Prospect Info: The 2019 Draft Thread - Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
I think the things that have held Jesse back aren't a concern with Kaako, and Kaako's demeanor seems less sensitive and more pro ready which should help. If they were to pass on him though, I wonder if trading down with Ottawa, the Rangers or LA and picking up a second 1st rounder would be on the table assuming one of those teams doesn't win a lotto pick. They could potentially nab Tomasino in the back half of the first round. If they ended up with Dach/Turcotte and Tomasino that would look pretty good. Passing on Kaako when you're trying to improve the big club quickly though is questionable.

Yeah for me I have zero concerns with Kakko. But I wonder if the Oilers (the incompetent bunch that they are) would be scared of taking another highly rated finnish guy at the top of the draft. I think passing on Kakko and trading down would be a huge mistake.

gordonhught

Feb 18, 2009
Tracking Draft Position

Took a peak at the schedules of some teams around us.

Teams Behind Us
NYR - No way they pass us, they have a very tough schedule to close out the season.
Anaheim - Can't see them passing us since they are 2 points behind us while we have 2 games in hand.
Buffalo - I can see them passing us (even though they've been a poor team lately) because they have a pretty soft schedule.

Teams Ahead of Us
Vancouver - They are 3 points up but we have 1 game in hand. They have a pretty tough schedule, I can see us passing them.
Chicago - They are 3 points up and have 1 game in hand. Only one of their remaining games is against a team lower than them in the standings (LAK). I think they are good enough to go .500 to close the season and stay ahead of us.

Edmonton - I think tonight's game against the CBJ determines a lot. If we can beat a team that is fighting and clawing to hold onto the final wildcard spot, I can definitely see us winning the next two against the Sens and Kings.

Overall, I'd say we'd be picking as low as 7th and as high as 9th (with an outside chance at #10).

I think Krebs will be available at our pick, and we'll be watching to see if anyone drops.

I think there is generally a consensus of what players are in the top 9. If we pick at 10, I'd go with Lavoie. I wonder if we see teams reaching for Soderstrom or Kaliyev within the top 9.

I am thinking high as 7 and low as 11 (maybe 12 if a team jumps us in the lottery).

Oilers should do what they did last year. Just wait for a team or two to reach and let a good player fall to them at their ultimate draft position.

ImmuneEH

Apr 2, 2017
I am thinking high as 7 and low as 11 (maybe 12 if a team jumps us in the lottery).

Oilers should do what they did last year. Just wait for a team or two to reach and let a good player fall to them at their ultimate draft position.

I haven't been around that long, and I never think it's going to happen - but it always happens.

When I look at the rankings in the early teens, I'm just not that enthusiastic about most of those picks. Is the gap between Pelletier, Boldy, Lavoie, Suzuki, Caulfield, Newhook and the collection of Tomasino, Brink, and McMichael really that big?

Of that first group, I really like Lavoie. Alternatively, I wouldn't mind it if we traded our 1st for Carolina's #20 and #38 picks. Montreal has the #18, #48, and #49. If the goal is to fill up the forward pipeline, that's a good start.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017

And if the guy is no longer there. Trade down

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
McMichael isn't looking that impressive. Actually watching him for the first time outside of highlights.

Delicious Pancakes

Top Pocket Find
Apr 23, 2012
Home
Yeah for me I have zero concerns with Kakko. But I wonder if the Oilers (the incompetent bunch that they are) would be scared of taking another highly rated finnish guy at the top of the draft. I think passing on Kakko and trading down would be a huge mistake.

I agree. I'm hopeful the next GM hire is competent when it comes to amateur/professional scouting and already has a book on this year's draft class when they're hired.

Reactions: Zaddy

GameChanger

Jun 29, 2016
Kakko just scored 2+1 in his team's 2nd playoff game and was involved in all three goals they scored. Whoever gets to pick him will get a fine player who seems to be developing at a great rate.

MikeGrier99

May 20, 2017
What a dream it would be to be able to draft him. Very unlikely to happen of course, but one can hope....

We got arguably the wildest dream you could hope for since Lemieux and it hasn't exactly worked out for us. I feel another first overall would inevitably get squandered again.

Reactions: Aerrol

McDrai

Mar 29, 2009
We got arguably the wildest dream you could hope for since Lemieux and it hasn't exactly worked out for us. I feel another first overall would inevitably get squandered again.

Agreed. We could pick first overall several years in a row and would still manage to be a terrible hockey team. Now with that being said, Daddy wants a shiny new toy (Kakko) ;)

Reactions: 780il

Llamamoto

Nice Bison. Kind Bison. Yep.
Sep 5, 2018
IMO Krebs has an underrated shot. He has a quick release and an accurate wrist shot. If he puts on some muscle, he could become really good.

Reminds me a bit of Barret Hayton, who went from an almost identical ppg as Krebs in his draft year to 66 points in 39 games in his draft +1 year.

ConnorMcMullet

#12 Colby Cave
Jun 10, 2017
Kakko is a monster. Depending on the team that wins the lottery, he definitely has a shot at 1st overall.

ConnorMcMullet

#12 Colby Cave
Jun 10, 2017
Updated 1st round rankings:

1. Kakko
2. Hughes
3. Turcotte
4. Dach
5. Byram
6. Zegras
7. Krebs
8. Cozens
9. Podkolzin
10. Boldy
11. York
12. Newhook
13. Lavoie
14. Dorofeyev
15. Soderstrom
16. Heinola
17. Tomasino
18. Kaliyev
19. McMichael
20. Caufield
21. Brink
22. Pelletier
23. Suzuki
24. Harley
25. Broberg
26. Hoglander
27. Sieder
28. Poulin
29. M. Robertson
30. Leason
31. Foote

Llamamoto

Nice Bison. Kind Bison. Yep.
Sep 5, 2018
I have a clear top-7.

Kakko
Hughes
Turcotte
Dach
Byram
Zegras
Krebs

Boy do I hope we land of these guys.

Edit: @ConnorMcMullet, didn't see your post. I have the same top-7.

Reactions: dustrock

ConnorMcMullet

#12 Colby Cave
Jun 10, 2017
I've got a feeling we're going to draft Peyton Krebs this year. A really strong feeling.

I'd be very happy with that. His vision is among the top of the draft, he's got a quick and accurate release, and is up there with Turcotte as best 2-way forward in the draft.

With some added muscle, he could be a beast.

ConnorMcMullet

#12 Colby Cave
Jun 10, 2017
I have a clear top-7.

Kakko
Hughes
Turcotte
Dach
Byram
Zegras
Krebs

Boy do I hope we land of these guys.
Same as me! If none of these guys are available, I'd try to trade down and get 2 guys in the 10-20 range.

Like I said though, I've got a feeling we get Krebs.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
I've got a feeling we're going to draft Peyton Krebs this year. A really strong feeling.

I'd be very happy with that. His vision is among the top of the draft, he's got a quick and accurate release, and is up there with Turcotte as best 2-way forward in the draft.

With some added muscle, he could be a beast.
I agree with this.

But damn is his team terrible.

Reactions: Llamamoto
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad