Prospect Info: The 2019 Entry NHL Draft Thread - Part II

Which combo is wetting your appetite the most? (4th & 25th as of 11/27)-(You only have two options)

• Total voters

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
You simply don't want my opinion on Reinhart ;)

To me there is a difference between being a passable center and a center you win with... Drai might be able to be a center, but I don't think he is a guy you find the best use out of there.

lol well what was it about Samson that threw the scouts then, if you think he just never had it in him?

Depends on whether Leon is on your first line or 2nd *shrug* have him centering our 2nd line with Jost and Jimmothy (or Kaut) on his wings, while replacing Wilson on the 1st unit PP, and we could win a lot while Leon pushes for PPG.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
I have a question regarding Jack Hughes. His most obvious player comp is Patrick Kane. Does Jack Hughes get moved to wing?

Most obvious comps don't really mean much... I mean every bigger 2 way defensemen with a nasty edge to his game is the next Pronger. Every big center out of the WHL is the next Getzlaf. Hughes is a center through and through.

John Mandalorian

2022 Avs: The First Dance
Nov 29, 2018
Most obvious comps don't really mean much... I mean every bigger 2 way defensemen with a nasty edge to his game is the next Pronger. Every big center out of the WHL is the next Getzlaf. Hughes is a center through and through.
Right but in recent years, bigger guys have been put at center and smaller guys pushed to wing. Regardless of how similar he is to Patrick Kane in all respects, is there a size limitation (which he has in common with Kane)?

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
lol well what was it about Samson that threw the scouts then, if you think he just never had it in him?

I didn't see the next level IQ that people thought he had, a poor shot (though I underrated that), and a thinner frame. He's a solid player and turning out to be a fringe 1st line wing, so I don't think there is much to scoff at there, but he wasn't the sure fire #1C he was thought to be.

Reactions: cgf

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Right but in recent years, bigger guys have been put at center and smaller guys pushed to wing. Regardless of how similar he is to Patrick Kane in all respects, is there a size limitation (which he has in common with Kane)?

That really isn't accurate... the trend is actually pushing the opposite way, but has more to do with skating and wanting the puck on the stick of the best players than any hard coded size. (if it isn't clear by my other posts, I fundamentally believe that small centers better be elite or near elite skaters)

This is coming from a person with a size preference at center. I prefer bigger centers over small centers all things being equal. Hughes is just one of those players that defies the preconceived notions.

Last edited:

Brett44

Feb 11, 2017
If you are a GM and you have 2 pick for build a 2nd line wich one do you prefer

1) Hugues- Grewe
2)Cozens- Pelletier
3)Dach- Boldy
4)Podkolzin-Guskov
5) Lavoie- Leason
6)Kakko-Krebs
7)Zegras- Höglander
8)Newhook-Turcotte
9)Suzuki-Poulin

Wich one will be the better pair?

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I didn't see the next level IQ that people thought he had, a poor shot (though I underrated that), and a thinner frame. He's a solid player and turning out to be a fringe 1st line wing, so I don't think there is much to scoff at there, but he wasn't the sure fire #1C he was thought to be.

Do you think he'd have had the skating to become that surefire #1C if he had that next level IQ and a thicker frame?

avsfan09

Dec 17, 2010
Nova Scotia
Tbf I still think Getzlaf works in Dachs case. His reach and size will allow him to hold onto the puck similarly to Getzlaf and hell be able to draw attention and dish in a similar way to Getz IMO.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Not sure I understand the Getzlaf 2.0 rumours either. Dach doesn't have as lethal as a shot as Getzlaf and doesn't use it as much as Ryan does. Dach is probably around Ryan Johnasen type of game for me and should perhaps have a similar impact if he makes it off at centre. I don't think Dach has that bad of a skating as Hench says, it is slow and needs to be improved no doubt, but it's not like he's at Vilardi or Leon bad (who I still both love).

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Oh Dach isn't Vilardi bad skating... to me Vilardi pre major injury issues was unlikely, but now after injuries...

avsfan09

Dec 17, 2010
Nova Scotia
Not sure I understand the Getzlaf 2.0 rumours either. Dach doesn't have as lethal as a shot as Getzlaf and doesn't use it as much as Ryan does. Dach is probably around Ryan Johnasen type of game for me and should perhaps have a similar impact if he makes it off at centre. I don't think Dach has that bad of a skating as Hench says, it is slow and needs to be improved no doubt, but it's not like he's at Vilardi or Leon bad (who I still both love).
Johansen is a good comp aswell but Getzlaf isnt exactly a big time shooter. I also think Dach has a better shot and will be a more productive goalscorer than Johansen.
Also comparing him to Getzlaf is mostly about tools and that his success will be due to similar things like size, reach IQ and size. Their games aren't perfectly mirrored and he likely doesn't touch Getzlafs high end.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
RyJo is always one of those weird comparables to me... the tools and ability are there for RyJo to be a 90+ point high, high end #1C, but the effort simply isn't there during the regular season. When the heat and effort turns up on the postseason, RyJo is as productive as just about any center out there sans Crosby

John Mandalorian

Nov 29, 2018
Which 4-10ish prospect has the best chance at being nhl ready the next year? Opinions?

Also, if you’re under the impression Dach will likely be a RW eventually, does anyone think he’ll progress faster if they directly put him at wing. Or does trying him at center not impact his progress?

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Seider is intriguing, but I don't know how to get ahold of DEL games to watch him. All I can get are YouTube highlights. Where do you see him? First rounder?
He's definitely a 1st rounder, but how high I am not sure since he's playing beyond his comfort zone majority of time as we see it in Russia and 17-year-old lads getting 3 minutes of ice time per game. Him actually making a DEL team is almost unheard of, so that is an impressive feat to even begin with. He plays one of those "good at everything, but great at nothing" type of games where his skating for a bigger body is one of those strengths. He can jump up and down the ice regularly due to his stride and create offence. Additionally, he can pass the puck, take a hit, and conduct everything you want from a defender.

The downside to his game is he tends to play soft at times and especially in the defencive zone. Again, not too sure if it is because he's generally soft, because he's underdeveloped, playing against men, or if it is a combination of everything. As I said the same faults about Dach playing below someone who is 6'4", Seider might have some of the same problems. I mean you notice that he's tall and lanky out there, but also understand why he gets beat by more mature players.

Furthermore, he makes questionable decisions at time with the puck and in regards to positioning on the ice. People had the same problem with a similar player, K'Andre Miller and he has shut up those critics. That doesn't mean that Seider is the same since they are totally two different people with two different path, but I do see a lot of the same strengths and weaknesses between both players. Due to that, I guess I would conclude is that I see him as this draft's version of K'Andre and should go around the same projection. Now with that said, I see that certain scouts and agencies have been ranking him pretty high lately - in the middle of the pack teens.

Reactions: MikeC and McMetal

John Mandalorian

Nov 29, 2018
Slightly off topic: Does any one know of a way to watch world juniors on the internet?

It’s too expensive to upgrade cable to have the nhl network. Currently I watch games through nhltv.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad