Prospect Info: The 2019 Draft Thread - Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
I managed to catch a handful of Moosehead games whilst visiting fam, and walked away impressed. Reminded me a bit of Drai. Great boots for such a big guy, of course he has his great shot and he knows how to use it, but I also was digging his puck-possession, protection and play-making. Can stick-handle in a phone booth. Like Drai, impossible to beat on the boards, eyes in the back of his head, and surprisingly feisty. Doesn’t back down and frankly, pretty quietly nasty. He can give some filthy chops to the hands or feet away from play.
However, also like Drai, can fail to show up for periods, or entire games, can forget to move his feet, and occasionally prone to be a giveaway machine. Alsooo, while not a slouch in his own zone, there’s room for improvement. Tends to fly the zone.
But for a pick between 8-12, I don’t think you can get much better than him.
Of course I’m not saying he’ll be Draisatl, but maybe a more balanced Mantha type is reasonable.
So somewhere between Dal Colle and Drai..Got it!

MettleMcOiler

5-14-6-1
Mar 9, 2011
Edmonton
So just like the last 3 first rounders then?

It is still kind of a weak spot I think. Nobody really has a strangle hold on the RW positions and I think our RD will make some significant changes with contracts ending in the next couple years. We still don't know what we really have in Puljujarvi, Yamamoto, Bear, Bouchard. Having another top pick righty gives us insurance that the position may be filled with a nhl caliber player in the future.

Obviously choose BPA but if there is similar caliber players available and one is a righty.
I think they will go righty.

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
My pick would be

Hughes if we get #1

Kakko at #2

Byram at#3

after that I would take Cozens. I think his skillset is tailor made for this team. I see him as a Tkatchuk type who is getting passed on by many for some reasons

Turcotte would be my next goto

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
My pick would be

Hughes if we get #1

Kakko at #2

Byram at#3

after that I would take Cozens. I think his skillset is tailor made for this team. I see him as a Tkatchuk type who is getting passed on by many for some reasons

Turcotte would be my next goto

Tkachuk is a very smart player who knows exactly where to be on the ice. Cozens is like the complete opposite of that. Cozens is a toolsy guy whereas Tkachuk is a guy who relies on high IQ and doesn't really have any tools that stand out. Pulju is a much better comparison for Cozens.

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005
Cozens will be fine where we will pick if we dont win a lottery (8-10OA)
He is a scorer, plays in WHL, shoots right, is fast and has size.
He could be anything from a M.A.Pouliot to P.L.Dubois

McDoused

Feb 5, 2007
Katy <3
Tkachuk is a very smart player who knows exactly where to be on the ice. Cozens is like the complete opposite of that. Cozens is a toolsy guy whereas Tkachuk is a guy who relies on high IQ and doesn't really have any tools that stand out. Pulju is a much better comparison for Cozens.

I still see Jeff Carter in Cozens.

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
https://www.tsn.ca/craig-s-list-hughes-leads-class-heavy-on-american-talent-1.1279391
Both Kirby Dach and Peyton Krebs ranked pretty low in his latest rankings. He seems to be really high Trevor Zegras.

Top 5
1. Jack Hughes
2. Kaapo Kakko
3. Vasili Podkolzin
4. Trevor Zegras
5. Bowen Byram

Probably the worst rankings I've seen so far this year. Would be funny to bookmark it and go back and look at it five years from now. Dach #15 and Krebs #17 is just...bad. That's not even mentioning having Broberg ahead of all of York, Söderström and Heinola. Newhook at #27 is way too low for a guy with his talent too.

ConnorMcMullet

#12 Colby Cave
Jun 10, 2017
Reactions: Llamamoto

Slats432

Jun 2, 2002
hockeypedia.com
That list is a straight up joke.

The fact that Dorofeyev isn't even on his list (includes 93 players) tells you all you need to know.

9.png
Pavel Dorofeyev

stalnye_lisy_magnitogorsk-2.png
Stalnye Lisy Magnitogorsk / MHL - 18/19
Ranked #20 by HOCKEYPROSPECT.COM
Ranked #25 by FUTURE CONSIDERATIONS
Ranked #30 by MCKEEN'S HOCKEY
Ranked #18 by NHL CENTRAL SCOUTING (EU Skaters)
Ranked #65 by TSN/McKenzie

aspin3

Oct 31, 2017
That list is a straight up joke.

The fact that Dorofeyev isn't even on his list (includes 93 players) tells you all you need to know.
WEll, this is the guy that did not put Bouchard on the top 50 NHL prospects in January but put guys like Tippet, Ty Smith, Noah Dobson, etc. on the list.

Llamamoto

Nice Bison. Kind Bison. Yep.
Sep 5, 2018
WEll, this is the guy that did not put Bouchard on the top 50 NHL prospects in January but put guys like Tippet, Ty Smith, Noah Dobson, etc. on the list.

The crazy thing is how much he liked Bouchard before he was drafted by Edmonton. His anti-Oilers bias is so obvious.

But yeah, his list is easily one of the worst I've seen yet.

nafrelio

Aug 26, 2005
brite feuchure
He probably meant to insert Dorofeyev but mistakenly put Nikoleyev, no? Interesting list. Gives us a few more prospects to look at more closely. Not sure why he would have Dach and Krebs so low. They look like studs to my eyes.

McDoused

Feb 5, 2007
Katy <3
I usually dont agree with Button but I like that he has his own opinion and doesnt conform to the norm. It makes for interesting discussions.

Zegras at 4 jumps off the page a bit. It's hard not to like him. He seems to be able to do it all. I still have Turcotte and Cozens ahead of him but he could be a riser.

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
I usually dont agree with Button but I like that he has his own opinion and doesnt conform to the norm. It makes for interesting discussions.

Zegras at 4 jumps off the page a bit. It's hard not to like him. He seems to be able to do it all. I still have Turcotte and Cozens ahead of him but he could be a riser.

I used to have some respect for Button, but after seeing how heavily he weighs international tournaments and incredibly small sample sizes his list just doesn't do much for me. It's good to have different lists and thoughts and can definitely help foster some healthy discussion, but there also need to be some form of substantiation too.

I mean, I doubt Button has even seen a lot of the guys on his list more than 1-2 times. Like, there's no way he has paid close tabs on guys like Heinola and Söderström over in Finland and Sweden, respectively, or even Broberg for that matter. The ranking of those guys is based purely off international tournaments (Hlinka and WJC) and not off any league play (where Heinola and Söderström have really shined).

That's why his list is so flawed.

To reinforce my point and address @ConnorMcMullet re Dorofeyev, all you need to do is take a wander over to EliteProspects and check their respective stat lines. Dorofeyev did not play in the Ivan Hlinka nor in the WJAC whereas Nikolayev played in both tournaments. It's as simple as that.

Reactions: McDNicks17
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad