Friedman: Teams interested in Trocheck

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
This sounds more like off-season thing. As underwhelming as Trocheck's been in the last couple years, who exactly do they plan to play as their 2C down the stretch ? Borgstrom is struggling in the minors and they're already rolling out Dominic Toninato (AHL/NHL tweener so far) as their 3C.

So yeah.. maybe there's discussions now but as we all now those can take a long time to materialize. He also has 2 more years left.

mikeyp24

Jun 28, 2014
brodijo93
savarda90
im not a chart guy and wont pretend to be care to explain? I can tell you ask anyone who watches Savaed will tell you he is a defensive monster that throws his body in front of any puck it can reach. I dont know if the chart says that or no but i.can tell you what anyones eyes that watches Savard play consistently sees and that is one of the top shot blocking defensive defenders in the league that happens to be a.RHD that seems to hild more value.

Does that mean you personally want him no but i have had.experience with you in the past about certain issues that you were wrong about then and we dont particularly get along so you agreeing with me isnt going to happen even if im right. I should have known going into this thread to just ignore your posts and listen to the more rational fans.

Beezeral

Mar 1, 2010
im not a chart guy and wont pretend to be care to explain? I can tell you ask anyone who watches Savaed will tell you he is a defensive monster that throws his body in front of any puck it can reach. I dont know if the chart says that or no but i.can tell you what anyones eyes that watches Savard play consistently sees and that is one of the top shot blocking defensive defenders in the league that happens to be a.RHD that seems to hild more value.

Does that mean you personally want him no but i have had.experience with you in the past about certain issues that you were wrong about then and we dont particularly get along so you agreeing with me isnt going to happen even if im right. I should have known going into this thread to just ignore your posts and listen to the more rational fans.
The chart shows that while Savard is a good defensive defenseman, Brodin is much better at suppressing shots in the defensive zone. It is not a knock on Savard, Brodin is just better and more in line with what the Panthers are looking for when it comes to trading a player like Trocheck. Brodin is also younger so his contract extension will likely cover his age 28-33 years instead of 30-35 like with Savard. Sometimes teams just aren't good trading partners and this is one of those times. The Panthers have a very specific request when it comes to making the decision to move Trocheck and Savard doesn't quite get there.

mikeyp24

Jun 28, 2014
The chart shows that while Savard is a good defensive defenseman, Brodin is much better at suppressing shots in the defensive zone. It is not a knock on Savard, Brodin is just better and more in line with what the Panthers are looking for when it comes to trading a player like Trocheck. Brodin is also younger so his contract extension will likely cover his age 28-33 years instead of 30-35 like with Savard. Sometimes teams just aren't good trading partners and this is one of those times. The Panthers have a very specific request when it comes to making the decision to move Trocheck and Savard doesn't quite get there.
Good take thanks for explaining ive never been one to get into charts and advanced stats so I really had no idea.

PA Cats Fan

Jun 22, 2018
I would honestly be fine with any of the following : (depending on the deals)
Zadorov +
Savard +
Skjei
Brodin/Dumba

Our Lady Peace

Aug 12, 2014
BC
A top 4 defensive D for Trocheck is what the Panthers need. Nothing else. Brodin fits that bill extremely well ability-wise and contract-wise and Q would love him like he loved Hjalmarsson in CHI.

However, losing Trocheck leaves a gaping hole at 2C that the Panthers would definitely be hurting from.

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011

That's not what the chart shows. You can not look at a chart and make such a definitive statement like that.

Reactions: _Del_

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
That's not what the chart shows. You can not look at a chart and make such a definitive statement like that.

It quite literally shows that the shots that hit the net when Brodin is on the ice are lower danger shots (further away, more outside) than the shots that hit the net when Savard is on the ice. And it’s actually quite a significant difference when you consider where the red is (above average shots allowed on net).

Reactions: Beezeral

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
It quite literally shows that the shots that hit the net when Brodin is on the ice are lower danger shots (further away, more outside) than the shots that hit the net when Savard is on the ice. And it’s actually quite a significant difference when you consider where the red is (above average shots allowed on net).

All fine and dandy. Context is everything. Analytics will never give you enough to provide such definitive statements just based off heat charts (Especially between players on different teams). I'm not arguing one way or the other in terms of who is better defensively

Reactions: _Del_ and mikeyp24

nickschultzfan

Jan 7, 2009
Is Trocheck a natural center or is he actually better suited for wing? Sounds like he has some serious deficiencies regarding vision and making his linemates better, not to mention losing some of his foot speed at only 26.

GrumpyKelly

May 15, 2011
Bottom of a bottle
Is Trocheck a natural center or is he actually better suited for wing? Sounds like he has some serious deficiencies regarding vision and making his linemates better, not to mention losing some of his foot speed at only 26.

He's a natural center and worse on the wing.

I don't know about his lack of vision, he's constantly a 30-40 assist guy. But he does like to take the puck up the ice and plays more of a north-south kind of hockey. I guess you can call that lack of creativity.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012

A broken ankle will do that. Most said Fiala could never recover either until he did.

Sabrehack

Aug 30, 2018
I think Trocheck would be a good addition in Buffalo. As much as I like Ristolainen, I would make the trade, but not straight up. Two years ago absolutely, and maybe even added, but not since Trocheck's injury. Maybe

Risto
Larsson

Trocheck
Serron
Col 3rd

Beezeral

Mar 1, 2010
Also, only doing this deal because I want Florida to finish ahead of the Leafs!!!!
Thank you for sending such a wonderful proposal that has the panthers giving up Trocheck and a good prospect for something they don’t need.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad