Supreme Overlord of Crap
Jan 3, 2010
Toronto
Previous thread
Around the League: 2019 Offseason || Part 2

Last posts from previous thread

Murmurs I heard was that it was because Podkolzin was available at 10

If anyone it should be Laine

I agree. Tough to fit in that salary elsewhere at this stage though, assuming he holds out until getting close to $10mil. Likely easier to find a fit with Ehlers at $6mil or Connor at similar money.

Gonna be interesting to see how things play out in Winnipeg. Cheveldayoff is just so patient and risk adverse that you can't help but wonder if he will sit on his hands too long and sink the Jets season. It's time for a couple bold moves in Winnipeg, not sure Kevin has it in him.

Jets still have a murder's row of talent up front. But man are they on a shaky foundation with that back end and goaltending.

Connor is better than Laine

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
I feel sorry for Kevin Cheveldayoff...Has been patient with his draft picks and building a contender (some would consider he built the right way.. some Jets fans feel that he sat back, and rarely took the initiative)...It must come as an absolute shock that he's inherited a bunch of headcases as his star players..First Kane,then Trouba,..and now Laine.

If you're a Jets fan..I don't see how any of this can end well.

Reactions: CanuckCity

Jyrki21

2021-12-05
Sponsor
I feel sorry for Kevin Cheveldayoff...Has been patient with his draft picks and building a contender (some would consider he built the right way.. some Jets fans feel that he sat back, and rarely took the initiative)...It must come as an absolute shock that he's inherited a bunch of headcases as his star players..First Kane,then Trouba,..and now Laine.
Kane carries baggage, I don't know enough about the other two. But I suspect there is an element here of Winnipeg just paying a "Winnipeg tax" for being Winnipeg. The tolerance by rich, young athletes for any imperfection in their situation is going to be a lot lower than it would in some glitzy market where they feel like they're living the good life. Like, it's amazing how rarely some malcontent player demands to be traded out of New York or Los Angeles or whatever. Or how athletes never seem to be bothered by urban blight or crime or cold winters or what have you in Philadelphia, Boston or Detroit, but are very quick to criticize lower-profile markets. We saw this all the time with the Grizzlies.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
i agree to a point, but laine is from a subarctic landlocked city in finland north of 60 where it rains all summer and they have a special local word for blackfly swarms. you'd think he could handle winnipeg although i suppose it might be a huge letdown to find himself in such a place.

with the jets i wonder about the dressing room culture being too hardass. they never look like they are having fun.

Reactions: CanuckCity

LordBacon

CEO of sh*tposting
Oct 31, 2017
Hong Kong
Jesus that contract is disgustingly good for tampa.
Their entire core is signed for the next 3 years, I’m so envious right now

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
They have buy in not unlike the Canucks from the 2011 era.

Montreal could have OS Point the same as Aho but word is that MB didn’t believe he would sign it. Point wanted to stay in TB.

Players want to play for high calibre organizations that invest in their players, provide high quality coaching, highly competent management, and that consistently put forth teams that can contend not only for the playoffs, but the cup. Very similar to the 2011 team that we are unfortunately so far away from.

Reactions: DarrenX and vanuck

Jyrki21

2021-12-05
Sponsor
i agree to a point, but laine is from a subarctic landlocked city in finland north of 60 where it rains all summer and they have a special local word for blackfly swarms. you'd think he could handle winnipeg although i suppose it might be a huge letdown to find himself in such a place.
Yeah, I don't mean their beef is necessarily with the city itself (plenty of the guys who spurned the Grizzlies grew up in poverty – it's more about opportunity cost than anything), it's just that their tolerance for whatever inconvenience there is – coach, teammates, fans, media, TV channels, whatever – always seems to be so much lower when it's not a "cool" place to be.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
Yeah, I don't mean their beef is necessarily with the city itself (plenty of the guys who spurned the Grizzlies grew up in poverty – it's more about opportunity cost than anything), it's just that their tolerance for whatever inconvenience there is – coach, teammates, fans, media, TV channels, whatever – always seems to be so much lower when it's not a "cool" place to be.

there's truth in that but the grizzlies are a bad example. the grizzlies were a debacle as an organization as much as anything wrong with the city. that team would have been a disaster unable to sign anyone wherever it was located.

Hoghandler

Jul 9, 2019
Dubas totally ****ed the Leafs rebuild but overpaying star players is ok I'm told...

As crazy as it sounds, since Kyle Dubas has been hired, I can't say he's done a better job with his contract work than Jim Benning. And I thought Jim Benning was the worst contract negotiating GM I've ever seen...

The Leafs didn't win a single playoff round while their stars were on their ELC's. Interesting to see how their depth holds up going forward while carrying 3 of the top 7 highest paid players in the NHL.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Never know if Mathews and Marner ask for less if the Leafs don’t hand out $11 mill for an outsider like Tavares. JT is worth his contract but his signing might have impacted them in negotiations with their own guys. Harder to ask them to take less when you’re spending on outside guys.

TB has home grown guys eating up their cap space in Kucherov, Stamkos, Hedman, etc.

Reactions: racerjoe

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
As crazy as it sounds, since Kyle Dubas has been hired, I can't say he's done a better job with his contract work than Jim Benning. And I thought Jim Benning was the worst contract negotiating GM I've ever seen...

The Leafs didn't win a single playoff round while their stars were on their ELC's. Interesting to see how their depth holds up going forward while carrying 3 of the top 7 highest paid players in the NHL.

It will be interesting to watch to be sure but it's not like the Leafs weren't in those frst rounds either.

Washington in 17 (the year before their SC run), then Boston 2 years in a row isn't like losing to the NYI, Montral and Carolina just some bad luck with match ups.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
It will be interesting to watch to be sure but it's not like the Leafs weren't in those frst rounds either.

Washington in 17 (the year before their SC run), then Boston 2 years in a row isn't like losing to the NYI, Montral and Carolina just some bad luck with match ups.
Won’t get any easier. Can they win their division to avoid TB or Boston in round 1?

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
So the Leafs pay Marner 4 million more than Point to get 3yrs extra which end with him as a UFA. Just Wow

Kadri Gardiner 1st round pick and Connor Brown all gone due to Matthews and Marner looking to get paid as kids that have done f*** all.

HOFamer Patrick Marleau also gets the boot. That is some terrible management

If you want some entertainment the Leafs Dubas hot seat thread has gone OFF......comical

Reactions: Nomobo
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->