Prospect Info: The 2020 - 2021 Prospects Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

theguardianII

Jan 30, 2020
Disappointed ... the one time JB draws a line in the sand ... I would rather have Tryamkin than Pearson. At the same money. And I don't think that amount was necessary. Once again JB absolute incompetence with spending to the cap costs them an opportunity.
shoot.jpg

Reactions: vanuck

lawrence

May 19, 2012
It’s too bad tryamkin is gone. I know he has a kid, but I don’t mind this. He was bottom pairing dman unproven player probably demanding more than he should be getting.‘it’s kinda sad but not huge loss at all.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
whatever he may be in the nhl, tryamkin is a top dman in russia who would get lots of offers there.

so i am not buying that tryamkin had to jump on an offer in russia may 1st, the day after his old contract expired. there is a big disconnect between this move and what his agent said about him wanting to come to the nhl.

you would also think if the canucks were not offering enough then diamond would ask them to explore trading his rights if his athlete wants to come to the nhl. surely a team (like seattle) would take a chance.

so it seems like there is a decent possibility tryamkin was only talking to the canucks to try and improve his bargaining position in russia. i'd be interested in how diamond feels.

Reactions: CanucksMJL

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
whatever he may be in the nhl, tryamkin is a top dman in russia who would get lots of offers there.

so i am not buying that tryamkin had to jump on an offer in russia may 1st, the day after his old contract expired. there is a big disconnect between this move and what his agent said about him wanting to come to the nhl.

you would also think if the canucks were not offering enough then diamond would ask them to explore trading his rights if his athlete wants to come to the nhl. surely a team (like seattle) would take a chance.

so it seems like there is a decent possibility tryamkin was only talking to the canucks to try and improve his bargaining position in russia. i'd be interested in how diamond feels.
There's also the possibility that Tryamkin and his agent actually follow the plight of the Canucks in the media, and decided that there was no way they were going to sign on with this %$&#-show.

Two more years in the KHL and he'll be a UFA, free to sign with any other NHL team.

Reactions: ChilliBilly

Catamarca Livin

Jul 29, 2010
I cannot believe that no team traded for his rights? Ottawa, Detroit, Montreal, Winnipeg, Toronto, Edmonton, Calgary, Boston. Basically everyteam should have had a little interest. He is a beast, with potential. Salary maybe scared teams away

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
I cannot believe that no team traded for his rights? Ottawa, Detroit, Montreal, Winnipeg, Toronto, Edmonton, Calgary, Boston. Basically everyteam should have had a little interest. He is a beast, with potential. Salary maybe scared teams away
He was asking for like 2.5M, that’s a big risk to take on for a guy that is not even dominant in the KHL.

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
He was asking for like 2.5M, that’s a big risk to take on for a guy that is not even dominant in the KHL.
You do realize that this is a mere $500,000 more than Jordy Benn was making and less than half of what Edler, Myers and Schmidt are making.

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
You do realize that this is a mere $500,000 more than Jordy Benn was making and less than half of what Edler, Myers and Schmidt are making.
It’s a flat cap world, teams don’t want to spend 2.5M on a guy that might only be good for the 3rd pair. You think teams have cash to burn next year?

Canuck Luck

Jun 15, 2008
Vancouver
Where did you get this info? Everything else reports he was basically looking for the Canucks to give him what he got in Russia. 1M tax free. So whatever 1M after taxes and escrow would be. Highly doubt that’s 2.5M

Gstank

Apr 27, 2015
Where did you get this info? Everything else reports he was basically looking for the Canucks to give him what he got in Russia. 1M tax free. So whatever 1M after taxes and escrow would be. Highly doubt that’s 2.5M

Off the top of my head that is close to 1.6 mill maybe 2

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
That was the rumor numbers from last season. I mean 1M Tax free is like 2M +

Van tax rate for athletes is 47% and you have to figure out travel tax and most importantly Escrow.

Last edited:

Canuck Luck

Jun 15, 2008
Vancouver
That was the rumor numbers from last season. I mean 1M Tax free is like 2M +

Van tax rate for athletes is 47% and you have to figure out travel tax and most importantly Escrow.
care to post the rumour? All I've ever seen is baseless fan speculation that it would take 2.5M. I've always been of the opinion he would sign for about 1.5M Based off the public negotiations, he was asking much closer to 1.5M than 2.5M

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
care to post the rumour? All I've ever seen is baseless fan speculation that it would take 2.5M. I've always been of the opinion he would sign for about 1.5M Based off the public negotiations, he was asking much closer to 1.5M than 2.5M
I mean he got 1M tax free in Russia? Do the math, 47% tax and escrow.

CanucksMJL

Context apologist.
Jul 6, 2009

Does it not suggest that Tryamkin had no intention of coming back to the NHL? The player tells his agent he wants to stay home and the agent goes about his business stirring shit up to provide leverage for his player.

If I want to be in the NHL I'm going to have enough patience to see how things play out. I'm waiting for real pressure points, like NHL free agency and KHL training camp. I'm looking for teams that can afford to take a chance on me after the flurry of July 1st.

He had all the time in the world to play one suitor against another, but he didn't. He didn't because he wanted to stay home and his agent played his cards as best he could knowing his client wanted to stay right where he was.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Does it not suggest that Tryamkin had no intention of coming back to the NHL? The player tells his agent he wants to stay home and the agent goes about his business stirring shit up to provide leverage for his player.

If I want to be in the NHL I'm going to have enough patience to see how things play out. I'm waiting for real pressure points, like NHL free agency and KHL training camp. I'm looking for teams that can afford to take a chance on me after the flurry of July 1st.

He had all the time in the world to play one suitor against another, but he didn't. He didn't because he wanted to stay home and his agent played his cards as best he could knowing his client wanted to stay right where he was.
It's possible that this is the scenario that played out. It's also possible that Tryamkin and his agent negotiated 'an opt out clause' in his KHL contract so that he can come to NA at any time. This is standard procedure for a lot of the better players in the KHL, although there's been nothing to indicate that Tryamkin signed this type of deal.

But if that were the case, then he might have been using the Canucks to get a better deal out of his club team. Remember last off-season, when Tryamkin and his agent waited for months for the Canucks to free up cap space. And when that didn't happen, his club team was already running out of money. So he signed for a lot less than he would have if he'd signed earlier. I'm sure the player and his agent weren't going to make that mistake again.

Reactions: CanucksMJL

RobertKron

Sep 1, 2007

This is obviously possible, but it's also possible that after last summer where they talked and then realized the Canucks couldn't make the cap work, they just said 'forget this' when there was no guaranteed commitment instead of dicking around only for the same thing to happen again.

A guy can want to play in the NHL and also realize that it's likely to be another headache ending in nothing and opt not to bother with the process.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
This is obviously possible, but it's also possible that after last summer where they talked and then realized the Canucks couldn't make the cap work, they just said 'forget this' when there was no guaranteed commitment instead of dicking around only for the same thing to happen again.

A guy can want to play in the NHL and also realize that it's likely to be another headache ending in nothing and opt not to bother with the process.

last year tryamkin signed july 16th which is two days after the league announced a playoff schedule but postponed any decision on timing of the 2020-21 season, the latter of which didn't get done for months.

i prefer to see it that he had a pragmatic choice to make and he made it. it was likely the right call for him.

if you want to believe he harboured resentment against the canucks because of covid, the flat cap and the nhl 2020-21 season uncertainty and that this year he walked away from millions of dollars over that,
you are welcome to believe that i guess.

i prefer to see it that he probably didn't want to come to north america for what he figured out his market value was, or else he was just trying to get his price up.

Canuck Luck

Jun 15, 2008
Vancouver

This. A guy that waited until the last possible minute last summer to try and come back and then goes on to only sign a 1yr deal to try again next summer isn’t someone I believe that was just using the Canucks as a bargaining chip rather than see the same story unfold get offered less in Russia for waiting it out again. I believe Dhaliwal had spoken to the coach or gm of tryamkin’s Russian team and they fully believed he wanted to be back in the nhl again. Him signing a 2 year agreement this time around is a sign to me. Fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me. He wasn’t giving Benning a 3rd chance and probably will look again when he is a ufa with other teams

this is 100% on Benning. Why did he wait until after the trade deadline to start negotiating? How does he not communicate well enough with diamond and tryamkin to know hey if you pull the same shit and try any negotiaton, he’s signing his offer from russia

classic we have a lot of time until we ran out of time benning

Last edited:

RobertKron

Sep 1, 2007
last year tryamkin signed july 16th which is two days after the league announced a playoff schedule but postponed any decision on timing of the 2020-21 season, the latter of which didn't get done for months.

i prefer to see it that he had a pragmatic choice to make and he made it. it was likely the right call for him.

if you want to believe he harboured resentment against the canucks because of covid, the flat cap and the nhl 2020-21 season uncertainty and that this year he walked away from millions of dollars over that,
you are welcome to believe that i guess.

i prefer to see it that he probably didn't want to come to north america for what he figured out his market value was, or else he was just trying to get his price up.

Benning has said that he was willing to pay Tryamkin was he was asking for. From what I gathered, it sounded like they couldn't make a solid commitment right now, and because of that the two sides hadn't started any sort of in-depth negotiations. My guess is that Tryamkin decided he'd rather just stay home than do the same thing they did last year where the team eventually couldn't make it work due to cap issues, given that it looked to be playing out in the same way.

ChilliBilly

Aug 22, 2007
chilliwacki
well, and the smart money says he realized that he will be a UFA, and his skillset might very well payoff into a handsome payday next summer, or whenever he can sign in NA.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Not that +/- is a great stat but it is interesting that for Utica the 4 players with the best +/- are:

Woo +7
Rathbone+6 (in 8 games)
Lockwood +6
Gadjovich +5

and the worst....

Sven Baertschi -12
The only guy who still thinks he's an NHL player is Sven.....it's back to Europe in just a few weeks.

ChilliBilly

Aug 22, 2007
chilliwacki
Just throwing this out there ... but we could have 3 players in the running for the Calder next year.

If Holtby gets taken in the ED to Seattle, dipietro, Rathbone and Podkolzin could all be in the mix.

Rathbone has looked great in his one game, and if Virtanen had the cerebral powers of Rathboner, he would be a valuable player.

Anyhow, those 3 and Juolevi should be regulars next year, or JB and TG should be gone. Heck, they should be gone anyways ....

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
Just throwing this out there ... but we could have 3 players in the running for the Calder next year.

If Holtby gets taken in the ED to Seattle, dipietro, Rathbone and Podkolzin could all be in the mix.

Rathbone has looked great in his one game, and if Virtanen had the cerebral powers of Rathboner, he would be a valuable player.

Anyhow, those 3 and Juolevi should be regulars next year, or JB and TG should be gone. Heck, they should be gone anyways ....
What do you Or they should be gone? They should be gone my retired friend Billy

And yes Jack FRICKIN Rathbone will win the Calder trophy next year, a year before his first Norris

Podz probably will be a runner up but wont be close. If Dipi is one too is just the ICING on the CAKE :nod:

Gstank

Apr 27, 2015
What do you Or they should be gone? They should be gone my retired friend Billy

And yes Jack FRICKIN Rathbone will win the Calder trophy next year, a year before his first Norris

Podz probably will be a runner up but wont be close. If Dipi is one too is just the ICING on the CAKE :nod:

The NHL 2022 all Rookie team better have 6 Canucks

Pod, Gad, Lind
Woo, Rathbone
Dipietro

:sarcasm:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad