Prospect Info: The 2019 Draft Thread - Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

McDoused

Feb 5, 2007
Katy <3
The top 10 is almost always pretty solid. Outside of a year like last year the top 10 stays in the top 10 except for a single reach. The order changes up a bit but 9/10 of top 10 consensus picks stay there.
At least basing it off MacKenzies list.
Last year was crazy and against the norm.

Last year was definitely a lot different then most years, for sure. You are also correct, most of the guys in the top 10 stay in the top 10 with maybe one guy falling.

Perhaps reach isnt the best word for it but I think teams have become better at identify the player they like and taking him. Good teams have an eye for talent and arent afraid to take a guy a couple spots higher then he is ranked.

In 2017 Elias Petterson was ranked 7th on Bob's list and Vancouver had no problem taking him a couple picks higher at 5.

In 2016 Colunbus took Dubois over Puljujarvi at 3 even though he was ranked 5.

In 2015 Marner went 4 even though he was ranked 6th.

Sure they arent huge reaches but I have my doubts that our scouts are doing their due diligence identifying talent.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Last year was definitely a lot different then most years, for sure. You are also correct, most of the guys in the top 10 stay in the top 10 with maybe one guy falling.

Perhaps reach isnt the best word for it but I think teams have become better at identify the player they like and taking him. Good teams have an eye for talent and arent afraid to take a guy a couple spots higher then he is ranked.

In 2017 Elias Petterson was ranked 7th on Bob's list and Vancouver had no problem taking him a couple picks higher at 5.

In 2016 Colunbus took Dubois over Puljujarvi at 3 even though he was ranked 5.

In 2015 Marner went 4 even though he was ranked 6th.

Sure they arent huge reaches but I have my doubts that our scouts are doing their due diligence identifying talent.
Our amateur scouts have done a pretty good job the last few years so the draft is not a worry for me right now.

That said revisionist history can always make it seem better or worse

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
We picked bust after bust chasing the next Milan Lucic years ago, the last thing I want to do is go back to drafting for a certain type of guy.

It's funny how HFOil complains about the character and physical players the team has tried to get yet they want the next Milan Lucic type player. Talk about being hypocritical

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
Is there a Brady Tkachuk type player in this draft?

Edit: we need one.

Not much grit in this draft, by the looks of it.

Albin Grewe might be the closest thing. He'll probably go somewhere around our 2nd. Don't know much about him, but sounds like he's got plenty of skill and grit. Have you seen much of him, @Zaddy ?

For later in the draft, there's Navrin Mutter out of the OHL. Nowhere near the skill of a Tkachuk, but he did start scoring a bit later in the season. Plays like pre-suspension Tom Wilson. Lots of dirty hits and no one wants to scrap him.

ConnorMcMullet

#12 Colby Cave
Jun 10, 2017
We're not in the range to get him, but Bobby Brink is going to be real good. Undersized but very skilled, and has got better ppg than Boldy, Zegras, and Caufield in the USHL.

FWIW, Turcotte is ahead of Hughes.

Llamamoto

Nice Bison. Kind Bison. Yep.
Sep 5, 2018
We're not in the range to get him, but Bobby Brink is going to be real good. Undersized but very skilled, and has got better ppg than Boldy, Zegras, and Caufield in the USHL.

He's playing at a 68 goal pace in the USHL. And its not like its a small sample size. He's played 42 games. Right handed. Although some people question his decision making, say that it isn't fast enough.

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
Not much grit in this draft, by the looks of it.

Albin Grewe might be the closest thing. He'll probably go somewhere around our 2nd. Don't know much about him, but sounds like he's got plenty of skill and grit. Have you seen much of him, @Zaddy ?

I haven't seen Grewe a lot so I'm by no means an expert on him but whenever I did he never impressed me or caught my eye. I think he's the type of guy who is invisible most of the game aside from 1-2 good rushes or plays that ultimately don't result in anything happening. More flash than substance to his game.

I watched a shift-by-shift on him now to refresh my memory and yeah...I really don't like his play off the puck. Looks to have very average hockey IQ and is very reactive (rather than proactive) to the play, something I never like seeing in a player. He's pretty good with the puck on his stick (although he loses it way too easily while trying to dangle) and demonstrated some vision and playmaking skill.

I don't really see a high-end player there. Looks more like a potential bottom-six guy to me. Honestly he kind of reminds of Kassian. Not skilled or smart enough to be a top6 forward, but works hard and is physical and can complement some more skilled forwards on his line. Problem is Kassian is 6'3, 209 lbs while Grewe is 6'0, 176 lbs...gonna be hard for him to play his style of game in the NHL at his size.

I would look to take someone with higher upside with the 2nd round pick personally I think.

dustrock

Too Legit To Quit
Sep 22, 2008

Brink could be a real home run pick, I agree. Isn't skating the issue with him? If you're undersized and can't skate, it's a hard sell.

Roof Daddy

Apr 1, 2008
I’d be ok with trading back this year to take a guy like Tomasino or Seider. Seider should be there where Vegas is picking (unless they make Conference finals). I’d move back to their pick if they give us Haula.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
I’d be ok with trading back this year to take a guy like Tomasino or Seider. Seider should be there where Vegas is picking (unless they make Conference finals). I’d move back to their pick if they give us Haula.
You would be okay with moving from 7/8 to like...20 for a guy who has had ONE good year in his entire career and missed almost the entire season?
I'm hoping they are also adding a good prospect or a 2nd.

Roof Daddy

Apr 1, 2008
You would be okay with moving from 7/8 to like...20 for a guy who has had ONE good year in his entire career and missed almost the entire season?
I'm hoping they are also adding a good prospect or a 2nd.

Their pick will be 17th (unless they make final 4, which kills the idea). So it’s moving back 10 spots, a move I’d value at costing two 2nd rd picks - which is what Vegas fans expect in return. But you are correct that I failed to mention his health, we’ll have to see how he looks in the playoffs.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Their pick will be 17th (unless they make final 4, which kills the idea). So it’s moving back 10 spots, a move I’d value at costing two 2nd rd picks - which is what Vegas fans expect in return. But you are correct that I failed to mention his health, we’ll have to see how he looks in the playoffs.
Yeah at this point, 2 2nds for a 28 year old with one season above 50 points and has had a heavily injured season is an overpay. Even though I like him.

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008
Just horrible.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad