Prospect Info: The 2019 Entry NHL Draft Thread - Part II

Discussion in 'Colorado Avalanche' started by S E P H, Nov 27, 2018.

?

Which combo is wetting your appetite the most? (4th & 25th as of 11/27)-(You only have two options)

1. 4th: Dylan Cozens, C [Lethbridge Hurricanes, WHL]

52.7%
  2. 4th: Alex Turcotte, C [USNTDP, USHL]

13.7%
  3. 4th: Matthew Boldy, C [USNTDP, USHL]

0.8%
  4. 4th: Vasili Podkolzin, RW [Vityaz Podolsk, MHL]

18.3%
  5. 4th: Bowen Byram, LD [Vancouver Giants, WHL]

9.2%
  6. 4th Overall - Other Prospect [List Below]

3.1%
  7. 25th: Alex Vlasic, LD [USNTDP, USHL]

6.9%
  8. 25th: Nolan Foote, LW [Kelowna Rockets, WHL]

35.9%
  9. 25th: Tobias Bjornfot, LD [Djurgardens, SuperElit

6.1%
  10. 25th: Jakob Pelletier, C [Moncton Wildcats, LHJMQ]

5.3%
  11. 25th: Mikko Kokkonen, LD [Jukurit, Liiga]

26.0%
  12. 25th Overall - Other Prospect [List Below]

10.7%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. S E P H

S E P H @SEPH_WHL

WHL
  2. cgf

cgf FireBednarsSuccessor

Browbeaten Bookkeeper
    Why come no "one of our FRPs is traded" option?

3. henchman24

henchman24 Mr. Meeseeks

Cozens and Knight :nod:

CobraAcesS likes this.
  4. Piestany88

Piestany88 Registered User

Skarek is playing well , wish we had taken him instead Annunen but it's still early

5. VikingAv

VikingAv Mediiic!!

Zegras (he'll keep rising throughout the year and end up 3-6) and Knight. That's right, I went there; Knight.

Edit: ****, thought I'd be first to mention him in this one :madfire:

6. S E P H

S E P H @SEPH_WHL

WHL
    Decided to do my own poll again since I didn't get any suggestions from the previous thread.
    I quite like what @McMetal said about them. I haven't watched too much Broberg since the start of the season, but he's still one of my favourite prospects in this draft. Big, dynamic, and can handle the puck with ease - he's also well built at his age and seen kids bounce off of him. One of the best attributes is that he can command the game from the back end and don't see too many players in this draft able to do that - still reminds me of John Carlson. One concern I have about him is that certain Swedes are complaining about his lack of IQ or that he doesn't have enough to go along with his athletic attributes. Not sure which one it is yet, but I didn't notice a lack of it when I watched him play at Ivan and when he started the season in Sweden. That will be the major question-mark between a top 6 position and a top 15 position where he's ranked throughout.

Byram is awesome and as McM said he is a rock defencively. Additionally, he is an explosive and a smooth skater which it is such an advantage for him at all ends of the ice, but especially in the defencive zone. However, he isn't only good because of his skating, but intelligence is a huge part of his game as well. Besides his skating, I wouldn't consider him a very athletic-based player, but when you know where to put your stick defencively majority of the time, you can look almost unstoppable at the junior level. I watched games where teams would dump the puck in his corner for the forecheque and he got it out with ease. As the game kept progressing you noticed that the team started dumping the puck in less and less in his corner because it was out at the maximum of two plays. Not sure how much offense he has for the future, but his skating, vision, and IQ could have the same impact that Girard has in regards to long passes for the transitional game. If there is one aspect I would classify him as good in the offencive category, it is that his field of vision is fantastic and his ability to skate really reminds me of Morgan Rielly. If there is one negative, it is that he tends to play a finesse game outsmarting his opponent majority of the time. That and I think there is some limitation in his offencive game. If you're drafting him, you're drafting him to shut the door defencively first and foremost even if there is two-way ability in his game.

I still have Cam York as the best defender for the draft currently, because even though he doesn't have Broberg's size or Byram's defencive traits, he is definitely the most skilled out of the three with the puck. You can't really teach the offencive game to players, but you sure can teach the defencive side and York is a smoother version of Tyson Barrie.

7. S E P H

S E P H @SEPH_WHL

WHL
    Lol...please cgf don't give me nightmares, please no more nightmares.

Yes please, but I actually don't see Knight falling to 25th which is why I didn't list him there.

8. AvsFan29

AvsFan29 Registered User

Is Dach solidly in 3rd now? Kid is amazing. So smooth and has off the charts hockey IQ.

9. landy92mack29

landy92mack29 Bowen Byram #44

Dach/Byram/Krebs/Cozens+Dorofeyev

10. Piestany88

I quite like Broberg too and I'll take your word on his puckhandling over Sam Costentino

11. Piestany88

Also seeing as we have two 3rds who are the best rated goalies ranked in that range and is there a Russian. They are my favorite goalies

Last edited: Nov 27, 2018
  12. S E P H

S E P H @SEPH_WHL

WHL
    Mikko Kokkonen is another name to watch. Him and Aaltonen were hyped the past couple of years by the Finn's on the prospect board, lost a bit of hype last year, but rebounding this year. Kokkonen is not only playing in Finland's main league and is looking like a natural veteran player similar to Heiskanen, but he's posting up some solid numbers as well. He's one of those prototypical modern-age defenders where he's a good skater, has a decent level of IQ, and has enough tools to be considered a 1st rounder. So far I would label him as a mid-pairing defender, but he's absolutely climbing the rankings perhaps showing he's much more. I know a couple of scouts who absolutely love him and have him as a mid-teen player. Reminds me of a lot of Brandon Montour and could have comparable impact.

JLo217 likes this.
  13. Piestany88

He is on the world junior roster correct ?

14. Gigantor The Goalie

Gigantor The Goalie Speak for the Goalies

I wouldn't look to Russia for draft eligible goalies this year. Next year yes with Yaroslavl Askarov.

15. Piestany88

:thumbu: Ok Finnish or Swedish , I would prefer a forward and a D with the 1st rounders but what about with our 2nd even . Not sure I'd want to spend a 1st on Knight and he probably won't slide to our 2nd rounder

16. S E P H

S E P H @SEPH_WHL

WHL
    WJC U20 teams are tricky, because some countries like Russia will only bring 19 year old players and play them to death even for the sake of talent like we saw last year Svechnikov. Other teams will play players regardless of age because they are talented than most of the older generations like Suisse and Denmark. Finland is one of those countries which I see them in between, where their team is filled entirely of 19 year olds, but are not afraid to play underagers in prime roles. Hell, one of the best junior teams of perhaps all-time (which you can argue) was with draft-eligible Puliujarvi, draft-eligible Juolevi, and draft-eligible Laine all being significant factors.

I haven't looked at which players can be available for certain countries yet, but I guess that Kokkenen would have a good chance of getting a role (though perhaps on the limited side).

E: This Finnish team might look completely different on the back-end since Valimaki, Heiskanen, Jokiharju, and Vaakanainen are all playing in the NHL/AHL. It entirely depends on which teams will allow the players to join the tournament, which will have an impact on Kokkonen joining. Holy smokes, that is an insane defencive core who are all eligible for this year's WJC.

17. Foppa Frossa

Foppa Frossa Registered User

Packet Herder
    Mikko Rantanen, Kappo Kakko, Mikko Kokkonen. Peter McNab would just straight up quit.

18. Bubba Thudd

Bubba Thudd Manic Depressive Who Walks In The Rain

Cantankerous Curmudgeon
    *whetting your appetite

19. Gigantor The Goalie

Gigantor The Goalie Speak for the Goalies

The Finnish draft class this year hasn't been something to write home about so far in terms of high end goalie prospects. Sweden could potentially have a very good goalie class however international goalies are a bit harder to keep an eye than ones here in North America.

20. AvsFan29

AvsFan29 Registered User

I'd be ok with that. He's the John Madden of hoxkey

21. Foppa Frossa

Foppa Frossa Registered User

Packet Herder
    I like McNab

Newusername, RareDangles and cgf like this.
  22. AvsFan29

AvsFan29 Registered User

He's a likeable guy, he just points out the obvious too often, and if you took a shot every time he mentions his career, you'd die.

23. AllAboutAvs

AllAboutAvs Registered User

I'll go against most this time around. My choice are Byram - Beecher/Knight/Spiridonov (if there is no issue with him coming over to NA).

Don't get me wrong, if we can't get Hughes or Kakko, I'd be happy with either Dach or Cozens but I would prefer using a 4th on a potential top-pairing LHD. Until a couple of weeks ago I was happy with Z and G on the left side but with Z inconsistencies I am starting to see a possible hole in that top-4 on the left. In no way am I giving up on Z yet but I would prefer to play it safe in drafting another potential top-pairing LHD. It is now becoming evident how important it is to have in your top-4 very mobile dman with high IQ and very good at moving the puck. If they both reach their potential having a top-pair of Byram-Makar along with a second pair of G and EJ/Timmins/Meloche makes me drool a little (yeah I know...where is Barrie?).

24. cgf

cgf FireBednarsSuccessor

Browbeaten Bookkeeper
    “So I asked Mikko about what advice he had for Kakko on his transition to NA & the smaller ice Mose and he just shook his head & said to me ‘wrong one’”

25. cgf

cgf FireBednarsSuccessor

Browbeaten Bookkeeper
    You monster