Speculation: The 2020 Draft Thread: Part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Wheeler: Every lottery team's biggest need at the 2020 NHL...

7. Buffalo Sabres

Position of need: Playmaking winger or high-end defenceman

Pick: C/LW Tim Stützle (or RW Lucas Raymond if the Senators picked Stützle)

The Sabres prospect pool could really use a defenceman but if Drysdale is gone, it's probably too high to reach so far for a need that you take the next-best defender on your board. But luckily for the Sabres, the stars have aligned and exactly the kind of player the team is looking for up front should be available. After taking centre Dylan Cozens last year as the future 2C to Jack Eichel, the Sabres look for someone who can play with Eichel's pace and get him the puck. Stützle is the perfect pick and the Sabres get a luck best-case scenario outcome for the second year running. If that second Senators pick were Stützle, I think everything that follows plays out the same way and the Sabres may get lucky with Raymond, who would also fit in nicely with Eichel. Either way, the Sabres probably end up with an excellent outcome at pick No. 7, given the team preferences ahead of them.

Alternate scenario: What's fascinating about the way this might play out for the Sabres is that even if they win, say, the third lottery pick, I still think the player they end up with at No. 7 may be the same they pick if they win it. I do believe, accounting for need, that Stützle stands a good chance of being their guy at No. 3, as well.

I'm sure Dahlin wouldn't mind Raymond being the pick.

I listened to this podcast this morning. It's with Frolunda's U16, U18, & U20 player development coach.

He talks about how Dahlin and Raymond are a different breed a few times.

Reactions: Chainshot

m0pe

Feb 24, 2020
If we stay put around the 7th/8th area, Raymond is the dream realistic scenerio.

Stuztle and Byfield are up there with him in my books, but both will be gone by then surely.

Meanwhile, Raymond is arguably the 2nd best player in this draft, but due to limited ice time in the SHL, his numbers don't pop as much as his talent does and he may be available.

flashsabre

Apr 5, 2003
Visit site
If we stay put around the 7th/8th area, Raymond is the dream realistic scenerio.

Stuztle and Byfield are up there with him in my books, but both will be gone by then surely.

Meanwhile, Raymond is arguably the 2nd best player in this draft, but due to limited ice time in the SHL, his numbers don't pop as much as his talent does and he may be available.
Raymond would be an absolute steal at 7. Kid has Marner vibes with more grit and drive.

Reactions: m0pe

TheMistyStranger

ミスト
May 21, 2005
I’m happy we’re gonna have a top 10 pick this year. Feels like we come out of this with a real player in round 1, and we get to jettison some dead weight due to expiring contracts. I hesitate to say it, but I’m feeling borderline 2005-06 here, coming out of a shortened season, team struggled for a few years to regain their identity, then an offensive center became a superstar and the team was bolstered by young players hitting their stride at the same time.

jc17

Jun 14, 2013
Wheeler: Every lottery team's biggest need at the 2020 NHL...

I'm sure Dahlin wouldn't mind Raymond being the pick.

I listened to this podcast this morning. It's with Frolunda's U16, U18, & U20 player development coach.

He talks about how Dahlin and Raymond are a different breed a few times.

In regards to the quote in the tweet, that was one theory of Brazil's success in soccer. Kids frew up playing futsol and played so many small-space games, their footwork and ability to react quickly was developed really well.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
In regards to the quote in the tweet, that was one theory of Brazil's success in soccer. Kids frew up playing futsol and played so many small-space games, their footwork and ability to react quickly was developed really well.

Hockey is a late development sport. Playing a lot of different sports growing up have a lot of carry over to hockey.

Soccer and lacrosse are two great ones. But, almost any sport will give you something that helps with hockey development.

jc17

Jun 14, 2013
Hockey is a late development sport. Playing a lot of different sports growing up have a lot of carry over to hockey.

Soccer and lacrosse are two great ones. But, almost any sport will give you something that helps with hockey development.
Yeah, general athleticism is important, as well as being able to think the game.

I think a problem that's spread across many youth sports is that specialization gives kids a short term boost, but isn't always beneficial in the long run. A kid that plays only hockey year round at the age of 11 is probably going to better than kids that play one season, and as a result more parents (and kids) push for this in fear of falling behind. Then, as a result, fail to develop skills from other sports that might transfer.

jc17

Jun 14, 2013
Unrelated, is there a way to get SHL ice time. I saw someone say Raymond averaged 9:48 but dont know where to find the numbers

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Yeah, general athleticism is important, as well as being able to think the game.

I think a problem that's spread across many youth sports is that specialization gives kids a short term boost, but isn't always beneficial in the long run. A kid that plays only hockey year round at the age of 11 is probably going to better than kids that play one season, and as a result more parents (and kids) push for this in fear of falling behind. Then, as a result, fail to develop skills from other sports that might transfer.

Absolutely.

And this is being driven by people trying to make money off of youth sports. This isn't just a hockey issue, but it applies to a ton of other sports.

Hockey gets the double whammy of coaches trying to sell offseason training & camps along with for profit rinks that are trying to make money during the normal offseason.

Although, with the proliferation of indoor sports facilities, you see this factor more and more with sports like soccer, baseball, and lacrosse, as well.

Handling Fear in Youth Hockey - The Hockey Think Tank

The USOC, along with USA Hockey, have been pushing the science of Long Term Athlete Development. But, the FOMO factor is winning out far too often.

Although, there are a lot of families that get it. There more than a few families I know with multiple high end hockey players, and they all played multiple sports up to HS and plenty in HS.

And the Section V D2 HS Hockey POTY for this past season is an awesome hockey player. But, he's an even better motocross racer. And three of the best returning players play multiple sports.

Reactions: jc17

m0pe

Feb 24, 2020
Unrelated, is there a way to get SHL ice time. I saw someone say Raymond averaged 9:48 but dont know where to find the numbers

I also use Pick224.com

It provides esimated ice time along with many other interesting stats across most league.

But yeah the Raymond getting 10 minutes ATOI seems accurate and is a big reason why I wouldn't read too much into his numbers.

flashsabre

Apr 5, 2003
Visit site
NHL.com Media Site

NHL Central Scouting final rankings. A lot different then some other sites.

Bobby Mac says until they know if anymore games will be played this season there is no way to know about how draft order will be determined.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY

7. Buffalo Sabres: Lucas Raymond, LW, Frolunda-SHL

Joe Yerdon: It’s probably easy to say the Sabres will default to taking Swedes at this point, but there aren’t a lot of players that can do what Raymond does. He finds teammates with ease, he’s able to find areas in the offensive zone left unguarded, and he uses that time to create chances and score goals. Holtz would’ve been an ideal fit as a winger with size and a shot to match, but size can go both ways. Small and skilled works well with players that have Raymond’s ability. Buffalo needs offense in the system in the worst way and he can provide it.

Pronman’s take: Buffalo has a lot of very good young players in the organization, and Raymond would be yet another addition to a potentially elite young core group of players. He will need time to develop speed and strength before he gets to the NHL. It remains to be seen when all these young pieces in Buffalo will move the organization forward, but it’s a lot of talent, especially when you add a player like Raymond with his elite skill and hockey sense.

:thumbu:

Fezzy126

Rebuilding...
May 10, 2017

I'm not saying it's exactly the same situation or comparing these players, but these type of statements seem eerily similar to the 2016 draft when we were debating Juolevi vs guys like Chychrun, Sergachev, McAvoy, and Bean.

I haven't spent nearly as much time watching amateur hockey this year, but from my limited viewings it would be hard to pass on some of the elite toolset guys if they're available (Raymond, Holtz, Stuetzle).

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
I'm not saying it's exactly the same situation or comparing these players, but these type of statements seem eerily similar to the 2016 draft when we were debating Juolevi vs guys like Chychrun, Sergachev, McAvoy, and Bean.

I haven't spent nearly as much time watching amateur hockey this year, but from my limited viewings it would be hard to pass on some of the elite toolset guys if they're available (Raymond, Holtz, Stuetzle).

Well, hopefully they are scouting Lundell's video gaming habits...

:sarcasm:

m0pe

Feb 24, 2020

Khusnutdinov is the most underrated player in this draft. Future top-6 forward written all over him.

Doubt we would talk him, but him falling to the early 2nd would be the dream pick.

Fezzy126

Rebuilding...
May 10, 2017
Well, hopefully they are scouting Lundell's video gaming habits...

:sarcasm:

I had forgotten about that rumor :laugh:

I'm not down on Lundell, he looks like a fantastic prospect. His ceiling is just harder to get a handle on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad