Rumor: Teams connected to Faulk: CHI, DET, EDM, and TOR

zar

Bleed Blue
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2010
Edmonton AB
No buddy, Aho is not on par with Draisaitl

Sorry buddy but wake up, Aho just out scored drai's 20 year old season and drives his own line for the whole season.

Aho is a very, very good winger and is from what I have seen has every ability to be as good as Draisaitl. Problem is we are not comparing Aho this past season vs. Draisaitl of 2 years ago... we are using Draisaitl of today. Draisaitl today is a better overall player that Aho but that comes with a huge price tag (his salary).

Aho is likely stapled to the wing but Drai has the potential to play both wing and center... and naturally gravitates to center.

They have different styles but both are incredible players. Draisaitl more valuable today and Aho reasonably becoming the same producer as Drai as early as this upcoming and could potentially even be a higher point producer (speculation).

Personally, I would not trade Drai for Aho because I value what Drai brings to the table in all areas of his game. Also, I do not see Aho passing LD in overall value once SA signs his next contract within the next year.

I would trade a combination of picks (2nd or worse) and very average prospect/roster players for Faulk... he is worth that risk to see if he can be the guy for us as an offensive D &/or PP QB. That's all you would get from me at this point. I understand if the Cane's fans feel he could be worth more but, IMO, I doubt that they get much more for him at this point or the deal would have been done already. (assuming he is on the table at all)

Last edited:
Reactions: tarheelhockey

Falon

May 21, 2004
Kitchener, Ontario
I've said this in another post, but I'll subject it to general scrutiny. Given that Carolina lost several forwards, they probably want one (high preference given to a center) in return that is similar in age and talent to Faulk, who is a very good offensive defenseman. Looking at the teams that are said to be interested in the title of this post, Detroit doesn't have that comparable center and Chicago doesn't either (and don't really seem to need him with Murphy and Seabrook already there). Edmonton sure does seem like a fit, but I don't think Faulk would accept a trade there and even if he did, the comparable player is Nugent-hopkins (in terms of age and Carolina's wants). Edmonton can't afford to lose that offense and couple that with the backlash of the Hall trade; Chiarelli would screw himself unless he asked for alot more. If a trade between Carolina and Toronto went down, the comparable would be Kadri, except that I really don't think that Faulk is the player Toronto would want. Not because he is a bad player or anything, but that he doesn't fit what Toronto REALLY wants, which is a RD to be on the shutdown pairing with Rielly. Given the recent trade for Hamilton, Toronto would inquire about Pesce. Carolina would want Nylander, who they then would convert to C, as that is what they REALLY want. However Pesce isn't worth Nylander either (also considering the backlash over the Hall trade, not that Nylander is Hall, only that he seems to have similarly high potential), so if the Leafs were to consider it there would have to be another considerable piece coming back to Toronto. Maybe then they aren't good trading partners assuming Carolina is determined to trade Faulk. All these factors are likely why Faulk hasn't been traded yet.

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
Aho is a very, very good winger and is from what I have seen has every ability to be as good as Draisaitl. Problem is we are not comparing Aho this past season vs. Draisaitl of 2 years ago... we are using Draisaitl of today. Draisaitl today is a better overall player that Aho but that comes with a huge price tag (his salary).

Aho is likely stapled to the wing but Drai has the potential to play both wing and center... and naturally gravitates to center.

They have different styles but both are incredible players. Draisaitl more valuable today and Aho reasonably becoming the same producer as Drai as early as this upcoming and could potentially even be a higher point producer (speculation).

Personally, I would not trade Drai for Aho because I value what Drai brings to the table in all areas of his game. Also, I do not see Aho passing LD in overall value once SA signs his next contract within the next year.

I would trade a combination of picks (2nd or worse) and very average prospect/roster players for Faulk... he is worth that risk to see if he can be the guy for us as an offensive D &/or PP QB. That's all you would get from me at this point. I understand if the Cane's fans feel he could be worth more but, IMO, I doubt that they get much more for him at this point or the deal would have been done already. (assuming he is on the table at all)

Aho is a center internationally and finished last season in the middle. Nothing is set in stone, but don’t be surprised if he starts in that spot in October. He may not be stapled to the wing.

Most would admit that Draisaitl is the more valuable player. Some may not consent to a trade given emotional attachment. What has found to be objectionable is making the gap out to be substantial. Aho got within 5 points of Draisaitl just last year as the primary offensive driver on his line and team full-time. What he did is very impressive. The steady improvement, half-season after half-season, at his age gives reason to believe he’s legit. It might not last, but there's not much of a gap in overall value at this particular moment.

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
Canes looked pretty good at times last year. Were pretty close to a playoff spot at one point I remember. They made some changes this off season despite that. Do Canes fan think they are better with these changes or looking at taking a step back?

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
Canes looked pretty good at times last year. Were pretty close to a playoff spot at one point I remember. They made some changes this off season despite that. Do Canes fan think they are better with these changes or looking at taking a step back?

Could be better. Could be worse. The offseason was a step sideways on paper.

Offense: Svechnikov and Necas replace Skinner and Ryan, if they live up to the expectation of their prospect status. Some skill was lost by going from Lindholm to Ferland, but he should help them becomes less of a perimeter team.

Defense: I didn’t think defense was an issue last season. They upgraded it anyway, adding de Haan and Hamilton. I really like the mix if Faulk is kept around to support the offense. If the aggressiveness is toned down and the goaltending holds up, they have a chance at a spot in the Top 10 in terms of GA.

Goaltending: If Darling doesn’t rebound, Ward isn’t there to stabilize things. Mrazek as the insurance policy is scary. Goaltending will define the season.

The East is deep, so there isn’t much of an opportunity to be more than a WC. They’ll be in contention for a spot, if a lot of things go well. I wouldn’t put money it.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
I did until the Skinner trade. Still have the chance to step things up offensively if Faulk is moved for another guy capable of potting 20+ goals to take up the spot that left with Skinner.

Basically we went in to the season with 1 hole in the top 6, whether it was LW or C was dependent on where Aho was to play next season. Also had a hole at #1G. Svechnikov and Necas were coming in either way and replacing (and improving on IMHO) Lindholm and Ryan.

I was fairly bullish based on the increase in production that would likely be seen naturally by improving our 2nd line with the 2 young guns, but following the Skinner trade I feel the team has to find 15-20 goals somewhere else now to make it. Could happen via a Faulk trade, return if the rest of the defense steps up offensively. Or if Faulk rebounds in to 15+ goal form and whoever is called up from the farm can produce 15+ but I'm not banking on that.

And I feel we downgraded significantly in net by not buying out Darling and letting Ward walk. IMHO: Ward-Mrazek >> Ward-Darling >> Darling-Mrazek.

So basically treading water or even taking a step back if goaltending is as big a dumpster fire as it could be.

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina
You lost this argument when you went to the ‘fragility’ well. Over the last five seasons, Faulk averages a grand total of 3.5 more games played per season. An average of 71 games vs an average of 74.5. This isn’t Zach Bogosian level of injuries we’re talking about here. What WOULD raise red flags for the average GM would be Faulk’s declining play, mobility issues, and generally disinterested level of play.

Actually, you're the one that probably should go back to debate school. :sarcasm: I was making the point about Nugent-Hopkins' fragility because it is a factor in making an overall value comparison. You cannot make the argument that a guy is a 56 point player when one of the factors that must be considered is the number of actual games played. Indeed it is a component in valuing any player, in this case, Faulk as well. Still Faulk has played a notable number of games more than RNH. Plus, whether or not you want to admit it, an offensively capable RHD just has more value in the marketplace than a forward does, draft pedigree be damned.

When referencing a player like Faulk's defense you have to actually watch him play the games instead of merely stats watching. Faulk is and always has been a pretty solid defender. As was stated he can and does over-commit from time to time and that gets him into trouble. Add to this the fact that he was often paired with one of Ron Hainsey, Haydn Fleury, or Noah Hanifin, none of which are stellar defenders in their own right. I include Hainsey in this group as he and Faulk took top pairing minutes three seasons ago. Occasionally Hainsey was indeed a stabilizing force. But he was also often caught out of position or just plain "puck focused" and Faulk would struggle to cover up for those errors. Fleury and Hanifin are/were just young and learning the NHL game. Same situation held, Faulk, as a guy who wore a letter, often tried to cover for their errors (or felt he needed to) and that would also lead to him being caught out of position.

The issues around his speed and/or lateral motion really only surfaced this season and I think it had something to do with both adding muscle mass, but also with training more on his upper body than his lower body. Add in Peters' aggressive defensive style and it hurt his overall outcomes. One only has to look to when he was paired with Andrej Sekera to see the difference. He played his own game and played it well defensively.

What I also said wasn't that Faulk and RNH had equal value. What I did say was that they were closer in value that you're able to admit.

This is my issue...it isn't like he had a "rough stretch" of games....or even an off season, he's had 2 less than stellar seasons back to back. I don't get the value being placed on him.

17 goals in 75 games isn't exactly a rough patch.

Sure, and you wouldn’t try to oversell your player to the rest of the board, would you?

Nobody ever does that! Nobody in their right mind would make the claim that a player is a 60 point per season player despite never having gotten to that level....or nobody would ever claim that a guy's gonna be a 70 point player playing on another guys wing just because a small sample size of a season demonstrated a modicum of chemistry.

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
Actually, you're the one that probably should go back to debate school. :sarcasm: I was making the point about Nugent-Hopkins' fragility because it is a factor in making an overall value comparison. You cannot make the argument that a guy is a 56 point player when one of the factors that must be considered is the number of actual games played. Indeed it is a component in valuing any player, in this case, Faulk as well. Still Faulk has played a notable number of games more than RNH. Plus, whether or not you want to admit it, an offensively capable RHD just has more value in the marketplace than a forward does, draft pedigree be damned.

When referencing a player like Faulk's defense you have to actually watch him play the games instead of merely stats watching. Faulk is and always has been a pretty solid defender. As was stated he can and does over-commit from time to time and that gets him into trouble. Add to this the fact that he was often paired with one of Ron Hainsey, Haydn Fleury, or Noah Hanifin, none of which are stellar defenders in their own right. I include Hainsey in this group as he and Faulk took top pairing minutes three seasons ago. Occasionally Hainsey was indeed a stabilizing force. But he was also often caught out of position or just plain "puck focused" and Faulk would struggle to cover up for those errors. Fleury and Hanifin are/were just young and learning the NHL game. Same situation held, Faulk, as a guy who wore a letter, often tried to cover for their errors (or felt he needed to) and that would also lead to him being caught out of position.

The issues around his speed and/or lateral motion really only surfaced this season and I think it had something to do with both adding muscle mass, but also with training more on his upper body than his lower body. Add in Peters' aggressive defensive style and it hurt his overall outcomes. One only has to look to when he was paired with Andrej Sekera to see the difference. He played his own game and played it well defensively.

What I also said wasn't that Faulk and RNH had equal value. What I did say was that they were closer in value that you're able to admit.

Nobody ever does that! Nobody in their right mind would make the claim that a player is a 60 point per season player despite never having gotten to that level....or nobody would ever claim that a guy's gonna be a 70 point player playing on another guys wing just because a small sample size of a season demonstrated a modicum of chemistry.
I will repeat what i have said before....Faulk is a "defense" man....17 goals, whoopty doo. You see again, we had a guy who scored 52 points last year...he isn't worth anything on these boards. So if you want to pump Faulk's tires to me, you better be able to show me good D stats.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton

And no one would eeeeeever try to present Faulk as even mediocre defensively despite the mountain of evidence that he’s just plain bad. It’s the coaches fault, or his partner’s fault, or Carolina’s goaltending’s fault, or the sun was in his eyes. His defensive game is not good and now his offensive game is drying up as well. He can’t get anything done if he’s not being forcefed powerplay minutes.

I have watched Faulk plenty both internationally and in the NHL. He’s easily - EASILY - your worst regular defenceman defensively. Read Travis Yost’s article on him for this damning fact: ever year for the last six seasons, Carolina’s save percentage has been significantly worse with Faulk on the ice. Every. Single. Year. Yes, your goaltending is bad - but it’s worse with Faulk, no matter who’s been in net. That should say something.

He’s also now your worst mobility wise. Play him wherever you want, make him your water boy for all I care, he’s not worth a young top six forward. ‘It’s closer than you’d admit’ says to me you’re Lloyd Christmas thinking there’s a chance it could happen if you added a junk pick or a B prospect.

Over his career RNH is a 56 point pace player per 82 games. That’s what I said, and it’s a good pace. He’s not fragile and no GM is looking at him saying ‘hm I bet that kid is breaking down. He’s 25. His defensive game is fairly well heralded. He just had ~20 points in 18 games on McDavids wing. There’s no sense in expecting that a good player in his own right won’t continue to get a McBump with decreased defensive responsibility and increased quality of linemates. Your ‘fragility’ argument is particularly out to lunch when you consider that 1) Faulk and RNH have been in the league the same number of seasons and Faulk has played a grand total of 20 more regular season games. It has no bearing whatsoever - and 2) RNH’s injuries are not cumulative or of the ‘breaking down’ type. He broke his hand two years ago blocking a shot and broke two ribs when he took a hit. Those aren’t ‘soft’ or ‘fragile’ injuries.

I don’t care what Faulk’s handedness is. The ‘well he’s a RHD so he’s worth lots’ card is completely bogus. Is Matt Benning suddenly worth Necas because he shoots right (and is better defensively than Faulk and a better even strength producer?) is that how it works? Matt Benning for Staal! Benning is a RHD dammit, he’s gotta be worth lots! :laugh:

Last edited:

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina
And no one would eeeeeever try to present Faulk as even mediocre defensively despite the mountain of evidence that he’s just plain bad. It’s the coaches fault, or his partner’s fault, or Carolina’s goaltending’s fault, or the sun was in his eyes. His defensive game is not good and now his offensive game is drying up as well. He can’t get anything done if he’s not being forcefed powerplay minutes.

I have watched Faulk plenty both internationally and in the NHL. He’s easily - EASILY - your worst regular defenceman defensively. He’s also now your worst mobility wise. Play him wherever you want, make him your water boy for all I care, he’s not worth a young top six forward. ‘It’s closer than you’d admit’ says to me you’re Lloyd Christmas thinking there’s a chance it could happen if you added a junk pick or a B prospect.

Over his career RNH is a 56 point pace player per 82 games. That’s what I said, and it’s a good pace. He’s not fragile and no GM is looking at him saying ‘hm I bet that kid is breaking down. He’s 25. His defensive game is fairly well heralded. He just had ~20 points in 18 games on McDavids wing. There’s no sense in expecting that a good player in his own right won’t continue to get a McBump with decreased defensive responsibility and increased quality of linemates. Your ‘fragility’ argument is particularly out to lunch when you consider that 1) Faulk and RNH have been in the league the same number of seasons and Faulk has played a grand total of 20 more regular season games. It has no bearing whatsoever - and 2) RNH’s injuries are not cumulative or of the ‘breaking down’ type. He broke his hand two years ago blocking a shot and broke two ribs when he took a hit. Those aren’t ‘soft’ or ‘fragile’ injuries.

I don’t care what Faulk’s handedness is. The ‘well he’s a RHD so he’s worth lots’ card is completely bogus. Is Matt Benning suddenly worth Necas because he shoots right (and is better defensively than Faulk and a better even strength producer?) is that how it works? Matt Benning for Staal! Benning is a RHD dammit, he’s gotta be worth lots! :laugh:

Again, I repeatedly said that GMs take all things into account INCLUDING games missed to injury, actual point production, goals scored (from a position that historically scores fewer goals), linemates, team systems, etc. They take it all into account.

If you don't think that certain positions have additional value especially when they produce offensively in excess of the positional average (concept of scarcity), then I don't know what to tell you. Look, you have your viewpoint and I have mine. I watched Faulk and the Hurricanes more than 75 times this past season and likely over 3/4 of all the games Faulk has played with the team. Your analysis of his defense is just wrong.

And the excuse making and mental gymnastics to try and pump up RNH's historically underachieving offensive numbers in an attempt to align them with some undeniable trend is laughable. But have at it if you'd like. We can just agree to disagree.

I've admitted that I'd like to have RNH on the Canes (I think he'd be a good fit) and I'll even admit that we may have to add....a little....in any Faulk for RNH swap. But I've also said it is unlikely to happen as the Hurricanes can and probably will hold out for more value in any Faulk trade such that they'd not be adding....but heck, I could be wrong.

Let's just agree to wait and see what happens. Then one or both of us can laugh and gloat or sob and be disgruntled. I'm responsible enough to eat crow should it be required.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Out of curiosity is RNH being considered a "young forward"? He's 25 to Faulk's 26..... but reading your posts I'd swear we were offering a 33 year old who had missed a season with his third knee surgery and a replaced hip.

You’re offering an average skating at best defenceman that’s poor defensively and doesn’t produce much 5 on 5, coming off of his worst offensive season, that plays the same position as Bear and Bouchard, two of our best prospects. We have more than enough bodies on defence.

RNH is not for sale as far as Carolina should be concerned. We CANNOT lose him. Our forwards are so shallow from years of stupid trades that Faulk or Faulk + is absolutely not of interest unless we’re talking reclamation project prices. Toronto has forwards to burn and the best pieces they’re offering are a 25 year old AHLer or a 3rd line winger with 14 goals.

The only way I would be interested in Faulk is if it involved sending Sekera, Lucic, or Russell back your way (possibly retained) and the price didn’t include anything else significant off the roster or from the prospect pool. Most Oiler fans feel similarly. The only place he’d help is the powerplay and we had a top 5 PP in 16-17 with a healthy Klefbom running it - hence why most of us don’t see him as a need there either.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Again, I repeatedly said that GMs take all things into account INCLUDING games missed to injury, actual point production, goals scored (from a position that historically scores fewer goals), linemates, team systems, etc. They take it all into account.

If you don't think that certain positions have additional value especially when they produce offensively in excess of the positional average (concept of scarcity), then I don't know what to tell you. Look, you have your viewpoint and I have mine. I watched Faulk and the Hurricanes more than 75 times this past season and likely over 3/4 of all the games Faulk has played with the team. Your analysis of his defense is just wrong.

And the excuse making and mental gymnastics to try and pump up RNH's historically underachieving offensive numbers in an attempt to align them with some undeniable trend is laughable. But have at it if you'd like. We can just agree to disagree.

I've admitted that I'd like to have RNH on the Canes (I think he'd be a good fit) and I'll even admit that we may have to add....a little....in any Faulk for RNH swap. But I've also said it is unlikely to happen as the Hurricanes can and probably will hold out for more value in any Faulk trade such that they'd not be adding....but heck, I could be wrong.

Let's just agree to wait and see what happens. Then one or both of us can laugh and gloat or sob and be disgruntled. I'm responsible enough to eat crow should it be required.

RHD are scarcer than LHD, sure. Centres are also scarce too. The only reason RNH is playing LW now is that Draisaitl is a better centre than he is. No fault of his.

We shall see. One thing I can pretty much guarantee you though is RNH will start the year on Connor McDavid’s wing, whether you add to Faulk or not. Faulk will probably end up in Chicago or Detroit which is fine by us.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
I think if you just said the Oilers can't afford to move RNH due to offensive depth like you did a couple of posts ago and let it end there you would've done a lot better than with the Faulk smear campaign tactic. I get you can't afford to lose RNH - totally understandable.....it's the whole Faulk is crap thing that's nonsense.

We're not taking any of your bad money back so if you were actually speaking for the Oilers I would agree this is a bad fit. One for one disregarding the rest of the two teams makeup these are two players that are near value.

Reactions: BHD and Cane mutiny

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
I think if you just said the Oilers can't afford to move RNH due to offensive depth like you did a couple of posts ago and let it end there you would've done a lot better than with the Faulk smear campaign tactic. I get you can't afford to lose RNH - totally understandable.....it's the whole Faulk is crap thing that's nonsense.

I also firmly believe that Faulk is not worth RNH, so no, I couldn’t just say that because it wouldn’t have told the whole truth. Even if we still had Hall and Eberle I wouldn’t have considered Faulk a decent target. His game drives me absolutely ballistic. He’s he Dustin Penner of defencemen - big, lazy, lackadaisical. Faulk isn’t even a halfway decent passer FFS.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
I also firmly believe that Faulk is not worth RNH, so no, I couldn’t just say that because it wouldn’t have told the whole truth. Even if we still had Hall and Eberle I wouldn’t have considered Faulk a decent target. His game drives me absolutely ballistic. He’s he Dustin Penner of defencemen - big, lazy, lackadaisical. Faulk isn’t even a halfway decent passer FFS.
You just keep making yourself sound worse. He's not big, he's 6'0". He's never been lazy. I get you hate him. We all do. I think the majority of the rest of the hockey watching world would think these two are in the same ballpark. Similar age, contracts and levels of success at their position. Your personal total lack of agreement and respect for Faulk has been duly noted.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
You just keep making yourself sound worse. He's not big, he's 6'0". He's never been lazy. I get you hate him. We all do. I think the majority of the rest of the hockey watching world would think these two are in the same ballpark. Similar age, contracts and levels of success at their position. Your personal total lack of agreement and respect for Faulk has been duly noted.

He’s 215 pounds. That’s plenty big. If he’s playing overweight that’s another Penner similarity.

No one else but you guys think that Faulk is worth a top six centre like RNH. And you won’t get one either.

I think that Edmonton should be removed from this thread entirely. I haven’t seen a single Oiler fan in it that would take Faulk for anything other than camp dumps and spare parts.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
He’s 215 pounds. That’s plenty big. If he’s playing overweight that’s another Penner similarity.

No one else but you guys think that Faulk is worth a top six centre like RNH. And you won’t get one either.

I think that Edmonton should be removed from this thread entirely. I haven’t seen a single Oiler fan in it that would take Faulk for anything other than camp dumps and spare parts.
Sure we should be pulled from Faulk negotiations, … as soon as another suitor offers a top six center.

Oilers will have a standard offer similar to what they got for Skinner, and the only way it budges is maybe sweetening whatever pick or prospect we include. If it isn't enough, then okay. Half the Oil fanbase doesn't want him anyway, and the half that wants him recognizes that he has some pretty big flaws.

I doubt Carolina wants to wait this out btw. Faulk makes 6 million a season now. That's a ton for a bottom pairing guy, especially on a team with a budget, and it is a bad situation for Faulk to gain back value. There is huge risk that he is much worse than he was last season, and that was even a down year. So there is big risk in keeping him and waiting.

To be clear, I'm not saying the deal has to be made right away. It could be done early during the season. Also, I think someone could offer a decent center, but just not an RNH type. More like an Anisimov or Haula type (that's not a comment on the availability of those players btw).

meefer

Jun 9, 2015
Bangkok
Biggest need for Faulk at the moment would be a LW or preferably C who has a track record of scoring 20g a season. Will they get that, who knows?

When they asked CHI for Saad 1-1, the Blackhawks balked. I think he’s still a Hurricane because Donnie Wadz has stuck to his guns in asking price so far. Whether or not that changes going into the season, again, who knows?

It’s a risk, I think l, holding onto Faulk, but it’s one they have to take. They can’t let Faulk go for a Skinner-like return. They also will need to take back some salary in a deal as I believe they’d be under the floor after shedding Faulk’s $4.8M hit. That’s likely one of the reasons why you haven’t seen a futures trade yet. CAR needs to trade Faulk to supplement their very young forward core. When that actually happens is anyone’s guess.

From a LW perspective, the Leafs could offer Andreas Johnsson. Johnsson lit it up in the AHL playoffs, recording 24 points (including 10 goals) in 16 games after putting up 54 points in 54 games in the regular season. That playoff production earned him the MVP award. Johnsson should find a third- or fourth-line role with the Leafs in 2018-19, but he has the speed and strength to play up the lineup. Marleau/Hyman/Leivo don't have his potential or wouldn't be traded for other reasons. Our only other option would be Carl Grundstrom who is less proven than Johnsson. For the Canes' this would take a leap of faith in Johnsson's development potential and they'd demand a 2nd piece to the puzzle: a 2nd?/Carrick to support RD if an injury were to occur? For salary purposes we have Nathon Horton who would end up on LTIR at 5+ for two more years, but I'm no capologist and have no idea if the Leafs wish to use him for salary purposes. Leafs and their fans are high on Johnsson and I'm not sure if they'd pull the trigger, but it's the best I can come up with for your LW needs.

At C, I can't see a fit. While our top three Cs are impressive, we are organizationally weak after that. Kadri, who would be the obvious choice is, imo, worth more to the Leafs than Faulk.

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina
You’re offering an average skating at best defenceman that’s poor defensively and doesn’t produce much 5 on 5, coming off of his worst offensive season, that plays the same position as Bear and Bouchard, two of our best prospects.

Operative word being "prospects". Hopefully they work out for you guys....but to assume that they are NHLers is a pretty big leap.

Toronto has forwards to burn and the best pieces they’re offering are a 25 year old AHLer or a 3rd line winger with 14 goals.

Kyle Dubas, is that you?

RHD are scarcer than LHD, sure. Centres are also scarce too. The only reason RNH is playing LW now is that Draisaitl is a better centre than he is. No fault of his.

What???!!! He's playing wing because he's not good enough at center. Let's be fair here. He scored 48 points last year which puts him at 2nd/3rd line tweener territory (using your own misguided stats watching logic)....and this from a guy who likes him. Let's just wait and see what this season brings.

We actually just need a guy who can score 20 goals or so....doesn't matter whether he plays center or LW. Him being a center is a bonus, but he'd likely slot in at wing for us as well (depending on what Aho does).

I doubt Carolina wants to wait this out btw. Faulk makes 6 million a season now.

Carolina has a cap hit of a bit below $61 million and an actual payroll (including Faulk's salary) of about $61.5 million. We have a new billionaire owner who has stated that paying Faulk's salary to play wherever he slots in the lineup is a non-issue. There's almost no team in the league that could possess as much patience with a player as Carolina can with Faulk.

Finlandia WOAT

js7.4x8fnmcf5070124
May 23, 2010
I doubt Carolina wants to wait this out btw. Faulk makes 6 million a season now. That's a ton for a bottom pairing guy, especially on a team with a budget,

They're close enough to the cap floor the removal of Faulk's cap hit puts them under. The budget shouldn't matter wrt a Faulk trade.

Reactions: SaskCanesFan

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad