Prospect Info: The 2019 Entry NHL Draft Thread - Part II

Which combo is wetting your appetite the most? (4th & 25th as of 11/27)-(You only have two options)

• Total voters

Papa Francouz

Nov 25, 2013
Denver, CO
But the thing is that Kakko may very well end up being a center and Hughes a winger.
Sure, but I haven't seen anything to convince me of that happening. Not saying it won't, but the chances are much greater of Hughes at center and Kakko at wing than the other way around.

BleedWell

Jan 6, 2018
Sure, but I haven't seen anything to convince me of that happening. Not saying it won't, but the chances are much greater of Hughes at center and Kakko at wing than the other way around.
Well Kakko just played two days ago as a first line center in Liiga. And he played well. About Hughes I don't know, my personal hunch is he will be a winger in the NHL. We'll see I guess.

Papa Francouz

Nov 25, 2013
Denver, CO
Well Kakko just played two days ago as a first line center in Liiga. And he played well. About Hughes I don't know, my personal hunch is he will be a winger in the NHL. We'll see I guess.
I'd read that Kakko had played as a 1C for the first time, but I haven't seen him play there myself. I've seen him play exceptionally well on the wing, but if he can transition to center and continue producing, then more power to him. It's going to take more than one game for me to believe he will succeed at the center position in the NHL, though.

BleedWell

Jan 6, 2018
I'd read that Kakko had played as a 1C for the first time, but I haven't seen him play there myself. I've seen him play exceptionally well on the wing, but if he can transition to center and continue producing, then more power to him. It's going to take more than one game for me to believe he will succeed at the center position in the NHL, though.
Well It's a start and he's playing style and size is perfectly fitted as a center. If I would have to bet I'd say Kakko will play more likely as a center in the NHL than Hughes.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
Well, now we're getting into specific positions. We could get into how Karlsson is more or less a generation talent among blueliners, and I'm not necessarily against that but I just feel like overall the term just gets waaaay overused. Hell, I think the term "elite" gets overused.

Mind you, I'm not goin' all Highlander on people here, generational talents can overlap--obviously Gretzky and Lemieux fit that bill, and so do Roy, Hasek, and Brodeur, same goes for Crosby and McDavid. I just think guys like Matthews, MacKinnon, and Eichel are a step below.

Total side note here, NHL Radio talked about the numbers Sean Monahan has put up vs. MacKinnon's...we know MacKinnon was a late bloomer in some ways but it's still astounding how close the two are, and Monahan is an elite talent in his own right.

No I totally agree with you the word generation gets thrown around way to liberally. But Ovi’s an obvious one so figured I’d throw it out there.

Reactions: Pokecheque

Papa Francouz

Nov 25, 2013
Denver, CO
Well It's a start and he's playing style and size is perfectly fitted as a center. If I would have to bet I'd say Kakko will play more likely as a center in the NHL than Hughes.
To be clear, I wouldn't be upset if Kakko ended up at center at all. Ending up with either one of Hughes or Kakko would be a boon to this franchise. All I'm saying is I haven't seen enough of Kakko at center to be confident in his ability to play there.

Reactions: BleedWell

AvsFan29

Mar 15, 2018
To be clear, I wouldn't be upset if Kakko ended up at center at all. Ending up with either one of Hughes or Kakko would be a boon to this franchise. All I'm saying is I haven't seen enough of Kakko at center to be confident in his ability to play there.
Kakko has impressed me a lot more than Hughes this year. The first pick would be amazing, but 2nd would be just as good. There isn't much of a cap between Hughes and Kakko. The top 6-7 are all great players.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Can someone give me the rundown on Lavoie? Kid seems like the complete package
Lavoie is good, but not amazing. Good player with size that is hard to control, but definitely not a powerforward by any means. I think his stat line is a bit better than what he actually is, but has enough talent to be a midteen 1st rounder. Reminds me of JvR.

I have a sinking, gut feeling Hughes ends up in Chicago....

A name y'all should be keeping an eye on is Bobby Brink. ;)
Meh, he's okay. Really hardworking kid with a good head on his shoulders and solid shot, but his skating sucks and he's really raw for my liking. I suggest that Brasilian Kallionkieli projects as the better forward in the long run as of now.

Pretty much wrong on all accounts - going into Carey Price 2.0 mode. Not saying he will project better than any of those players, but Jack easily has the skill and potential to surpass some of those.

Last edited:

Papa Francouz

Nov 25, 2013
Denver, CO
Kakko has impressed me a lot more than Hughes this year. The first pick would be amazing, but 2nd would be just as good. There isn't much of a cap between Hughes and Kakko. The top 6-7 are all great players.
I think the gap between Hughes and Kakko is larger than some people realize, but the gap between Kakko and the rest of the field is also pretty substantial. I’d be very happy with a top-5 pick, completely shocked and excited at #2, and absolutely over the moon if we got #1.

Reactions: Tommy G

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Pretty much wrong on all accounts - going into Carey Price 2.0 mode. Not saying he will project better than any of those players, but Jack easily has the skill and potential to surpass some of those.

Which one? He named only 3.

AvsFan29

Mar 15, 2018
I think the gap between Hughes and Kakko is larger than some people realize, but the gap between Kakko and the rest of the field is also pretty substantial. I’d be very happy with a top-5 pick, completely shocked and excited at #2, and absolutely over the moon if we got #1.
I have some concerns over Hughes size and toughness. Seems to get pushed around a lot. I would still run around the streets naked if we drafted him.

Him as a 2c and a 2nd PP leader would be unbelievable. I feel the same way about Kakko and a few others. Dach is one of the smoothest skaters and stickhandlers I've ever seen.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
MacK & McDavid, obviously
Jokes aside, it is pretty remarkable that a player as good as Matthews came from Arizona. That said, he definitely has the potential to be better than MacKinnon and Matthews (not sure I consider either of them generational, but if they are then Hughes is absolutely in that conversation), Hughes should be a less talented version of McDavid. How much less talented is anybody's guess.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
I have some concerns over Hughes size and toughness. Seems to get pushed around a lot. I would still run around the streets naked if we drafted him.

Him as a 2c and a 2nd PP leader would be unbelievable. I feel the same way about Kakko and a few others. Dach is one of the smoothest skaters and stickhandlers I've ever seen.

I feel like you should make that bet. It can't be worse than eating a worm.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
Jokes aside, it is pretty remarkable that a player as good as Matthews came from Arizona. That said, he definitely has the potential to be better than MacKinnon and Matthews (not sure I consider either of them generational, but if they are then Hughes is absolutely in that conversation), Hughes should be a less talented version of McDavid. How much less talented is anybody's guess.

So you're saying he could be anywhere from the next US born McDavid to the next Clayton Keller?

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
So you're saying he could be anywhere from the next US born McDavid to the next Clayton Keller?
In terms of 1st overall picks. Hughes to me is on the same level of Dahlin, so if you thought Rasmus was generational then Jack is generational.E: I should say that if Kakko is most definitely able to achieve centre status (which there are rumours they will try at the WJC), then he's absolutely right there with him.

Keller is going to eat Jack's dust, that doesn't mean Clayton is bad by any means and will go higher in re-draft threads once he GTFO out Arizona or the Coyotes become a good team.

Yah. They'll have to run to catch me
If you mean them running away scared in all directions and some how running into you from utter panic, sure... :sarcasm:

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
In terms of 1st overall picks.

Keller is going to eat Jack's dust, that doesn't mean Clayton is bad by any means and will go higher in re-draft threads once he GTFO out Arizona or the Coyotes become a good team.

shark%20jumps2_1470753367080_10141974_ver1.0_640_360.jpg

Reactions: S E P H

AvsFan29

Mar 15, 2018
Mackinnon has been putting up close to 1.40 P/GP for like 105 games.

If you factor in that he only had 5 points in his first 10 game last season, he's been scoring at a 1.46P/GP for the last 95 games lol

1.46 for 95 games.

That is nearing the limit for how good anybody could be in hockey today. It's unreal.

If you think Hughes is could be better than MacKinnon, he must be generational. Nobody is saying he's generational.

I'd love To have him though.

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC

I don't think Hughes has developed or shown enough to be in the conversation as McDavid. McDavid put up 120 points in 42 games in the CHL, basically unheard of for a player going into their draft year. While Hughes is having a good season, 48 points in 25 games doesn't exactly scream generational to me. I'd say he's closer to Eichel than McDavid in terms of expectations, which isn't a slight by any means.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad