Prospect Info: The 2019 Draft Thread - Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

ImmuneEH

Apr 2, 2017
Most of those guys aren’t eligible to even play In The u18s

I'm totally out of the loop. Shame lol. If we wind up with the #10 pick and Hughes, Kakko, Byram, Dach, Turcotte, Zagreb, Cozens, Podkolzin, and Krebs are off the board, who do you pick? (I understand that someone could fall). There isn't an obvious choice among the names in that U18 list I mentioned.

Pelletier - Stats look good, all I can really say.

Caufield - Does the fact that we already have a tiny F in the system in Yamamoto affect this pick? It's another risky pick while our current high draft pick forwards are struggling (you'd prefer something a little safer).

Suzuki - Arguably a pretty safe pick, but is his ceiling very high? Great left shot playmaking C... we already have those. What does he bring to the table that our current trio of C's don't? This is someone that I'd admit I'm unfairly pessimistic about.

Lavoie - Big RHC with good speed, knows how to use his size, has good hands, solid vision, and a great shot. Projects as more of a W I hear... I think he'd compliment our C's nicely.

Newhook - Risky in the sense of not knowing how good he is relevant to his peers due to the league he's playing in.

Boldy - Forward with good size and good finish, I wouldn't mind this pick.

My conclusion: picking someone from the pool of Soderstrom, Lavoie, Boldy, and York would be a solid 1st round draft choice. People with different priorities wouldn't feel the same.

780il

edm
May 29, 2018
Edmonton AB
I'm totally out of the loop. Shame lol. If we wind up with the #10 pick and Hughes, Kakko, Byram, Dach, Turcotte, Zagreb, Cozens, Podkolzin, and Krebs are off the board, who do you pick? (I understand that someone could fall). There isn't an obvious choice among the names in that U18 list I mentioned.

Caufield - Does the fact that we already have a tiny F in the system in Yamamoto affect this pick? It's another risky pick while our current high draft pick forwards are struggling (you'd prefer something a little safer).

Suzuki - Arguably a pretty safe pick, but is his ceiling very high? Elite left shot playmaking C... we already have those. What does he bring to the table that our current trio of C's don't? This is someone that I'd admit I'm unfairly pessimistic about.

Lavoie - Big RHC with good speed, knows how to use his size, has good hands, solid vision, and a great shot. Projects as more of a W I hear... I think he'd compliment our C's nicely.

Newhook - Risky in the sense of not knowing how good he is relevant to his peers due to the league he's playing in.

Trade down until like 15 ish and take Lavoie.

Trade up into the 20's and take Spencer Knight

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
It's going to be interesting to see where Graeme Clarke goes in the draft.

His numbers aren't great because he's been used in a depth role since Ottawa is so good and he's one of those guys who only has average size and average skating, but I get some Tyler Toffoli vibes from him.

Has a great shot. 5 goals in 2 playoffs games so far.

Last edited:

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
I see a lot of people mentioning Lavoie lately. What's the scouting report on him? I haven't really seen him at all. What are his major strengths and weaknesses?

Reactions: KYams17

SK13

non torsii subligarium
Jul 23, 2007
Edmonton
Trade down until like 15 ish and take Lavoie.

Trade up into the 20's and take Spencer Knight

I feel like I'm saying this every year now, but I feel like I have very little interest in seeing the Oilers keep this draft pick (barring a lottery win) and even less interest in them trading down.

booyakasha

Oct 11, 2007
Edmonton, AB

Suzuki - Arguably a pretty safe pick, but is his ceiling very high? Great left shot playmaking C... we already have those. What does he bring to the table that our current trio of C's don't? This is someone that I'd admit I'm unfairly pessimistic about.

My conclusion: picking someone from the pool of Soderstrom, Lavoie, Boldy, and York would be a solid 1st round draft choice. People with different priorities wouldn't feel the same.

I like your auto correct.
prekrasan grad

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
I'm not sure I agree in terms of skill, but organizationally goaltending isn't high on the list of needs.
Of course goaltending is a big need. That bald fool in net can't be our#1 if we want playoffs... but we also can't have a rookie goalie. It seems like a dilemma

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Of course goaltending is a big need. That bald fool in net can't be our#1 if we want playoffs... but we also can't have a rookie goalie. It seems like a dilemma
I'm not sure what you're arguing here. Goaltenders generally have a development path of an average of five seasons before they get penciled into an NHL roster. Our depth at the position is fairly strong today with Starrett, Skinner, Wells, Hawkey and Rodrigue all in the mix over the next few years. I don't see the Oilers burning a high pick to address that need in the short term.

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008
1. Hughes
2. Kakko
3. Byram
4. Dach
5. Krebs
6. Turcotte
7. Cozens
8. Podkolzin

I think this is my list right now based on my viewings.

MinimaMoralia

May 1, 2015
I see a lot of people mentioning Lavoie lately. What's the scouting report on him? I haven't really seen him at all. What are his major strengths and weaknesses?

I managed to catch a handful of Moosehead games whilst visiting fam, and walked away impressed. Reminded me a bit of Drai. Great boots for such a big guy, of course he has his great shot and he knows how to use it, but I also was digging his puck-possession, protection and play-making. Can stick-handle in a phone booth. Like Drai, impossible to beat on the boards, eyes in the back of his head, and surprisingly feisty. Doesn’t back down and frankly, pretty quietly nasty. He can give some filthy chops to the hands or feet away from play.
However, also like Drai, can fail to show up for periods, or entire games, can forget to move his feet, and occasionally prone to be a giveaway machine. Alsooo, while not a slouch in his own zone, there’s room for improvement. Tends to fly the zone.
But for a pick between 8-12, I don’t think you can get much better than him.
Of course I’m not saying he’ll be Draisatl, but maybe a more balanced Mantha type is reasonable.

Last edited:
Reactions: Zaddy and 780il

780il

edm
May 29, 2018
Edmonton AB
I managed to catch a handful of Moosehead games whilst visiting fam, and walked away impressed. Reminded me a bit of Drai. Great boots for such a big guy, of course he has his great shot and he knows how to use it, but I also was digging his puck-possession, protection and play-making. Can stick-handle in a phone booth. Like Drai, impossible to beat on the boards, eyes in the back of his head, and surprisingly feisty. Doesn’t back down and frankly, pretty quietly nasty. He can give some filthy chops to the hands or feet away from play.
However, also like Drai, can fail to show up for periods, or entire games, can forget to move his feet, and occasionally prone to be a giveaway machine. Alsooo, while not a slouch in his own zone, there’s room for improvement. Tends to fly the zone.
But for a pick between 8-12, I don’t think you can get much better than him.
Of course I’m not saying he’ll be Draisatl, but maybe a more balanced Mantha type is reasonable.
I think he plays wing in the NHL.

So, put him with Mcdavid and on his spot on the #1pp (ovi spot) and I think he could be a 35 goal, 70 point guy.

Reactions: MinimaMoralia

MinimaMoralia

May 1, 2015
I think he plays wing in the NHL.

So, put him with Mcdavid and on his spot on the #1pp (ovi spot) and I think he could be a 35 goal, 70 point guy.

He’s exactly what we’d dream of trading for, big fast young RH goal scorer, there’s no doubt he’d be at least somewhat successful here.
How successful, well, that’s up to our brass.

Reactions: Llamamoto and 780il
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad