Rumor: Teams connected to Faulk: CHI, DET, EDM, and TOR

ConnorMcNugesaitl

Sep 23, 2012
Operative word being "prospects". Hopefully they work out for you guys....but to assume that they are NHLers is a pretty big leap.

Kyle Dubas, is that you?

What???!!! He's playing wing because he's not good enough at center. Let's be fair here. He scored 48 points last year which puts him at 2nd/3rd line tweener territory (using your own misguided stats watching logic)....and this from a guy who likes him. Let's just wait and see what this season brings.

We actually just need a guy who can score 20 goals or so....doesn't matter whether he plays center or LW. Him being a center is a bonus, but he'd likely slot in at wing for us as well (depending on what Aho does).

Carolina has a cap hit of a bit below $61 million and an actual payroll (including Faulk's salary) of about $61.5 million. We have a new billionaire owner who has stated that paying Faulk's salary to play wherever he slots in the lineup is a non-issue. There's almost no team in the league that could possess as much patience with a player as Carolina can with Faulk.

48 points in 62 games...

I would personally love Faulk on the Oilers and I'd like to have an actual discussion about it but there are too many people trying to derail the conversation with complete nonsense.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Operative word being "prospects". Hopefully they work out for you guys....but to assume that they are NHLers is a pretty big leap.

Kyle Dubas, is that you?

What???!!! He's playing wing because he's not good enough at center. Let's be fair here. He scored 48 points last year which puts him at 2nd/3rd line tweener territory (using your own misguided stats watching logic)....and this from a guy who likes him. Let's just wait and see what this season brings.

We actually just need a guy who can score 20 goals or so....doesn't matter whether he plays center or LW. Him being a center is a bonus, but he'd likely slot in at wing for us as well (depending on what Aho does).

Carolina has a cap hit of a bit below $61 million and an actual payroll (including Faulk's salary) of about $61.5 million. We have a new billionaire owner who has stated that paying Faulk's salary to play wherever he slots in the lineup is a non-issue. There's almost no team in the league that could possess as much patience with a player as Carolina can with Faulk.

1) By that logic you should sell the farm for a centre, since Necas is just a prospect.

2) We’re all assuming that the fan bases are speaking in the GM’s shoes, unless you want to do shots and drink paint until we’re in Waddell/Chiarelli’s headspace.

3) He’s playing wing because we have two centres better than he is and he had 48 points in 62 games. He’s primed to hit career highs in points this year. Don’t play dumb.

4) That’s swell, but we don’t need to move forwards for defence. All we can move are futures or dumps. Don’t like it, shop Faulk somewhere else.

5) you have a new billionaire owner that gave your play by play guy walking papers for refusing to take a pay cut from what I understand. Confidence level still high?

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
What’s your offer for Faulk?

I am the wrong guy to ask. I do not like Faulk. I think he’s a bad hockey player living on his results from two years ago, that your fan base is trying to pump and dump before it’s too late and you get Paciorettied.

You might be able to talk certain Oiler fans into a top ten protected first and a decent prospect but the problem there is we’d need to clear cap space too, preferably in the same deal.

ConnorMcNugesaitl

Sep 23, 2012
What’s your offer for Faulk?

I forgot they signed CDH or Russell plus would've made sense for both teams.

As it is it would require Lucic going the other way or for the Oilers to move salary in another deal.

I know the Hurricanes would like to get tougher so Lucic would make sense but this place is fixated on the idea that it would cost a 1st round pick and Puljujarvi and more just to get rid of Lucic so that discussion probably won't go far here.

Then the Oilers could trade Benning for a forward but I don't think that type of deal is going to happen. Edmonton seems pretty content to bring Milan back for another year.

yababy

Jun 26, 2015
Imo, odds are that Aho makes a permanent move to center this season. And is quite successful there.

He might make a move to center, but I doubt it will be successful. 45% in the faceoff circle...sheesh!

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina
1) By that logic you should sell the farm for a centre, since Necas is just a prospect.

2) We’re all assuming that the fan bases are speaking in the GM’s shoes, unless you want to do shots and drink paint until we’re in Waddell/Chiarelli’s headspace.

3) He’s playing wing because we have two centres better than he is and he had 48 points in 62 games. He’s primed to hit career highs in points this year. Don’t play dumb.

4) That’s swell, but we don’t need to move forwards for defence. All we can move are futures or dumps. Don’t like it, shop Faulk somewhere else.

5) you have a new billionaire owner that gave your play by play guy walking papers for refusing to take a pay cut from what I understand. Confidence level still high?

1. Nope, as I've said we're in the same boat about hoping that prospects produce. I'm just cynical enough to understand that they are just as likely not to.

2. The shots part is fine. I'll leave the paint drinking to you. :sarcasm:

Just to be clear, because fans of a team make shitty proposals doesn't mean they have the inside track on how the front office is thinking, but I think we agree on that.

3. The germane point is/was that you accused fanbases of pumping up their players. My response merely pointed out that you were just as guilty when projecting what can only be characterized as something that "might" happen.

4. To repeat myself, I'd love to have RNH on the Hurricanes; I think he'd be a good fit. I have also said I don't think a deal gets done between the Oil and the Canes for a variety of reasons. All the rest is just a disagreement on value.

5. Let's stick to the facts, shall we. Chuck Kaiton, the radio play by play guy, didn't accept a contract that significantly reduced his salary for the option of actually taking the radio broadcast and making it his own. At 66, he didn't want to have to go out and sell advertising, book his own appearances, etc. Not that I blame him. But the radio broadcast has a small reach and was losing 6 figures a year. It's not going away, merely being replaced by a simulcast of the TV PBP. That guy, John Forslund, one of the best in the business, cut his teeth on radio. Many in the Triangle feel we're not losing much if anything. BTW, Chuck's audience was reportedly around 2,000 listeners.

So yeah, I'll take a guy who is interested in improving the team top to bottom, focusing mostly on the on ice product, but bring the business operation into the 21st century.

In nobody's universe does Kris Russell make sense. For the Carolina Hurricanes, who currently have 7 NHL defensemen and Roland McKeown, Jake Bean, and Trevor Carrick all knocking on the door, he makes even less sense.

emptyNedder

Not seeking rents
Sponsor
Jan 17, 2018
I know the Hurricanes would like to get tougher so Lucic would make sense

It is true the Canes wants to be tougher to play against. But if that is the main criterion for a Faulk trade, Carolina can reach out to NJ who can use an offensively-focused right-side D-man. They could ask for Coleman and a 2nd round pick. Because based on on-ice play and salary, Coleman is a much better option than Lucic. I am not saying Coleman and a 2nd would even be considered by the Canes, just that using the toughness argument for Lucic makes even less sense.

Reactions: DaveG

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
Can we please just institute a rule on HF that Lucic isn't permitted to be brought up in any trade discussion unless its as an obvious cap dump.....good lord I'm so tired of reading suggestions that Lucic has anything but tremendously negative value.

On top of the heinous contract, Lucic’s NMC will guarantee his team loses another good player in the next expansion Draft. Gift that keeps on giving.

ThePhoenixx

Aug 7, 2005
48 points in 62 games...

I would personally love Faulk on the Oilers and I'd like to have an actual discussion about it but there are too many people trying to derail the conversation with complete nonsense.

As it is it would require Lucic going the other way or for the Oilers to move salary in another deal.

I know the Hurricanes would like to get tougher so Lucic would make sense but this place is fixated on the idea that it would cost a 1st round pick and Puljujarvi and more just to get rid of Lucic so that discussion probably won't go far here.

Then the Oilers could trade Benning for a forward but I don't think that type of deal is going to happen. Edmonton seems pretty content to bring Milan back for another year.

After all that and it was really you who had absolutely nothing to add. Didn't even make an offer they might accept. Nice drive by smear though.

ConnorMcNugesaitl

Sep 23, 2012
After all that and it was really you who had absolutely nothing to add. Didn't even make an offer they might accept. Nice drive by smear though.

You can have a discussion without making an offer.

It's hard to make an offer they might accept when there's not a very good fit between the two teams which I explained in depth.

Last edited by a moderator:

golffuul

Oct 24, 2011
You understand that cap wise, Detroit could very easily make this work, right?
I do...but we can get more of what we need, for Howard/Nyquist, at the deadline, then right now. So while a potential cap deal could "work", it doesn't make sense for the Wings to do so. Signing Larkin to the contract that Detroit did, signals that we are in the rebuild for the long term. If it was a bridge deal, then it would (IMO) mean that we want a quicker turnaround on the rebuild and Faulk would facilitate that. But the long-term deal means that we are looking long-term and (IMO) shedding contracts for futures and not roster players.

A1LeafNation

Obsession beats talent everytime!!
Oct 17, 2010
I think all these leafs trading for a dman threads should be combined. It’s all the same things being said:

1. Leafs will develop internally or give up non core players to upgrade.
2. Leafs need to overpay for a dman.
3. No they don’t.
4. Leafs can’t fit everyone under the cap.
5. Yes they can.

Rinse and repeat.

Reactions: DJIncognito

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
On top of the heinous contract, Lucic’s NMC will guarantee his team loses another good player in the next expansion Draft. Gift that keeps on giving.
This is a good point, but "guarantee" is strong. There were plenty of players who waived their NMCs if there was no risk of Vegas taking them, and of course many teams also made side deals defining who Vegas would take.

To me though, it is silly to include Lucic just because he has a NMC and doesn't want to move. Not only that, but we have quotes from Lucic and the Oilers that both sides want to see this play out and see if he can bounce back. Believe it or not he could be worth his salary, just like he was in 2016-17

I'd say next offseason is the real one where the Oilers will potentially unload guys. If Lucic is awful again, not only will the Oilers be more open to trading him, but Lucic will be eager to waive to try somewhere else. Not only that, but Russell and Sekera have their NTCs loosen up. Right now, everything is tougher. If we want to trade for Faulk, we'd have to do it by including other players with sizable cap hits (edit: by that I mean not ones only 1 million) just to make it work, such as Kassian, and/or have Carolina retain on Faulk. Or, … we really do trade RNH. Most hate the idea but it could happen.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
I do not see how the Leafs play into the picture. For one, Faulk is not the type of guy the Leafs would be looking for, and his quality does not make up for the fact that he is not a good fit.

Secondly, the Leafs do not really have a scorer in the right range to get Faulk unless the Canes like Connor Brown.

For some reason I can see it being like a Puljujarvi for Faulk swap. I think he's a much better fit for Edmonton than anyone else right now. I do not really know how Chicago would go about it. I guess Anisimov or Saad because I doubt DeBrincat, Toews, Kane or Schmaltz would be available if they are looking to add to their team. I would say the same thing about Larkin in Detroit, except they would still have Mantha (although he may also be off the table), Nyquist and Athanasiou to offer up I guess as well.

In any case, the Leafs would be last on that list considering Connor Brown would really be the only forward I think the Leafs of value would really be willing to give up. Kapanen and Johnsson MAYBE, but even they I doubt would be on the table for Faulk considering there would likely need to be an unreasonable plus on top of them to get him.

780il

edm
May 29, 2018
Edmonton AB
But if Lucic does have a bad season he has even less value and his NMC is an even bigger issue.
Even if we can't move Lucic, we can still clear up 9.5m because Russell and Sekera's NMC's go to 10-15 team NTC's. Let's hope that Lucic bounces back so next offseason he'll be coming off a strong year and only have 4 years term left. If all three can be traded thats 14.5m savings, more than enough to shoot our shot at EK/Stone.

KarmaPolice

Snack enthusiast
Oct 5, 2007
In Limbo
Lucic has had ONE down season relative to his career scoring rate. The previous season he scored at 0.61 PPG (his career average is 0.59) and season before that was 0.68. He's actually a good candidate to bounce back. He was incredibly snake-bit around the net for the longest stretch. He was 10 goals off about scoring at his career pace, or very close. Yes, I realize that would be twice the amount he actually scored. But those goals were there, he just had zero puck luck and couldn't buy a goal. I know this place is a 'what have you done for me lately' but the vitriol against Lucic is hilarious. I really think he bounces back and I bet he scores ~20 goals and ~50 points next season and most of the crap spewed about him mysteriously vanishes. The last few seasons of his contract I worry a bit, but not the next two.

Not a fan of Faulk at all. Hope we stay far away.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $9,251.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Torino vs Bologna
    Torino vs Bologna
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $1,430.00