The 2019-20 Around the League Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
He's been one of the worst players in the NHL for 3 seasons running aside from a blip at the start of Vegas' first season.

Whether this is another blip, whether it's a matter of McDavid being just that freaking good, or whether he was that out of shape that a summer of actual training revitalized him this much remains to be seen.

It couldn't be that conversion rates have swung the other way for him?

And as has been said previous: For him to be judged as "one of the worst players in the NHL for the past 3 seasons", there has to be range modifiers for how well he produces. There has to be an accounting of positive and negative attributes by degree. No one has done this to this point.

Otherwise, a mucker that simply saws off a 4th line shift can be said to be better than Neal --> It just doesn't hold.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
It couldn't be that conversion rates have swung the other way for him?

And as has been said previous: For him to be judged as "one of the worst players in the NHL for the past 3 seasons", there has to be range modifiers for how well he produces. There has to be an accounting of positive and negative attributes by degree. No one has done this to this point.

Otherwise, a mucker that simply saws off a 4th line shift can be said to be better than Neal --> It just doesn't hold.

Everyone talks about the year in Calgary but the previous two years were horrible and there's a reason two top franchises bailed on him despite the 20 GOALZ.

Despite playing the softest minutes imaginable on two powerhouse teams, he turned in a -21 ES goal differential in those two years and when you watched him play his motor was completely broken and he tracked the play back defensively probably worse than any player in the NHL. Was a total liability despite OK hockey card stats.

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
Everyone talks about the year in Calgary but the previous two years were horrible and there's a reason two top franchises bailed on him despite the 20 GOALZ.

Despite playing the softest minutes imaginable on two powerhouse teams, he turned in a -21 ES goal differential in those two years and when you watched him play his motor was completely broken and he tracked the play back defensively probably worse than any player in the NHL. Was a total liability despite OK hockey card stats.

First paragraph is an appeal.

Second paragraph is inconclusive. Until someone quantifies how bad a player would have to be to nullify his offensive performance at the extremes, this will always remain inconclusive.

Just curious though, will you hold to your opinion on Neal being a non-NHLer if he scores 30 goals? How about 40 goals? What is your cut off?

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
First paragraph is an appeal.

Second paragraph is inconclusive. Until someone quantifies how bad a player would have to be to nullify his offensive performance at the extremes, this will always remain inconclusive.

Just curious though, will you hold to your opinion on Neal being a non-NHLer if he scores 30 goals? How about 40 goals? What is your cut off?

If it’s objectively obvious that he’s causing more goals for his team than he’s costing them, I will change my opinion.

In prior years, it’s been obvious he’s been bleeding more goals than he creates.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
neal is valuable to the oilers if he can be a latterday anson carter. being able to effectively exploit the talent of his linemate and generate excitement and positive energy on that team is worth more right now than any shortcomings he has to the oilers even if he is a net negative player. as long as he scores goals they will take it.

but yes, obviously, he has massive shortcomings. he is only effective in a top 6 role and he is defensively suspect to the point he operates to a different standard that is bad for morale. he needs to score a lot of goals to offset those weaknesses.

Reactions: vancityluongo

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
You have to imagine that under Tippett if Neal is costing the team defensively he's not going to get the chance to play. Tippett and defense and structure first, offense second.

Balls Mahoney

2015-2016 HF Premier League World Champion
Aug 14, 2008
Legend
I've watched two or three Devils games now since the open of the season. Subban looks just awful. Not sure if he's coming back from injury or what his deal is but he looks like a liability on the ice for the Devils.

Fire Benning

diaper filled piss baby
Oct 2, 2016
Hell
I've watched two or three Devils games now since the open of the season. Subban looks just awful. Not sure if he's coming back from injury or what his deal is but he looks like a liability on the ice for the Devils.

For a 3 year span before MTL traded him he was a top 5 defender in the sport, he had back injury problems 2 years ago and hasn't been able to get back to that level.

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
Re: 91-21-86 playing together

“I think it’ll be interesting to see how they are. They’re good players,” Leafs coach Mike Babcock said Thursday morning, handing out compliments before raising eyebrows.
“I’m not sure there’s enough puck to go around. We can find out.”

11pts. Yes, Babcock. Yes you did find out.

Nice to see TO getting stomped.

One would hope it would shut up the Toronto media (aka TSN) but that is only just a dream.
You mean the media that thought this:

duviracucaavcaq-jpg.263041

NuxFan09

Jun 8, 2008
Merritt, BC

“I think it’ll be interesting to see how they are. They’re good players,” Leafs coach Mike Babcock said Thursday morning, handing out compliments before raising eyebrows.

Lol! What a joke!

Burke's Evil Spirit

Oct 29, 2002
San Francisco

Goaltending!!!! Andrei Vasilevskiy just won the VEZINA TROPHY

Reactions: MS and Jyrki21

vanuck

Now with 100% less Benning!
Dec 28, 2009

This is hilarious! TBL is still the best team in the league... except to homer Leafs media that is.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014

This is great! :laugh:

They played the cup winning Blues the game before I wonder if there was something like this for that as well :DD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad