Prospect Info: The 2019 Entry NHL Draft Thread - Part II

Which combo is wetting your appetite the most? (4th & 25th as of 11/27)-(You only have two options)

• Total voters

AvsMakar08

Feb 14, 2017
New York
What are the prospect player comparisons. Which current NHL star player would Huges be? What about Kakko? Will he be a franchise player? Why would a 160 plus pound Jack Hughes ranked 1st overall pick? Is he that amazing?

Perratrooper

May 26, 2016
Alberta
What are the prospect player comparisons. Which current NHL star player would Huges be? What about Kakko? Will he be a franchise player? Why would a 160 plus pound Jack Hughes ranked 1st overall pick? Is he that amazing?

Hughes is like a Kane or Gudreau, immensely skilled, shifty and fast, with amazing hockey IQ, but a small body. Don’t know enough about Kakko to give a comparison.

Reactions: AvsMakar08

AvsFan29

Mar 15, 2018
Hughes is like a Kane or Gudreau, immensely skilled, shifty and fast, with amazing hockey IQ, but a small body. Don’t know enough about Kakko to give a comparison.
Another thing that Hughes has going for him, is that the league in general is trending away from an overly physical style of play. Hughes is a lot less likely to be killed these days, than he was even 5 years ago.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
Easy comparison for Hughes is Patrick Kane as a center. He's absolutely as crafty as Kane, and his hands are comparable as well. He might be a better skater in tight spaces, too.

For Kakko, a lot of people say Finnish Forsberg, but I actually see a lot of Joe Sakic on his shot. His wrister is amazing. Both have easy franchise potential.

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
Hughes is rated number one because he is basically Patrick Kane but plays center. He sees the ice very well, and is very shifty.

I'm not sure he is the franchise player like McDavid, MacKinnon or Matthews. But he still could be very good for any franchise. If we were to land him we'd easily be considered top three in terms of top 6 centers. It wouldn't get much better than MacKinnon and Hughes.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
We have enough to part with another top 15 pick?

Knight's name starts popping near or inside the top 10 it seems. I don't know where he'll end up getting drafted but he's definitely trending up. In the mock draft that you (?) posted the other day one of the 3 expert had him going at 7OA.

Going for the potential franchise goalie with a 1st round pick would be quite a change in the AVS' way of drafting goalies but they did change their habits for Makar 2 years ago and drafted a D with a top pick so it's not impossible.

Having stability in front of the net is very important and teams that seems to never find it are just doomed (hello STL).

For those who think he will take too long to develop...Knight could be ready for most of Makar, Girard and OTT's 1st pick prime and also the 2nd half of Mack and Rants' prime. That's pretty damn good. And if he's really Price/Vasilevski level our cup window could be longer just because of him.

Last edited:

BleedWell

Jan 6, 2018
Hughes is like Rocco Grimaldi but softer.
Kakko is like Peter Forsberg but tougher.

Bubba Thudd

is getting banned
Jul 19, 2005
Avaland
I keep rolling 2 & 12, and the mock having us pick Kakko & Byram.

(not sure how you guys are getting the pics to show here...)

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Sounds like there is another team in the league who do not like CHL goalers, well at least late round ones. @3:35

It's always fascinating to watch even though they only show the bits that they want to show. I'd actually pay money to watch an uncensored version of these from every team.

Reactions: cgf

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Using the tankathon website for lottery, Bob McKenzie's midterm for player draft placement, and capfriendly for pick projection I got...

[1st] 3rd overall:
9.png
Vasili Podkolzin (RW) SKA-1946 St. Petersburg
9.png
MHL
12 6 2 8 2
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[1st] 12th overall:
3.png
Ryan Suzuki (C) Barrie Colts
3.png
OHL
46 17 34 51 8
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[2nd] 43rd overall:
3.png
Jamieson Rees (C) Sarnia Sting
3.png
OHL
29 9 19 28 33
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[3rd] 63rd overall:
6.png
Ryder Donovan (C) Duluth East High
6.png
USHS-MN
21 10 22 32 37
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[3rd] 74th overall: (overager)
1.png
Samuel Fagemo (LW/RW) Frölunda HC
1.png
SHL
30 9 7 16 6
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Now my personal choices would look like...

[1st] 3rd overall:
6.png
Alex Turcotte (C) U.S. National U18 Team
6.png
USDP
16 11 12 23 8
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[1st] 12th overall:
6.png
Spencer Knight (G) U.S. National U18 Team
6.png
USDP
16 2.38 .921
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[2nd] 43rd overall:
1.png
Albin Grewe (C/RW) Djurgårdens IF J20
1.png
SuperElit
21 11 19 30 96
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[3rd] 63rd overall:
21.png
Nikita Alexandrov (C) Charlottetown Islanders
3.png
QMJHL
47 24 25 49 26
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[3rd] 74th overall:
3.png
Billy Constantinou (D) Niagara IceDogs
3.png
OHL
22 4 11 15 14
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Reactions: Balthazar

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Super underrated player right there... wouldn't at all be opposed to selecting him in the 2nd.
He's this years Kaut for me; fantastic anticipation, unbelievable on the forecheque, plays a surprising heavy game, and knows where to distribute the puck making him a long-term centre for me. Wonderful player even if he doesn't play a flashy game, but does so much right.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
He's this years Kaut for me; fantastic anticipation, unbelievable on the forecheque, plays a surprising heavy game, and knows where to distribute the puck making him a long-term centre for me. Wonderful player even if he doesn't play a flashy game, but does so much right.

Yup... plays a game I'm very drawn to and as he fills out (though I don't think his frame is all that great... 190-195 guy long term), I think his game will translate very nicely. His play in tight space is some of the best in this draft. Always composed and calm with pressure, while making high percentage plays consistently. I want to see a bit more skill to project him as a top 6 sort of guy, but has a lot of qualities I like for a #3 sort. Reminds me of a bigger and slightly more skilled Sobotka.

Last edited:
Reactions: S E P H

MikeC

Feb 28, 2002
L'Assomption
Using the tankathon website for lottery, Bob McKenzie's midterm for player draft placement, and capfriendly for pick projection I got...

Now my personal choices would look like...

[1st] 3rd overall:
6.png
Alex Turcotte (C) U.S. National U18 Team
6.png
USDP
16 11 12 23 8
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[1st] 12th overall:
6.png
Spencer Knight (G) U.S. National U18 Team
6.png
USDP