Team 1040 vs CKNW 980 ( Dan Russell, Tyler Green, Joe Leary, Paul Debron Fired)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Betamax*

I'm not a huge Dan fan, most guys just get stale after a while, but it's funny that the Team took over the stale Bro for one of their flagship slots.

At least Dan knows his sports compared to Bro.

But at least the Bro knows a lot of people that are involved in sports or "celebs" that have interests in sports!

LolClarkson*

Russell has quite a lot of loyal listeners built over the course of about three decades of programming ... for proof just look at his twitter account, the tire pumping is operating at 110 percent:

https://twitter.com/DanRussellST

he literally retweets every positive tweet and kudos he receives from his loyal fans!

Hey

Dan uses the Rogers arena announcer to open his show. He must be buddies with him but I wonder if Aquaman would be bitter about this..

jojoh07*

I think what a lot of these kids on these threads dont get is alot of us grew up listening to sportstalk

it was THE show for canucks fans

he gets hate from people because he does not wave a pom pom for this team but even to this day he brings a different perspective then these robots at 1040

but i do agree , he does tend to go off on callers who disagree with his view

John Bender*

I think what a lot of these kids on these threads dont get is alot of us grew up listening to sportstalk

it was THE show for canucks fans

he gets hate from people because he does not wave a pom pom for this team but even to this day he brings a different perspective then these robots at 1040

but i do agree , he does tend to go off on callers who disagree with his view

********, the guy went off the rails when he was denied the play by play job. His contention that he is just not "house radio" is garbage. The guy detests everything about the Canucks. He brings a different perspective, sure...........but it's an absurd perspective that is build on a vindictive foundation.

I grew up listening to the guy too. In the late 80's and early 90's his show was fantastic. His Canuck coverage was great. He covered everything so well. He lost his mind though after he lost out on the PBP job. Can't stand the guy.....

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
********, the guy went off the rails when he was denied the play by play job. His contention that he is just not "house radio" is garbage. The guy detests everything about the Canucks. He brings a different perspective, sure...........but it's an absurd perspective that is build on a vindictive foundation.

I grew up listening to the guy too. In the late 80's and early 90's his show was fantastic. His Canuck coverage was great. He covered everything so well. He lost his mind though after he lost out on the PBP job. Can't stand the guy.....

Pretty much.

He's one of the only legitimately intelligent guys in the local media, but completely lost the plot when he lost out on the PBP job to Shorthouse a decade ago.

Such a waste of ability, because his show used to be great, and should still be great. Instead it's the garbled garbage of an old man bitter before his time.

Betamax*

Hey

Dan uses the Rogers arena announcer to open his show. He must be buddies with him but I wonder if Aquaman would be bitter about this..

That's John Ashbridge. It's not surprising that Dan Russell has developed a friendship with the long-time announcer of the Canucks. I also believe he also does Vancouver Giants Games when the schedule doesn't conflict with the Canucks and he also was a guest announcer for the baseball Canadians when Gretzky was in town to see his son play and went up specifically to the broadcasting booth to meet him since he remembered his distinctive voice.

Betamax*

Hey

http://www.vancouversun.com/sports/Radio+Russell+turns+down+dial/8855530/story.html

Has anybody posted the above article? It's a week or so old, but I think it's a pretty balanced look at Russell.

He does admit that he took the anti-Canuck thing to far, and he's going to try to correct that.

Those that still regularly listen to Dan Russell here ... I'd be interested in hearing how he approaches his post-game shows in light of his acknowledgement that he's going to take a more moderate approach to covering the team. He'll have one for the opening game but since he's on a Sunday-Friday schedule, the Saturday game won't be covered.

carolinacanuck

Apr 5, 2007
The Carolinas
That's John Ashbridge. It's not surprising that Dan Russell has developed a friendship with the long-time announcer of the Canucks. I also believe he also does Vancouver Giants Games when the schedule doesn't conflict with the Canucks and he also was a guest announcer for the baseball Canadians when Gretzky was in town to see his son play and went up specifically to the broadcasting booth to meet him since he remembered his distinctive voice.

And this is one thing I dislike about the Vancouver Giants. If they're a developmental league, why do they insist on using Ashbridge as their in-house announcer?

Seriously...give a young, up-and-comer the gig.

YouppiKiYay

Jul 3, 2011
Bellingham, WA
Those that still regularly listen to Dan Russell here ... I'd be interested in hearing how he approaches his post-game shows in light of his acknowledgement that he's going to take a more moderate approach to covering the team. He'll have one for the opening game but since he's on a Sunday-Friday schedule, the Saturday game won't be covered.

I used to listen to Russell's segments with Iain MacIntyre and Brad Ziemer on the old show,and I will try to listen on the new one as well. His whole super-self-conscious outsider radio schtick was tiresome, mostly because it was so hollow. I don't sense that MacIntyre is much different on Dan's show than he is on the Canucks Lunch. And the way Russell implied that his insider colleagues are ethically challenged was surely unwise. Pratt did the we're not house radio thing much better because he didn't burn bridges.

I suspect Lee Powell will help keep Dan grounded and make for a better show.

John Bender*

http://www.vancouversun.com/sports/Radio+Russell+turns+down+dial/8855530/story.html

Has anybody posted the above article? It's a week or so old, but I think it's a pretty balanced look at Russell.

He does admit that he took the anti-Canuck thing to far, and he's going to try to correct that.

He says though, that the rationale for his anti-canuck stance was to play "devils advocate" and that maybe he had pushed too much "devil." What a crock. His anti-Canuck stance was due to his personal vendetta against the team. He should be honest about it and apologize to his fans and admit that he went off the rails.

Betamax*

And this is one thing I dislike about the Vancouver Giants. If they're a developmental league, why do they insist on using Ashbridge as their in-house announcer?

Seriously...give a young, up-and-comer the gig.

I think the reason why the Giants did that was to give them a higher profile and "big league" feel since Ashbridge is an institution in this market. Similarly with their plans to have a Blake Price to do radio broadcast play by play when it doesn't conflict with his Canucks hosting duties as having a broadcaster that is on one of the main shows on the local Sports Radio Station cover the Giants is good for its branding.

I suspect Lee Powell will help keep Dan grounded and make for a better show.

I've always enjoyed listening to Lee Powell when he was on the air during his NW and TEAM radio days. Professional would be the one word to describe him.

LolClarkson*

I think the reason why the Giants did that was to give them a higher profile and "big league" feel since Ashbridge is an institution in this market. Similarly with their plans to have a Blake Price to do radio broadcast play by play when it doesn't conflict with his Canucks hosting duties as having a broadcaster that is on one of the main shows on the local Sports Radio Station cover the Giants is good for its branding.

I've always enjoyed listening to Lee Powell when he was on the air during his NW and TEAM radio days. Professional would be the one word to describe him.

Yeah Lee is good. Very down to earth.

NuxFan09

Jun 8, 2008
Merritt, BC
Listening to Sekeres and Price on 1040 right now. I'll admit I like the show but I just can't stand when they get callers that disagree with them and don't let them get a whole sentence out. The subject was about getting fighting out of the game and a couple callers tried to argue why fighting should stay and not only did Matt and Blake keep interrupting both of them but then when they got tired of the debate they hung up on them. At no point in the calls were either of those callers able to get even a complete sentence in.

Memo to Matt Sekeres and Blake Price: If you're going to take callers, listen to what they have to say. Debate what the callers have to say all you want, as that's what makes the whole thing interesting, but give them a fair shake to get their point across in full.

Again, I very much like the show, but it gets maddening when that air of superiority to the callers comes out from time to time, especially because I have listened to examples of utter incompetence as far as their knowledge goes. I remember recently during preseason Sekeres was asking Dave Tomlinsin about a certain player and going on about how invisible he was and then Tomlinsin said "He wasn't in the lineup, Matt". It ended up that there was an error on the NHL.com scoresheet, which was this particular player being listed as in the lineup, but if Sekeres paid attention to the game he would have known right away that said player wasn't in the lineup anyway.

There was another instance not too long ago when Sekeres was asking Price to guess a certain individual's favourite Bruins (I forget who the individual in question was). I think Price got one of them right and when it came to the 3rd one he kept guessing but still couldn't get it right. The punchline: at no point did he think to guess Bobby freaking Orr.

BeardyCanuck03

@BeardyCanuck03
Jun 19, 2006
twitter.com
Listening to Sekeres and Price on 1040 right now. I'll admit I like the show but I just can't stand when they get callers that disagree with them and don't let them get a whole sentence out. The subject was about getting fighting out of the game and a couple callers tried to argue why fighting should stay and not only did Matt and Blake keep interrupting both of them but then when they got tired of the debate they hung up on them. At no point in the calls were either of those callers able to get even a complete sentence in.

Memo to Matt Sekeres and Blake Price: If you're going to take callers, listen to what they have to say. Debate what the callers have to say all you want, as that's what makes the whole thing interesting, but give them a fair shake to get their point across in full.

Again, I very much like the show, but it gets maddening when that air of superiority to the callers comes out from time to time, especially because I have listened to examples of utter incompetence as far as their knowledge goes. I remember recently during preseason Sekeres was asking Dave Tomlinsin about a certain player and going on about how invisible he was and then Tomlinsin said "He wasn't in the lineup, Matt". It ended up that there was an error on the NHL.com scoresheet, which was this particular player being listed as in the lineup, but if Sekeres paid attention to the game he would have known right away that said player wasn't in the lineup anyway.

There was another instance not too long ago when Sekeres was asking Price to guess a certain individual's favourite Bruins (I forget who the individual in question was). I think Price got one of them right and when it came to the 3rd one he kept guessing but still couldn't get it right. The punchline: at no point did he think to guess Bobby freaking Orr.

I'll be honest, callers are stupid. 90% of callers are morons who can't explain their flawed arguments.

I would say the first caller in TMIW that called up was one of the 90% who had such a horrible argument and when Sekeres and Price poked a hole in it, he couldn't recover and was studdering, it was his time to go.

I bet they don't like having callers on topics like fighting, cause there are too many idiots who can't form a logical argument that call in.

Alflives*

I'll be honest, callers are stupid. 90% of callers are morons who can't explain their flawed arguments.

I would say the first caller in TMIW that called up was one of the 90% who had such a horrible argument and when Sekeres and Price poked a hole in it, he couldn't recover and was studdering, it was his time to go.

I bet they don't like having callers on topics like fighting, cause there are too many idiots who can't form a logical argument that call in.

Why did the Team 1040 fire guys and move others around, and then hire this Bro Jake person. I find this new morning show (sadly) difficult to listen to. IMO the previous format was much better, with Scotty. The callers, are not the most evident issue.

NuxFan09

Jun 8, 2008
Merritt, BC

They don't even give callers a chance to explain themselves though. Even if the argument may be flawed or wrong, let them have their say. That's why they took the time to call. If they think the average IQ of their callers is too low to make it worth listening to what they have to say, don't take callers. Again, it's not like their knowledge is so high but they get a couple hours of uninterrupted air time to spew some of their rubbish.

Proto

Jan 30, 2010
Blake Price and Matt Sekeres hanging up on someone for not forming an intelligent thought approaches a level of irony that may cause irrevocable damage to the multiverse.

Betamax*

Why did the Team 1040 fire guys and move others around, and then hire this Bro Jake person. I find this new morning show (sadly) difficult to listen to. IMO the previous format was much better, with Scotty. The callers, are not the most evident issue.

It always comes down to generating higher ratings and sponsorships. Bro Jake is very good at networking and establishing relationships in this market and is well liked from a diverse cross-section of notable names in this market. They believe that Bro Jake will be able to attract a broader audience than the 'hardcore' sports fan i.e. some of his Rock 101 fanbase would follow him to his new gig. As this thread has shown, he has alienated some of the existing 'hardcore' sports fan but they are forcasting that enough sports fans craving local sports content will stick with the morning show while some of his former Rock 101 fanbase will exceed the loss of those that are turned off by his shtick.

Time will reveal if they're right or not.

wreckless

Apr 27, 2010
vancouver
i find 'bro jake and the pratt man' un-listenable, much like bmac and taylor.

imo i'd rather see pratt back with taylor and throw bmac with bro - at least then the afternoon show would be somewhat entertaining.. bmac couldn't compliment taylor any less, and that time slot needs some sort of umphh, not mundane bmac.

as for serkeres and price hanging up on people; they are by far the best show on vancouver radio so it is what it is.

ShouldveDraftedFiala

Feb 20, 2007
i find 'bro jake and the pratt man' un-listenable, much like bmac and taylor.

imo i'd rather see pratt back with taylor and throw bmac with bro - at least then the afternoon show would be somewhat entertaining.. bmac couldn't compliment taylor any less, and that time slot needs some sort of umphh, not mundane bmac.

as for serkeres and price hanging up on people; they are by far the best show on vancouver radio so it is what it is.

Totally agree. Pratt is a waste with Bro "I love the sound of my voice" Jake. And B-Mac is just horrible, always has been, and the afternoon show is trash now. Get Pratt and Taylor back together in the afternoon. Send B-Mac back to the minors in the morning and let him try to talk over Bro.

Sekeres and Price is good, but the latter can be super annoying, especially today with his rant against fighting. Whatever. I would've loved to hear McLean lay the smack down on both of them today like he did with B-Mac and Taylor regarding fighting. You know the media is bad when McLean is the voice of reason.

Props to Rintoul, wish he was in a day slot still, but I've always enjoyed his shows. Very underrated.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad