Prospect Info: The 2020 - 2021 Prospects Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

RobertKron

Sep 1, 2007
Probably the right move for him to make. He's 23 and isn't tearing up either of the VHL or KHL. If he came over he'd be an AHL player who likely wouldn't top the list of call-ups. This essentially ends him as a Canucks prospect.

Realistically that ship probably sailed when he didn't get a contract coming out of the Q.

mkev400

Jul 21, 2016
You'd have the think the one prospect that has suffered the most in terms of development in the last year+ due to to COVID has been Michael Dipietro. He hasn't played in a game since Mar. 11th, 2020 and going back to 2019 he's only made 36 AHL appearances in over 2 years. He won't be going to Utica this season and maybe he gets a start or 2 in the final week of the season for the Canucks which means by the time next season rolls around he'll have barely played in 19-20 months. Will be interesting to see how this affects him going forward.

DiPietro has apparently been sent to Utica today. At least he might get some games this year...

Tables of Stats

Nov 1, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Realistically that ship probably sailed when he didn't get a contract coming out of the Q.
True, but there are enough Russian late bloomers that there might have been some hope left if he'd decided to come to the AHL after this season. He's no older than some college players and we've signed worse than him for free from those ranks.

RobertKron

Sep 1, 2007
True, but there are enough Russian late bloomers that there might have been some hope left if he'd decided to come to the AHL after this season. He's no older than some college players and we've signed worse than him for free from those ranks.

Fair enough. Most of those college guys are largely signed as AHL depth, with a slight hope that they still have some headroom to grow. The main difference being that they're typically more inclined to slug it out in the AHL for 70k/yr before eventually heading to Europe than a guy who is already playing at home over there.

Dude gave it his shot when he came over after he was drafted. I can't see it being too appealing to him to leave the KHL system to make minimum contract 2-way money for a couple years when he's almost certain to be back in the KHL when the contract is over. If he does blossom into a legit player in that time, he can always sign somewhere as a UFA if the NHL dream is still alive.

Last edited:
Reactions: Norade

sting101

Feb 8, 2012

Hope this is the case. He's earned it and would be a special moment

Probably will be overwhelmed but it would be a great side bar and distraction to have Rathbone and Lind step in and provide some kind of spark.

I watched Lind a great deal in Kelowna and he always struck me as the type of player that would compliment other skilled players. His footspeed and strength may never provide him enough game to be a good middle six NHL player but his hands vision and compete i doubt will be an issue. Has a bit of Corey Perry in him.

Reactions: ChilliBilly

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
Honestly, I would give Hughes a rest tomorrow and dress Rathbone. Hughes has looked absolutely bagged since the return from COVID - tops my list for guys that look like they just need a rest. It won’t happen, but man. He looks so exhausted.

But back to Lind - hope he gets to play, and hope the team can make it a memorable debut (or at least not get absolutely rolled).

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Honestly, I would give Hughes a rest tomorrow and dress Rathbone. Hughes has looked absolutely bagged since the return from COVID - tops my list for guys that look like they just need a rest. It won’t happen, but man. He looks so exhausted.

But back to Lind - hope he gets to play, and hope the team can make it a memorable debut (or at least not get absolutely rolled).
Couldn't agree more......Hughes is a truly an elite skater, but in that game he looked like he was trying to skate in quick-sand. He's bagged, pure and simple.

Of course it doesn't help that Green keeps riding him like a rented mule, playing him over 20 minutes a night. The ice time allocations were ridiculous again. Some guys like MacEwan and Virtanen barely get over eight minutes, while others like Horvat and Miller skate their legs off. Why? This team isn't going anywhere. What's the point of playing your best players until their tongues hang out? That's usually the time somebody suffers a serious injury.

Cory Hirsch went so far as to say on the Sportsnet post-game show, that if somebody goes down with a major injury, the player should sue the NHL, the team or somebody, for the schedule they're being forced to endure.

But the coach could make things a lot easier by gracefully running up the white flag and cutting back on the minutes for his top players. Rathbone, Lind, Michaelis and Rafferty should be 'automatics' down the stretch.

Gstank

Apr 27, 2015
I would like to see Lind, Lockwood, Jasek, and Gadjovach be given a legitmate shot at making the team next year. Along with Michaelis and MacEwen we should be able to at least 2 two NHL regulars out of that group, hopefully at least 1 3rd line player as well. On the Backend I would like to see 1 spot saved for the likes of Rathbone, Rafferty, Juolevi and have them compete for that spot in camp.

Im not sure what the plan with Dipeitro is but I would assume he is developed similar to Demko. One more year in the AHL followed by slowly gainning NHL experience for the next 2/3 years.

ChilliBilly

Aug 22, 2007
chilliwacki
Disappointed ... the one time JB draws a line in the sand ... I would rather have Tryamkin than Pearson. At the same money. And I don't think that amount was necessary. Once again JB absolute incompetence with spending to the cap costs them an opportunity.

Just A Bit Outside

Playoffs??!
Mar 6, 2010
No shit a deal with Tryamkin wasn’t going to get done.

The team has no money and the guy is t going to come back for peanuts.

Only an idiot would have thought or said otherwise.

Good thing the GM didn’t promise anything...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad