Prospect Info: The 2019 Entry NHL Draft Thread - Part II

Which combo is wetting your appetite the most? (4th & 25th as of 11/27)-(You only have two options)

• Total voters

Tommy Shelby

Feb 26, 2012
When my hopes and dreams are dashed again and we don't get Kakko, I'm hoping we can at least snag Cozens.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
I don't think Podkolzhin's contract is that big of a deal, really. Outside of the big two, the only player I can confidently project as being NHL ready next season is Cozens. Everybody else we pick in the range will likely be 1-2 years away from impact NHL production anyway, so if you think Pods is going to be the highest upside player, you pick him, period, and wait out his contract.

Reactions: cgf

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
I don't think Podkolzhin's contract is that big of a deal, really. Outside of the big two, the only player I can confidently project as being NHL ready next season is Cozens. Everybody else we pick in the range will likely be 1-2 years away from impact NHL production anyway, so if you think Pods is going to be the highest upside player, you pick him, period, and wait out his contract.

Or threaten him so he comes over sooner.

Jk.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Cozens is more like a skinny PLD to me

I read a long interview with Podkolzin, he's a thoughtful kid. Most of the Russians it's not about ambivalence toward playing in the NHL, they just want to be ready when they come over. Considering he didn't even play in the MHL last year he's not ready for the NHL next year anyway. High picks at a young age I don't think you'd need to worry about, they know that's their destiny and the team can put them in a role right away. I'd say one year and we'll see on him. Like Kravtsov is supposedly coming over right after his year ends in February. If it takes two years that's not unlike a CHL player. TBH the uncertainty over Russians leaving home and promises needed for it to happen isn't all that different from getting NCAA players to sign.

I wouldn't expect Podkolzin at the WJC and if he is there he won't play much, so may as well leave him at home.

Last edited:
Reactions: BKarchitect

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
I don't think Dach gets enough credit. I'll probably have to get a full years worth of evaluation because they're so close, but he's right there with Cozens IMO. Cozens seems to get most of the attention though.

Reactions: BKarchitect

Avsboy

Dec 12, 2006
Someone mentioned Getzlaf for a Cozens comparable. I doubt he reaches that level, his game isn't as translatable as someone like Dach.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
I don't think Dach gets enough credit. I'll probably have to get a full years worth of evaluation because they're so close, but he's right there with Cozens IMO. Cozens seems to get most of the attention though.

Kirby Dach also has the far superior name and we have to factor that in.

Reactions: cgf

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
If Kakko can find his footing as a C he'd have the potential to overtake Hughes.

I agree. Hughes is a very special talent with insane vision and creativity, and probably deserves to go #1 either way. It's hard to know exactly how much better than someone like Gaudreau he can be though.

Kakko on the other hand is the total package like Rantanen, but potentially even better. It'll be very interesting to see how their careers play out.

Piestany88

Sep 29, 2017
I agree. Hughes is a very special talent with insane vision and creativity, and probably deserves to go #1 either way. It's hard to know exactly how much better than someone like Gaudreau he can be though.

Kakko on the other hand is the total package like Rantanen, but potentially even better. It'll be very interesting to see how their careers play out.
I'd rather Kakko but if we end up with Hughes we could trade him to Vancouver, to play with his brother, for Petterson :naughty::sarcasm:

With the trade draft being held in Vancouver they could select Hughes in front of the home crowd :handclap:

Last edited:

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
I would be more than thrilled with this lottery result:sarcasm:

Lotto.JPG

AvsFan29

Mar 15, 2018
I'd rather Kakko but if we end up with Hughes we could trade him to Vancouver, to play with his brother, for Petterson :naughty::sarcasm:

With the trade draft being held in Vancouver they could select Hughes in front of the home crowd :handclap:

Not a bad idea, and Petterson looks incredible, but I'd rather roll the dice on a top pick incase he's even better.

Plus I'd prefer a C/LW

Brett44

Feb 11, 2017

If we have à 1st pick i hope Sakic trade Him for another pick between 2 and 10 + Horvat

Last edited:

Makar to MacK

Sep 14, 2018
Saint Cloud, FL
If we have à 1st pick i hope Sakic trade Him for another pick between 2 and 10 + Horvat
What is your rationale? Do you not like Hughes or Kakko? I personally like them both a lot. Hughes has amazing vision and is very creative, where Kakko's all around game is something to behold. I would love to get either and if we get a top 2 pick would not trade it for anything other then any teams farm (so to speak). It would take a lot for me to not take those 2 if in the position to do so. Just curious on your mind set here.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
I have a sinking, gut feeling Hughes ends up in Chicago....

A name y'all should be keeping an eye on is Bobby Brink. ;)

Nov 29, 2003
Screw You Blaster
Visit site
I'd love to get Kakko. He's a guy that opens up so much space for his linemates and doesn't really have a weakness. Good size as well. He may not be the 2C we all want (though, who knows, maybe his stint at C goes well and he gets played there more) but he'd be a mini Rantanen to jump start that second line.

Papa Francouz

Nov 25, 2013
Denver, CO
My gut feeling is we get Cozens. Agreed with hench that CHI gets Hughes, which will suck for us and everyone else in the Central, but it would be interesting to watch Hughes learn from Kane.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad