoping for Rossi, Raymond, Perfetti, or Lundell. And there is likely to be one or two of those guys at 8.

Reactions: SECRET SQUIRREL

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
If Rossi is there at 8 and the Sabres pass...

:help:

I think Drysdale is off the radar for Sabres fans because most people believe he will be gone by 8 and most Sabres fans want Best Forward Available at 8.

The HP.com model obviously favors CHL players. Just like Will favors guys that he has a lot of video on. He doesn’t do a lot of USHL guys. And with this class, you would do well if you just scouted the heck out of the Chicago Steel and the USNTDP.

And as far as Perfetti goes, I do think he goes to Detroit at 4 and I won’t be mad if the Sabres take him. He has the production and a lot of people in his ear that will have him acting like a true pro sooner than some draftees.

Right now, I’m hoping for Rossi, Raymond, Perfetti, or Lundell. And there is likely to be one or two of those guys at 8.

Buffalo does need a high picked RD in their prospect pool. It could be done with 2nd rounder

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad