Friedman: Teams interested in Trocheck

Beezeral

Mar 1, 2010
Would the panthers rather have Savard or Nutivaara from the CBJ? Both play RD Nuti plays both sides though. Savard is a D work horse who woll block everything in 5ft of him Nuti is currently playing top pair with Werenski while Jones is injured.
Neither is enough to get Trocheck

Stickpucker

Playmaka
Jan 18, 2014
Lots of teams should be interested in Trocheck.

Would love him in Carolina but no way Fla does that with us fighting each other for a wild card spot. Also Carolina would have to move Staal to make that happen and I doubt Fla wants him at that contract. Plus Car needs D w/o Hamilton too so doubt there is anything that can be done.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
So in a recent podcast (around 14:30) Russo tripled down on Minnesota's interest in Trocheck, again figuring that Brodin's probably what would have to go the other way.

The question on Minnesota's end (according to Russo, anyway) is whether or not Trocheck is really a center, or whether part of the reason for his drop in production is that he's really a winger that's been shoehorned into that position. There have been similar comments from Panthers fans in here and from what I've gathered from highlights (which, admittedly, ain't much) it does kind of ring true.

This is just me, but I think if they come to the conclusion internally that he's a center they're going to offer Brodin. It'd be an ugly price to pay because Brodin's a beaut, but getting a mid-20's right-shot center on a sweet contract to put between Fiala and Kaprizov isn't an opportunity that Minnesota can take lightly.

I also think if Florida needs a center back and they're not on his no-trade list, Staal could be included. It might require a high pick or a good prospect, but between Trocheck, Eriksson-Ek and (hopefully) Khovanov I think the Wild would be able to move on from Staal. And I think he and Brodin would absolutely push the Panthers into the playoffs and help do some damage.

Last edited:
Reactions: CanuckCity and AKL

inthe6ix

Oct 3, 2008
Toronto, Canada
So in a recent podcast (around 14:30) Russo tripled down on Minnesota's interest in Trocheck, again figuring that Brodin's probably what would have to go the other way.

The question on Minnesota's end (according to Russo, anyway) is whether or not Trocheck is really a center, or whether part of the reason for his drop in production is that he's really a winger that's been shoehorned into that position. There have been similar comments from Panthers fans in here and from what I've gathered from highlights (which, admittedly, ain't much) it does kind of ring true.

This is just me, but I think if they come to the conclusion internally that he's a center they're going to offer Brodin. It'd be an ugly price to pay because Brodin's a beaut, but getting a mid-20's right-shot center on a sweet contract to put between Fiala and Kaprizov isn't an opportunity that Minnesota can take lightly.

Tro is a C, but I'd still rather have Brodin; you're right, he's a beaut whose play is under the radar every year

GrumpyKelly

May 15, 2011
Bottom of a bottle

Trocheck has always been better at center. The few times he's been tried as a winger it hasn't worked out, he thrives on open ice. Or at least did before his injury.

Feels like Russo is talking out of his ass, anyone who's actually watched him knows he's much better suited playing C. The concern with him is if he can re-gain his previous skating ability.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta

My worry about trading Brodin (one of them anyway) is going 7-3-1 in the ED and Seattle nabbing Soucy (they'd likely have the choice between him vs. Greenway/Donato if they aren't traded). With our best 2 defensive prospects being RD's, our LD depth basically dies, and Suter is about to turn 36.

Maybe we hold onto Greenway for strictly that purpose and just bite the bullet of lost value there though.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
Trocheck has always been better at center. The few times he's been tried as a winger it hasn't worked out, he thrives on open ice. Or at least did before his injury.

Feels like Russo is talking out of his ass, anyone who's actually watched him knows he's much better suited at center. The concern with him is if he can re-gain his previous skating ability.
Russo's close enough to the Wild that it's worth paying attention when he says this stuff. It might not be a major concern and they may come to the same conclusion, but it's absolutely a question that they need to do due diligence on. They only get one shot at this.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
My worry about trading Brodin (one of them anyway) is going 7-3-1 in the ED and Seattle nabbing Soucy (they'd likely have the choice between him vs. Greenway/Donato if they aren't traded). With our best 2 defensive prospects being RD's, our LD depth basically dies, and Suter is about to turn 36.

Maybe we hold onto Greenway for strictly that purpose and just bite the bullet of lost value there though.
I hate to say it because there's no one on the team that I'd like to trade less, but Dumba does stick out as the most likely to go. At least in terms of positional depth: Spurgeon just got welded onto the roster, we have Menell in Iowa and just added Addison. There's a lot of depth there.

But I think this is dictated more by opportunity and Brodin is clearly the guy that Florida needs.

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada

I also think if Florida needs a center back and they're not on his no-trade list, Staal could be included. It might require a high pick or a good prospect, but between Trocheck, Eriksson-Ek and (hopefully) Khovanov I think the Wild would be able to move on from Staal. And I think he and Brodin would absolutely push the Panthers into the playoffs and help do some damage.

You've been a closet FLA fan for a while now, lurking away. :laugh:
If the trade is Trocheck for Brodin as a base then we broke it a month ago with our chat.

Reactions: Bazeek

GrumpyKelly

May 15, 2011
Bottom of a bottle
Russo's close enough to the Wild that it's worth paying attention when he says this stuff. It might not be a major concern and they may come to the same conclusion, but it's absolutely a question that they need to do due diligence on. They only get one shot at this.

That's fair but he's been a center his whole career besides a handful of games. It seems like a strange question to ask. The real concern should be (and is) if he can gain the powerful skating ability he had before the brutal injury last year.

RogerRoger

Jul 23, 2013
I'm sure they can go back and watch how pathtic he was on the wing when the Panthers have tried him there.
Tallon wanted big centermen to build the team around and Trocheck was too small, so whenever they called him up, he'd play on the wing and it wouldn't work. Then we had a few injuries at center and he was played there and produced. They repeated that cycle a few times and at that point it seemed like Tro's abilities surpassed the need for +6'3 centermen.
Now, I'll give you that, he generally doesn't use his winger well unless they are Jussi Jokinen.

Reactions: CanuckCity

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
That's fair but he's been a center his whole career besides a handful of games. It seems like a strange question to ask. The real concern should be (and is) if he can gain the powerful skating ability he had before the brutal injury last year.
It was a high ankle sprain, right? I'm not a doctor, but don't those usually just take time to recover from?

StateofCelly

Jan 5, 2017
It was a high ankle sprain, right? I'm not a doctor, but don't those usually just take time to recover from?

Sprains like that can be worse than breaks. The hard part with a sprain is they might not ever fully heal, and especially in a sport like hockey where pushing off, stopping, turning all involves kind of awkward strength for an ankle, the re-injury risk can be a concern. Ultimately I don't think of it as a major deal breaker and am sure he could recover just fine from it. Fiala coming back from a blown up hip is reason to believe a guy like Tro can get his skating back to where it was after an ankle injury.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
Sprains like that can be worse than breaks. The hard part with a sprain is they might not ever fully heal, and especially in a sport like hockey where pushing off, stopping, turning all involves kind of awkward strength for an ankle, the re-injury risk can be a concern. Ultimately I don't think of it as a major deal breaker and am sure he could recover just fine from it. Fiala coming back from a blown up hip is reason to believe a guy like Tro can get his skating back to where it was after an ankle injury.
Yeah, injuries are mostly a black box to me. My worry is that they seem to mostly be a black box to team doctors, too :laugh:

TheWayToRefJose

Oct 30, 2017
Vlasic has one of the worst contracts in the league.
He’s actually been pretty good this year and was great last year in the playoffs.

PDB also said last year he was going through personal problems almost all year and his struggles looked like a lack of concentration/effort rather than him losing a step.

It was also said that teams were interested in him at the beginning of the year, which his value has to have gone up since then.

Reactions: CanuckCity

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad