Friedman: Teams interested in Trocheck

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
Trochek has been struggling since last season and will be used as a 3rd line player. Doubtful you can get a better return elsewhere.

"Shes the best car on the lot"
*kicks tire*
*slowly starts on fire*

Best return we can get?
It's not our fault you want to use him as a 3C/3RW, his price/value is of a 2C.

I take it you're using the Kadri value but Trocheck wasn't running around with 2 strikes on his suspension list as well.
We're not trading from the same viewpoint or near the Center depth that TOR had.

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
How about (since Panthers are looking for more size/grit/puck possession)

To Panthers: Heinen, Wagner, Zboril
To Bruins: Trocheck

Panthers seem to like picking up former Bruins anyways (Vatrano, Acciari)

Lemieuxs

Nov 23, 2013
Trocheck

for

2021 1st round pick (turns to 2nd round pick if you re-sign Schultz)
Bjugstad
Schultz

You get the defensemen you are looking for and if you lock him up the 2021 1st round pick becomes a 2nd round pick. Otherwise, you get a 1st round pick and Bjugstad back to do whatever you want with.
Bjugstad is included to make the money work.

pb1300

#CatsAreComing
Mar 6, 2002
Αιγιο-ΕΛΛΑΔΑ
Trocheck

for

Bjugstad
Schultz

You get the defensemen you are looking for and if you lock him up the 2021 1st round pick becomes a 2nd round pick. Otherwise, you get a 1st round pick and Bjugstad back to do whatever you want with.

C’mon...really?

Reactions: PA Cats Fan

Jean Luc Discard

Jul 11, 2014
Trocheck

for

Bjugstad
Schultz

Is there actual, equivalent value coming our way too...?

Beezeral

Mar 1, 2010
How about (since Panthers are looking for more size/grit/puck possession)

To Panthers: Heinen, Wagner, Zboril
To Bruins: Trocheck

Panthers seem to like picking up former Bruins anyways (Vatrano, Acciari)
Trocheck

for

Bjugstad
Schultz

b2b absolutely brutal offers

Reactions: PA Cats Fan

Lemieuxs

Nov 23, 2013
Is there actual, equivalent value coming our way too...?

Oh! When I proposed it I honestly felt like the Penguins were giving up too much and I was going to get flamed from Pens fans. If Florida is looking for more than a 1st, a top 4 defensemen, and a #2-#3 Center then I think the Penguins and a lot of other teams are out.

Beezeral

Mar 1, 2010
Oh! When I proposed it I honestly felt like the Penguins were giving up too much and I was going to get flamed from Pens fans. If Florida is looking for more than a 1st, a top 4 defensemen, and a #2-#3 Center then I think the Penguins and a lot of other teams are out.
Schultz is a borderline top 4 d-man who has been injured a ton and is a UFA at the end of the season. Bjugstad is a cap dump and a late first in 2021 doesn't have much value. If you thought that was an overpay... woof

who do you want from the Bruins then?
there isn't a good fit. The Panthers need a similar aged top 4 defensive d-man with term. The Bruins don't have that available. Prospects, (average ones at that) aren't coming close to getting a deal done.

kdog82

Oct 6, 2002
Toronto
Visit site
who do you want from the Bruins then?

The Bruins who are 1st in the NHL have no players of interest to any teams. This seems to be the consensus on the boards.

Let me try:

Grezlcyk for Trocheck.

Here come the people that don't watch the Bruins or know who Matt Grezlcyk is. Let me introduce you to him. He's a top 4 dman on a lot of teams. Tremendous puck mover and great skater. Undersized but more than adequate in today's NHL and he won't cost a lot against the cap going forward.

This is a good deal for both sides. But Grzelcyk isn't a sexy name.

Beezeral

Mar 1, 2010
The Bruins who are 1st in the NHL have no players of interest to any teams. This seems to be the consensus on the boards.

Let me try:

Grezlcyk for Trocheck.

Here come the people that don't watch the Bruins or know who Matt Grezlcyk is. Let me introduce you to him. He's a top 4 dman on a lot of teams. Tremendous puck mover and great skater. Undersized but more than adequate in today's NHL and he won't cost a lot against the cap going forward.

This is a good deal for both sides. But Grzelcyk isn't a sexy name.
I like his game a lot, but the Panthers aren't looking for an undersized puck moving defenseman. They are looking for a defenseman who excels in the defensive zone. Grzelcyk doesn't do that so it's not the right fit for the Panthers, so no, it's not a good deal for both sides as it doesn't fill a need for the Panthers.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
True Yandle has three years left while Hammer has only one. We would have to sweeten the deal. But you're also missing a PP qb of his quality why I think he could be interesting for you guys.

Stepan heading for a second straight 35 point season while making 6.5 million... that's a huge cap dump for any team even if they would want him, which they don't.
Stepan's no masterpiece, but he's still a decent center. Everyone's numbers tank in AZ, but he's defensively reliable and shows spurts of offense He's definitely a bad contract because the cap hit. No argument there. Not sure he's a dump. Look at the UFA signings for centers. But doesn't hold much value, agreed.
Same way I view Yandle. Decent player, bad contract. Even if he falls off a cliff at age thirty next year, he's an expiring contract at that point. Yandle is already 33, and his contract runs another four years. He carries a $6M+ hit until he's 36.
It's just bad contract for bad contract. Whatever shortfall in the Hammer-Trocheck is made up for in getting out of the bad contract early, imo.
Decent center on short (bad) deal fills in for Trocheck short term. Dumps Yandle's long (bad) contract for a good short-term contract on a rock of a dman (who Q loves).
Such was my reasoning, anyway. :cheers:

kdog82

Oct 6, 2002
Toronto
Visit site
I like his game a lot, but the Panthers aren't looking for an undersized puck moving defenseman. They are looking for a defenseman who excels in the defensive zone. Grzelcyk doesn't do that so it's not the right fit for the Panthers, so no, it's not a good deal for both sides as it doesn't fill a need for the Panthers.

Grzelcyk's ability to move the puck out of the d zone is his best asset.

GrumpyKelly

May 15, 2011
Bottom of a bottle
Stepan's no masterpiece, but he's still a decent center. Everyone's numbers tank in AZ, but he's defensively reliable and shows spurts of offense He's definitely a bad contract because the cap hit. No argument there. Not sure he's a dump. Look at the UFA signings for centers. But doesn't hold much value, agreed.
Same way I view Yandle. Decent player, bad contract. Even if he falls off a cliff at age thirty next year, he's an expiring contract at that point. Yandle is already 33, and his contract runs another four years. He carries a $6M+ hit until he's 36.
It's just bad contract for bad contract. Whatever shortfall in the Hammer-Trocheck is made up for in getting out of the bad contract early, imo.
Decent center on short (bad) deal fills in for Trocheck short term. Dumps Yandle's long (bad) contract for a good short-term contract on a rock of a dman (who Q loves).
Such was my reasoning, anyway. :cheers:

:cheers:

Reasonable but I'll push back on the bad contract vs. bad contract. Yandle still is a 50-60 point defenseman in this league and an elite pp QB. He would be leading your team in points right now. He also has the longest ironman streak going so it's not like he misses games. I don't think Stepan brings any quality like that to the table and he's paid the same as Yandle. So I don't agree on him being a cap dump.

The reason we can't handle the Yandle is because our defense is falling apart left and right. Only reliable parts are Ekblad and Stralman. Weegar is playing in the top four for the first time and recently had concussions, he needs to be sheltered. Stillman is a rookie and has like 20 games under his belt, he needs sheltering. Matheson is unreliable, needs sheltering. And Brown is a #7. So essentially we can't shelter Yandle and that's why we need to move him. You guys could and probably would welcome the offense he brings. He's just not a fit for us with all the problems we have on defense already.

Beezeral

Mar 1, 2010
What in your mind would be "something similar" to the Coleman trade return?
coleman and Trocheck aren't comparable. One is a 50ish point center on a very team friendly contract and the other is a 30ish point center having a career year who is still on pace to put up less points that trocheck. The returns for each player aren't similar. Trocheck should get much more than Coleman. Nevermind that Coleman came from a team that wants to rebuild so picks and prospects worked while the Panthers need a hockey trade for a current top 4 D-man in the NHL.

Reactions: klabob

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
He's just not a fit for us with all the problems we have on defense already.
That's why you're replacing his four year, $6.3M contract with rock -solid Hammer's short deal! Costs you Trocheck, who sounds like he's turning a bit suspect being replaced by defensively responsible Stepan (on a bad deal).
I know the book on Yandle, but that contract isn't pretty.

I'd do Hammer and maybe even something small for Trocheck. I just added Yandle-Stepan to fill like-for-like position-wise, assuming Q wants a vet C replacement and you'd like to get out from under Yandle 's deal. One-stop shopping. *shrug*

I'd probably deal Soderberg (expiring) in the same sort of deal.

Hammer's been our MVP when healthy (nod to stelllar goaltending when we've gotten it as a close runner up). I don't think they want to move him. But adding a youngish C is tempting.
I think they want to be buyers and not sellers, so I'm not sure the front office would be interested at all, to be honest. But as a fan, I want to shake up the roster.

GrumpyKelly

May 15, 2011
Bottom of a bottle
That's why you're replacing his four year, $6.3M contract with rock -solid Hammer's short deal! Costs you Trocheck, who sounds like he's turning a bit suspect being replaced by defensively responsible Stepan (on a bad deal).
I know the book on Yandle, but that contract isn't pretty.

I'd do Hammer and maybe even something small for Trocheck. I just added Yandle-Stepan to fill like-for-like position-wise, assuming Q wants a vet C replacement and you'd like to get out from under Yandle 's deal. One-stop shopping. *shrug*

I'd probably deal Soderberg (expiring) in the same sort of deal.

Hammer's been our MVP when healthy (nod to stelllar goaltending when we've gotten it as a close runner up). I don't think they want to move him. But adding a youngish C is tempting.
I think they want to be buyers and not sellers, so I'm not sure the front office would be interested at all, to be honest. But as a fan, I want to shake up the roster.

Hammer is turning 33 in a couple months and has a year left on his deal. Also coming off an injury. I don't think he's even close to the value of a prime aged C like Trocheck, even when he's having a down year.

Maybe a straight up swap fo Stepan and Yandle?

Reactions: klabob

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad