Rumor: Teams connected to Faulk: CHI, DET, EDM, and TOR

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
Lower value.

Why?

Because CAR went out and got Hamilton and DeHaan this offseason.

Waddell doesn't need to be desperate, but he's not getting great assets back for Faulk.

A contender isn’t going to offer less to Carolina for Faulk just because the Canes added Hamilton and De Haan. There are 31 teams in the league and 124 top-4 D slots. Whether the Canes own 4% of that market (5/124) or 3.2% (4/124) of that market doesn’t move the needle much from a demand standpoint.

The offers are already bad. If the Canes had a suitable offer at this point then they would not be preparing to pay one of Faulk, Pesce, or Hamilton $4-6 million to play on the 3rd pair (and scratch a $2 million TVR). The Canes are not as desperate to move Faulk as they were with Skinner who only had 1 year left.

Teams that are heavy on Karlsson will eventually be let down or get frustrated and look at other options. Faulk seems like an obvious backup plan. Not much rush to deal Faulk while the value-drivers like that are still in limbo.

Reactions: SaskCanesFan

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
My best offer is:
Ron Hainsey
Leafs 1st 2019
Calvin Pickard
Yegor Korschkov

Seems like a lot. CAR will have to come down a lot.

Yes, its 4 assets if that's what you mean by "a lot". Otherwise, its just another quantity over quality offer.

Canes would be moving Faulk because they have 7 NHL defensemen on the roster (Slavin, Pesce, Hamilton, De Hann, Faulk, TVR, Fleury). Taking an NHL defenseman back in a deal makes zero sense for the Canes.

Leafs 1st is very likely going to be at the very end of round 1, maybe even 31st.
26 year old AHL / back-up goalies like Pickard have almost no value in a trade, especially when he's going to have to pass through waivers in the first place.
Don't know much about Korschkov.

On the surface, not a very enticing deal. If that's the "best offer", I'd pass.

^^^ This is a better analysis imho.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
No way Carolina trades Faulk for RNH. It would be RNH ++

Its fine that you think so, but the Oilers wouldn't consider moving RNH for Faulk in any scenario, the time when Nuge may have been available is gone. The only way Edmonton and Carolina can do this deal I think is a three way trade. Even that will be too complicated with the Oil having to dump salary in this deal.

Reactions: TFHockey

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
Yes, its 4 assets if that's what you mean by "a lot". Otherwise, its just another quantity over quality offer.

^^^ This is a better analysis imho.

No. A 2019 1st is at play here and I think most teams would best be advised to try their damnedest to keep their pick.

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013
If you ignore that the Canes have no use for a bottom 6 winger, that might make sense.

Nah, even then it doesn't.

This.

And this doesn't even address the part of the original crap offer that also included a "top 4 " D in Hainsey....which of course CAR needs w/ Hamilton/Slavin/Pesce/de Haan...:help:

I wouldn't like it, since I think CAR needs a proven 20g guy back for Faulk, but I could put up with offers of Kapanen + 1st that were so common before the Skinner trade. The scraps added to a 1st or 2nd rd pick that Leaf fans have posted lately in this thread that they'd think would actually land a top 4 RHD on a reasonable contract is mind-boggling.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Don't get me wrong, I don't have confidence that Waddel won't make a bad trade, but just because a GM makes a bad trade, doesn't mean it makes sense. Guys like Chiarelli have taught us that.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
If nothing pleases Carolina now, maybe just better for all wait a year, and let Faulk value drop, when Dougie Hamilton runs the 1st PP.

Then he would be got for Skinner value. Nearer the UFA status comes... you guys know it.

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
This.

And this doesn't even address the part of the original crap offer that also included a "top 4 " D in Hainsey....which of course CAR needs w/ Hamilton/Slavin/Pesce/de Haan...:help:

I wouldn't like it, since I think CAR needs a proven 20g guy back for Faulk, but I could put up with offers of Kapanen + 1st that were so common before the Skinner trade. The scraps added to a 1st or 2nd rd pick that Leaf fans have posted lately in this thread that they'd think would actually land a top 4 RHD on a reasonable contract is mind-boggling.
I actually agree, but i am also a Leafs fan that doesn't want to target Faulk. I won't bash him, he just isn't the D we need.

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
A lot as in trading a top 4 D plus a first round pick and two prospects just to acquire Faulk.

I think a bottom 6 winger (full time roster player) plus a 2nd round draft pick could get it done.

I think (one of) the disconnect(s) here is the reference to Hainsey as a top-4 D. He'd be a bottom pairing defender on most good/decent teams. Our blueline isn't that strong, so we had to push him up on the depth charts because of lack of options. And the other 2 assets that are included are tertiary, hence little to no incentive for our potential trading partner.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
If nothing pleases Carolina now, maybe just better for all wait a year, and let Faulk value drop, when Dougie Hamilton runs the 1st PP.

Then he would be got for Skinner value. Nearer the UFA status comes... you guys know it.

Maybe, a couple counterpoints though:

1) Assuming Hamilton will automatically be on the #1 PP might be premature. Faulk has actually been a BETTER PP scorer than Hamilton last year, and over the past 4 years. Faulk may very well stay on that 1st PP unit.

2) Faulk is coming off a bad year in which his SH% was (IMO), unsustainably low. I think there's more chance he bounces back than gets worse, but that's just my opinion.

3) Flipside is the Canes are now in a position where they can let Faulk have lesser defensive responsibilities, and use him in a more offensive, sheltered role. His ES scoring and effectiveness could actually improve.

A bunch of what-ifs, but not totally unreasonable either.

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
I think (one of) the disconnect(s) here is the reference to Hainsey as a top-4 D. He'd be a bottom pairing defender on most good/decent teams. Our blueline isn't that strong, so we had to push him up on the depth charts because of lack of options. And the other 2 assets that are included are tertiary, hence little to no incentive for our potential trading partner.

It's been said before, but I don't think Hainsey has been lower than a number 4 throughout most of his career. This isn't like putting Antropov/Stajan in when Sundin retired type of thing. Hainsey might be not good enough to be a number two, but he sure is a top 4.

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
It's been said before, but I don't think Hainsey has been lower than a number 4 throughout most of his career. This isn't like putting Antropov/Stajan in when Sundin retired type of thing. Hainsey might be not good enough to be a number two, but he sure is a top 4.

Then why are we moving Hainsey if he is a legit top-4 defender? Doesn't make any sense.

Anyhow, I doubt if anything I say at this point will make a difference. So, its time .....

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013
I actually agree, but i am also a Leafs fan that doesn't want to target Faulk. I won't bash him, he just isn't the D we need.

Perfectly reasonable.

I think Faulk would help you guys, but maybe not as much as a guy like Pesce. With either guy from CAR, I think the asking price wouldn’t fit with what TOR would be willing to give up.

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
Even if you want to call Hainsey a Top 4 defender, he’s still 37 and a UFA next Summer. His trade value, and that’s all that matters to Carolina given the LHD depth in the organization, is less than that label. I mean, he only returned a 2nd in a similar circumstance 1.5 years ago.

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
Seems like a lot. CAR will have to come down a lot.

Lower value.

Why?

Because CAR went out and got Hamilton and DeHaan this offseason.

Waddell doesn't need to be desperate, but he's not getting great assets back for Faulk.
I just want to point out the fact that this guy is saying
1 - The Canes have to lower their Faulk value because they have too many D-men
2 - The Canes would have to raise their offer to acquire a deal that revolves around Hainsey, a D-man for Toronto who is clamoring for D

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
I just want to point out the fact that this guy is saying
1 - The Canes have to lower their Faulk value because they have too many D-men
2 - The Canes would have to raise their offer to acquire a deal that revolves around Hainsey, a D-man for Toronto who is clamoring for D

No.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad