The 2019-20 Around the League Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
Anyone think Benning should've been in on Namestnikov? price seems low. I'd rather a fourth and ebert type prospect for Namestnikov than what we paid for JT. Like, they're going all in, so go all in.

Absolutely not. Namesnikov was pumped and dumped by Tampa and is now another $4MM middle six tweener (i.e something we already have too many of).

If we want to talk about Miller alternatives we should have been signing Nyqvist or acquiring Haula for peanuts.

Dr Good Vibes

Jan 18, 2010
Absolutely not. Namesnikov was pumped and dumped by Tampa and is now another $4MM middle six tweener (i.e something we already have too many of).

If we want to talk about Miller alternatives we should have been signing Nyqvist or acquiring Haula for peanuts.
I mean Namestnikov can't be worse than what we have right? I agree Nyquist would've been a great signing and very preferable to the Miller trade.

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
I mean Namestnikov can't be worse than what we have right? I agree Nyquist would've been a great signing and very preferable to the Miller trade.

Namesnikov, while riding shotgun with Stamkos and Kucherov, only put up 20 goals and 44 points. He'd be similar to a Pearson/Ferland/Baertschi/Roussel in that regard, but we shouldn't be paying $3-4MM for so many of these players.

Reactions: mathonwy

calnuck

Nov 26, 2010
CA
Ho-Sang requesting a trade. I wonder what the price for him would be. Would Goldobin straight up get it done? Would it be worth it to try?

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
nyquist turned 30 just as his contract starts and is under contract until he is 34. he's paid only $500,000 less than eriksson's aav.

miller is 26 and turns 30 just as his contract ends. in addition to being younger, he's got one more deal to play for.

i'd pay a fair bit for that differential. not our first, but a fair bit.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
you look at benn's contract and cap hit and 6 more years of term and you have to think the owners are going to be begging the players to renegotiate the cba to fix these deals soon enough. you just cannot run a hockey team properly and give out long term contracts to guys well into their 30s like the nhl does, and every team that touches success seems to get burned by them. fans just will not put up with vastly overpaid boat anchors patrolling the bottom six for half a decade, and the ability of teams to unload these guys on failing franchises is diminishing and also a recipe for finishing off those failing franchises.

All a dumb Benn contract does is forces some other player to not get paid elsewhere. In the big picture, that stupid contract didn't cost the NHL owners a dime relative to having safeguards in place to prevent it.

You don't want to get screwed? Don't give dumb contracts to old players.

Reactions: Caspian and timw33

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
Ho-Sang requesting a trade. I wonder what the price for him would be. Would Goldobin straight up get it done? Would it be worth it to try?

Question 1: Likely as Goldobin is the better player
Question 2: absolutely not...Ho-Sang is a circus unto himself.

Reactions: Red and calnuck

calnuck

Nov 26, 2010
CA
Question 1: Likely as Goldobin is the better player
Question 2: absolutely not...Ho-Sang is a circus unto himself.
Is he though? I'm not sure. Even though he is/ has been a circus, maybe a change of scenery helps. Wouldn't hurt to have a guy who's capable of being a decent playmaker in the system. Being on Pettersson's wing might work. Give both of them one last chance on a new team and different system.

Reactions: mossey3535

tantalum

Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
Is he though? I'm not sure. Even though he is/ has been a circus, maybe a change of scenery helps. Wouldn't hurt to have a guy who's capable of being a decent playmaker in the system. Being on Pettersson's wing might work. Give both of them one last chance on a new team and different system.

He's been a circus since he was a young teenager.

And yes goldobin is the better player right now...and he's nothing to write home about.

Billy Kvcmu

Dec 5, 2014
West Vancouver
The six Jets defenceman tonight has a combined of 361 games played....
The next lowest one is Colorado who has over 1600 combined...

Oh look, Crosby scores on the Jets 30 secs in

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
Haula Dzingel Gardiner looking like fantastic fits with Carolina early on. First two guys are on revamped PP unit that has 6 goals in 4 games (after finishing bottom 10 last year)

For references sake:

Haula cost a 5th + Nicolas Roy (former 4th round pick)
Dzingel $3.375MM for only 2 years
Gardiner $4MM x 4 years.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
With an owner that will let you spend to the cap limit (and then some), you can to a degree.

Course, one Loui Eriksson contracts means that 'margin of error' is gone.
Also be smart on the structure. Front loading along with signing bonuses means only way out is via trade. So you’re depending on him being worth his cash payments or you owe a sweetener in a trade.

If he was straight salary for the remaining 3 years team would have bought him out and moved on. Beagle and Myers deals are front loaded with some SB though not to the same extent.

Reactions: Hit the post

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
Holy crap 5-0 Canes 1 minute into the second. Dzingle again, and Haden Fluery 2 points (taken right after Virtanen)

Also, James Neal already has 5 goals LOL.

tantalum

Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
green needs to pay attention to the neal thing when handling ferlund. bury the guy on the third line and i think you'll get a third liner.

Two completely different players and talent levels. Neal has scored 20 or more goals every single year of career except last season. He is a top 6 talent albeit one with questionable effort and defensive play. Ferland is not.

Also, Kass with his third of the year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad