Prospect Info: The 2019 Draft Thread - Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

ImmuneEH

Apr 2, 2017
Seems like if our pick falls out of the top 9 things could get a tad worrisome.

I think that Hughes, Kakko, Dach, Turcotte, Byram, Cozens, Podkolzin, Zagreb, and Krebs are all 'safe picks'. Meaning they are all safe bets to become solid NHLers.

I say worrisome because JP has obviously struggled + injury worries, and Yamamoto has skill but it is not known if he will overcome his size. This is a pick we have to really make count.

There will still be some solid players on the board obviously, but there are a lot more 'question marks'.

Roof Daddy

Apr 1, 2008
Seems like if our pick falls out of the top 9 things could get a tad worrisome.

I think that Hughes, Kakko, Dach, Turcotte, Byram, Cozens, Podkolzin, Zagreb, and Krebs are all 'safe picks'. Meaning they are all safe bets to become solid NHLers.

I say worrisome because JP has obviously struggled + injury worries, and Yamamoto has skill but it is not known if he will overcome his size. This is a pick we have to really make count.

There will still be some solid players on the board obviously, but there are a lot more 'question marks'.

This might be a good year to trade back. If we’re at 10 and there’s somebody another team is high on, I have no problem moving back to 17 while nabbing a 2nd, take Tomasino @ 17 (kid reminds me of Jake DeBrusk).

Reactions: Mcnotloilersfan

ImmuneEH

Apr 2, 2017
This might be a good year to trade back. If we’re at 10 and there’s somebody another team is high on, I have no problem moving back to 17 while nabbing a 2nd, take Tomasino @ 17 (kid reminds me of Jake DeBrusk).

I feel the same. I don't think the difference between the pick at 10 and picks in the 17-20 range is that large. If we traded down we could either get a 2nd, a prospect, or a useful roster player.

Soli

Supervision Required
Sep 8, 2005

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario

I think there's actually a decent drop-off right around 13th.

Tier 1 - Hughes, Kakko
Tier 2 - Turcotte, Podkolzin, Dach, Cozens, Byram
Tier 3 - Boldy, Zegras, Krebs, Soderstrom, York

Reactions: dustrock

780il

edm
May 29, 2018
Edmonton AB
I was just at the Oil Kings vs Ice game today.

Robertson didn't really impress me at all. He's a no flash defensive guy that doesn't really do anything offensively.

Krebs didn't really show very well (the puck was in his zone most of the time). I noticed that he was playing center, can play wing as well. They were also using him on the point of the pp. He's a fluid skater and a clearly talented guy that's obviously being held back by the quality of his teammates. He pks pretty well and is a good passer, needs to shoot more.

Reactions: MessierII

MettleMcOiler

5-14-6-1
Mar 9, 2011
Edmonton
I'm in the boat in overdrafting for defencemen and then trade for the wingers we need with the overflow of depth. I would love to see our top 6 d-core full of top 4 d-men.

MettleMcOiler

5-14-6-1
Mar 9, 2011
Edmonton
IMO we've done a bit of that already albeit maybe we should've taken Wilde instead of McLeod at this past draft.

I just would like to keep on the same path. And then maybe finally hit a home run and get a legitimate 1D and 2D pairing.

1D - 2D
Top 4- Top 4
Top4 - Top 4

That would be a dream to finally see.
I would want to focus defence heavy drafting until we finally get this. This is just me though.

ConnorMcMullet

#12 Colby Cave
Jun 10, 2017
Posted this in the other thread:

March 2019 Draft Rankings

1. Kakko
2. Hughes
3. Turcotte
4. Dach
5. Byram
6. Krebs
7. Zegras
8. Cozens
9. Podkolzin
10. Boldy
11. York
12. McMichael
13. Lavoie
14. Dorofeyev
15. Kaliyev
16. Newhook
17. Pelletier
18. Soderstrom
19. Pelletier
20.Heinola
21. Broberg
22. Suzuki
23. Caufield
24. Hoglander
25. Sieder
26. N. Robertson
27. M. Robertson
28. Leason
29. Harley
30. Brink
31. Foote

ConnorMcMullet

#12 Colby Cave
Jun 10, 2017
I was just at the Oil Kings vs Ice game today.

Robertson didn't really impress me at all. He's a no flash defensive guy that doesn't really do anything offensively.

Krebs didn't really show very well (the puck was in his zone most of the time). I noticed that he was playing center, can play wing as well. They were also using him on the point of the pp. He's a fluid skater and a clearly talented guy that's obviously being held back by the quality of his teammates. He pks pretty well and is a good passer, needs to shoot more.
Yeah, I probably wouldn't even draft Robertson with our 2nd.

Krebs is interesting, and I've had a lot of the same thoughts when watching his shift-by-shifts. I like his game, but I'm not sure how much upside he's got.

Zegras, someone who hasn't been talked about a lot here, is pretty much the opposite. He's a bit small and turns the puck over a bit too much, but has got a ton of upside. If he can put it together, his ceiling is very high.

Who do you have ahead?

lakai17

Aug 10, 2006
I think there's actually a decent drop-off right around 13th.

Tier 1 - Hughes, Kakko
Tier 2 - Turcotte, Podkolzin, Dach, Cozens, Byram
Tier 3 - Boldy, Zegras, Krebs, Soderstrom, York

Byram has moved up to my tier 1. Kid is dynamite.

780il

edm
May 29, 2018
Edmonton AB
Yeah, I probably wouldn't even draft Robertson with our 2nd.

Krebs is interesting, and I've had a lot of the same thoughts when watching his shift-by-shifts. I like his game, but I'm not sure how much upside he's got.

Zegras, someone who hasn't been talked about a lot here, is pretty much the opposite. He's a bit small and turns the puck over a bit too much, but has got a ton of upside. If he can put it together, his ceiling is very high.

Who do you have ahead?
I like Zegras more than Krebs personally. His upside is huge.

Reactions: Llamamoto

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
If the Oilers drop a few spots my next target outside the obvious ones would be Ville Heinola. He's super-underrated in the rankings at the moment but he's having a real solid year.

13 points in 32 games in FEL, compared to Heiskanen who had 10 in 37 in his draft year. Heinola looked solid at the WJC too and mostly played top-pairing together with Jokiharju on a finnish gold-medal winning team.

It's insane to see how little hype he gets, but the same thing happened with Heiskanen. It wasn't until the U18 worlds that his draft stock saw a massive improvement. Maybe the same thing will happen with Heinola.

Llamamoto

Nice Bison. Kind Bison. Yep.
Sep 5, 2018
If the Oilers drop a few spots my next target outside the obvious ones would be Ville Heinola. He's super-underrated in the rankings at the moment but he's having a real solid year.

13 points in 32 games in FEL, compared to Heiskanen who had 10 in 37 in his draft year. Heinola looked solid at the WJC too and mostly played top-pairing together with Jokiharju on a finnish gold-medal winning team.

It's insane to see how little hype he gets, but the same thing happened with Heiskanen. It wasn't until the U18 worlds that his draft stock saw a massive improvement. Maybe the same thing will happen with Heinola.

I agree completely with this. He scored a goal and had an assist in 4 1/2 games in the WJC. Such a smart and smooth skating defensemen. Probably my 3rd favourite defensemen after Byram and York, possibly even 2nd behind Byram.

Reactions: Zaddy

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
I haven't paid enough attention to prospects this year, but I know a few people who have seen Dylan Cousins play on the road this year and they've given me the impression that he's a safe pick. DO NOT want to see us draft Josh Williams or Matthew Robertson. Last thing this franchise needs is a bunch of memberberry picks. Only way I'm cool with seeing them get drafted is if they fall very far.

I'm in the boat in overdrafting for defencemen and then trade for the wingers we need with the overflow of depth. I would love to see our top 6 d-core full of top 4 d-men.

It scares me how often I hear people say stuff of this sort. Intentionally over drafting via position will destroy your prospect pool. You always want to go BPA. If you're drafting and developing well consistently you will have a good team and you'll be able to afford to trade away young talent to address areas of concern.

ConnorMcMullet

#12 Colby Cave
Jun 10, 2017
I haven't paid enough attention to prospects this year, but I know a few people who have seen Dylan Cousins play on the road this year and they've given me the impression that he's a safe pick. DO NOT want to see us draft Josh Williams or Matthew Robertson. Last thing this franchise needs is a bunch of memberberry picks. Only way I'm cool with seeing them get drafted is if they fall very far.

It scares me how often I hear people say stuff of this sort. Intentionally over drafting via position will destroy your prospect pool. You always want to go BPA. If you're drafting and developing well consistently you will have a good team and you'll be able to afford to trade away young talent to address areas of concern.
Agree about Robertson and Williams. Alex Vlasic is another one.

However, I wouldn't say Cozens is a safe pick. He's a toolsy guy with questionable IQ (not a fan myself). I think a safe guy in the top-10 is Peyton Krebs, but his upside isn't as high as most of the others. I think we should just go BPA this draft with highest upside being the factor used to rank them (although obviously taking into account the likelihood of them reaching their potential too) , NOT best player currently.

Reactions: Llamamoto and thadd
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad