Team 1040 vs CKNW 980 ( Dan Russell, Tyler Green, Joe Leary, Paul Debron Fired)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Betamax*

It's a dumb show for dumb people. Dumb hosts, basic, simple sports chatter, fart jokes, and the Champ.

Can't say it much more plainly than this. It's a horrible trainwreck of a show, and I don't know how long it can possibly last.

Well, IMO, today's morning show was their best effort to date. If they maintain this level of performance, I will be fine with it.

Instead of just some planted fake guest appearances from the likes of the Champ, they got someone real and entertaining.

It was none other than Brutus (The Barber) Beefcake who was hilarious! In all honesty, I would welcome a weekly appearance from a former Pro Wrestling Superstar. Their anecdotes are actually something I don't mind listening to. I would love to hear The Shockmaster, for example ...

Also, Big Papi Pratt getting hammered for his seemingly contrived over the top criticism of Ovechkin was just too good!!!

Last edited by a moderator:

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Can't say it much more plainly than this. It's a horrible trainwreck of a show, and I don't know how long it can possibly last.

Unfortunately the pool of dumb people that follow sports in this market seems to be much larger than the pool of intelligent people, so it'll probably last quite some time.

Betamax*

Unfortunately the pool of dumb people that follow sports in this market seems to be much larger than the pool of intelligent people, so it'll probably last quite some time.

The Morning and afternoon "drive" shows have always had that element of being more "entertainment driven" as to achieve higher ratings, they have to reach a broader audience ... the "casual" sports fan and not just the true fanatic that wants it completely sports driven. That's why even the more "serious" broadcasters such as The Moj has a daily "Birthday" segment and Sekeres gives his producer a Friday "Entertainment" segment. In the evenings, it sort of a different audience, as witnessed by Rintoul's new timeslot where it's pretty much sports focused without the off-beat banter they had during the morning show he hosted with the comedic interludes with Debron and his other co-hosts.

LolClarkson*

Funny how last night, the first 2 callers into the post game show tore a strip off of Jason Botchford for asking that question to Torts. And Blake Price stood up for Botch saying that its his job to poke the bear.

It was somewhat unprofessional but I don't care. It was entertaining. That's all that matters.

Betamax*

Funny how last night, the first 2 callers into the post game show tore a strip off of Jason Botchford for asking that question to Torts. And Blake Price stood up for Botch saying that its his job to poke the bear.

It was somewhat unprofessional but I don't care. It was entertaining. That's all that matters.

As seen on these boards and pretty much with every team, a certain segment of the fan base will always be inclined to stick up for the Coach. To me these, as you stated, those are more red herring issues and part of the side show that you get with someone of Tort's persona.

Botchford probably wouldn't have asked the question if he had a good idea the Torts wouldn't bite. But the Torts did.

LuongosTirePump

Mar 4, 2011
Canada
I was driving home last night listening to the 1040 post-game show, and randomly decided to check out what 980 was playing (since their sports shows were supposed to be over). They apparently have a weekend show from 10-12 now? I'm surprised since I thought they were done with sports entirely. The show was absolute garbage and I switched it off pretty quick (Brooke Ward is the worst thing to ever happen to radio). Nonetheless I thought it was interesting especially after the station's statement of moving away from sports talk.

Betamax*

I was driving home last night listening to the 1040 post-game show, and randomly decided to check out what 980 was playing (since their sports shows were supposed to be over). They apparently have a weekend show from 10-12 now? I'm surprised since I thought they were done with sports entirely. The show was absolute garbage and I switched it off pretty quick (Brooke Ward is the worst thing to ever happen to radio). Nonetheless I thought it was interesting especially after the station's statement of moving away from sports talk.

So, I take it you're not gonna tell a friend or gobble up a phone line as it relates to that show?

Anyway, with the Canucks game this Sunday evening ... there will be three post-game type shows, the two hour one that follows the end of the game on TEAM radio, and the other two which will probably devote a large part of their programming on the game: the Brook Ward show on NW98 from 10PM-12AM, and let's not forget Dan Russell show on CISL 650 from 9PM-12AM.

LolClarkson*

So, I take it you're not gonna tell a friend or gobble up a phone line as it relates to that show?

Anyway, with the Canucks game this Sunday evening ... there will be three post-game type shows, the two hour one that follows the end of the game on TEAM radio, and the other two which will probably devote a large part of their programming on the game: the Brook Ward show on NW98 from 10PM-12AM, and let's not forget Dan Russell show on CISL 650 from 9PM-12AM.

Right on.

So many options in this market...

Alflives*

Yeah ... I'm now more Lol'ing at the negativity from those who don't like it much more than the "low bro" humor that's been introduced to the morning show.

We need to start a poll: How long will Bro Jake last on the Team 1040?

1 month
2 months
6 months
He's not going anywhere

I say he's gone before this Christmas. Although, I don't listen to the Team 1040 during his show's time, so perhaps it's not fair for me to make such comments.

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
Just a fyi, everybody thought that jimmy fallon would get fired from his gig, he was AWFUL early on.

And now he might be the best behind letterman.

carolinacanuck

Apr 5, 2007
The Carolinas
On a somewhat related note, I'd like to know who decided it would be a good idea to have morning shows filled with talk on the radio? Have there been studies done on this that say people prefer talk?

Seriously, when I roll out of bed and I wanna get my day started, I listen to music. Music sets the tone. I don't wanna hear two people jibber-jabbering about random stuff. It's annoying.

Nothing worse than driving somewhere first thing in the morning and scrolling the dial trying to avoid the talkers. Siriux XM is sounding more and more like a good idea for me. Talk puts me in a bad freaken mood most of the time.

The best, and I mean best radio station I've ever listened to is one in Tennessee. It has no DJ's! They play the song, then a computerized voice tells what song it was. This goes on all day. Each hour they have a block of about 5-7 minutes that is pure commercials, but after that, it's solid music with no talk. It's like watching the Masters golf with limited commercial interruptions. Yesssss.

Betamax*

On a somewhat related note, I'd like to know who decided it would be a good idea to have morning shows filled with talk on the radio? Have there been studies done on this that say people prefer talk?

Seriously, when I roll out of bed and I wanna get my day started, I listen to music. Music sets the tone. I don't wanna hear two people jibber-jabbering about random stuff. It's annoying.

Nothing worse than driving somewhere first thing in the morning and scrolling the dial trying to avoid the talkers. Siriux XM is sounding more and more like a good idea for me. Talk puts me in a bad freaken mood most of the time.

The best, and I mean best radio station I've ever listened to is one in Tennessee. It has no DJ's! They play the song, then a computerized voice tells what song it was. This goes on all day. Each hour they have a block of about 5-7 minutes that is pure commercials, but after that, it's solid music with no talk. It's like watching the Masters golf with limited commercial interruptions. Yesssss.

Radio changes formats largely due to the ratings. The TEAM 1040 previously during its history has had a music format but finally has stuck with a format (sports radio) that has lasted well over a decade. It's worked because it attracts a key demo audience, M25-55 aka Male 25-55 ... which is hard to reach. Bro Jake was brought in because they are projecting that he will increase their ratings in that demo group during the "morning drive" hours over their more sports-orientated morning show that they had with Rintoul et al..

carolinacanuck

Apr 5, 2007
The Carolinas
Radio changes formats largely due to the ratings. The TEAM 1040 previously during its history has had a music format but finally has stuck with a format (sports radio) that has lasted well over a decade. It's worked because it attracts a key demo audience, M25-55 aka Male 25-55 ... which is hard to reach. Bro Jake was brought in because they are projecting that he will increase their ratings in that demo group during the "morning drive" hours over their more sports-orientated morning show that they had with Rintoul et al..

I guess I'm not just questioning the TEAM programming, I'm questioning morning talk show hosts in general across the whole spectrum. Every radio station seems to have a morning crew of talkers. No thanks, I'll stick to music.

Alflives*

Whomever is responsible for the "projections" you mentioned should get fired. The previous version of the morning show was fine with Scotty. Even though Chapman was an irritant, at least he was a sports guy.

Free Edler

Enjoy retirement, boys.
Feb 27, 2002
Surrey, BC
Just a fyi, everybody thought that jimmy fallon would get fired from his gig, he was AWFUL early on.

And now he might be the best behind letterman.
Jimmy Fallon is still just as powerfully unfunny as he was three years ago. He hasn't improved, his competitors have gotten worse.

LolClarkson*

I cant stand music in the morning honestly.

I have a riot texting the tsn Edmonton morning show on the way to work.

Betamax*

Whomever is responsible for the "projections" you mentioned should get fired. The previous version of the morning show was fine with Scotty. Even though Chapman was an irritant, at least he was a sports guy.

Not really. The ratings on the changes made will be the final arbiter. It's pretty clear that TEAM Radio felt that a change would increase their market share/ratings in that time slot by going with a known quantity (albeit out of the box from a conventional sports talk show host like what MNF tried to do when they hired a comedian to be the colour guy, until they determined it didn't work for them) ... Time will tell whether the Bro Jake hire was a successful one for them or not and objective ratings numbers and sponsors/ad revenues over the salary paid to him and Pratt will determine whether they continue with this format -- or not.

When the next Ratings come out with respect to Bro Jake's Morning Show on the TEAM 1040, I would say they would be pumping their own tires if they do well. If the ratings are flat or do worse, I think we'll hear crickets on that issue from them, you know?

Last edited by a moderator:

Sinochick

Sep 10, 2010
Vancouver, BC

I think "talk radio" works in the mornings because people when they wake up need to know the weather (so they know how to dress to work), and news that they missed while they were asleep.

I really really miss Scotty and Company in the mornings. I am female so not really in Bro Jake/Pratt's target audience. I'm a serious sports fan too (not a casual fan) so it was really hard listening to the new Bro Jake show in their first week. I finally switched over to top 40 radio to wake me up in the mornings because I just can't stomach Bro Jake or Dave Pratt (I've never liked Pratt - he's a sexist pig). I get my hockey fix by listening to podcasts like Backhand Shelf, Marek V. Wyshynshi, Hockey Central @ Noon etc. Since I'm at work I can't listen to Ray Ferraro's segment on B-Mac and Taylor at 4PM so I listen to his segment on podcast in the evenings.

I like Scott Rintoul but 9-12pm is a bad time as I'd rather watch tv than listen to the radio.

Alflives*

I think "talk radio" works in the mornings because people when they wake up need to know the weather (so they know how to dress to work), and news that they missed while they were asleep.

I really really miss Scotty and Company in the mornings. I am female so not really in Bro Jake/Pratt's target audience. I'm a serious sports fan too (not a casual fan) so it was really hard listening to the new Bro Jake show in their first week. I finally switched over to top 40 radio to wake me up in the mornings because I just can't stomach Bro Jake or Dave Pratt (I've never liked Pratt - he's a sexist pig). I get my hockey fix by listening to podcasts like Backhand Shelf, Marek V. Wyshynshi, Hockey Central @ Noon etc. Since I'm at work I can't listen to Ray Ferraro's segment on B-Mac and Taylor at 4PM so I listen to his segment on podcast in the evenings.

I like Scott Rintoul but 9-12pm is a bad time as I'd rather watch tv than listen to the radio.

You echo (exactly) what my wife says. Hopefully, the Team 1040 will change back to Scotty in the morning. The best morning show they had was, when Ray Ferraro and Scotty were on together. I think that only lasted about six months, but it was great.

BeardyCanuck03

@BeardyCanuck03
Jun 19, 2006
twitter.com
You echo (exactly) what my wife says. Hopefully, the Team 1040 will change back to Scotty in the morning. The best morning show they had was, when Ray Ferraro and Scotty were on together. I think that only lasted about six months, but it was great.

Agreed. Oh please, please have the ratings go down in the morning, if they are the same or go up it'll be a nightmare.

Betamax*

Those that have tuned out on the Bro Jake Show with David Pratt. I suggest you give it another chance before you finally check out. They've actually have implemented a structure to the show, so it's formulaic as the other shows with regular segments such as Canucks' Breakfest and Pratt's Rant and guests to offer the sports elements to the show.

Yesterday, they had Aaron Ward (NHL) and Mitch Berger (NFL) ... which are two ex-players that are actually articulated and interesting to listen to.

Today's show they had among other guest, James Mirtle, (Globe & Mail Hockey Writer who covers the Leafs but is one of the more cerebral sports reporters if you read his articles), Bobby MacKenzie and GMMG.

There's still show fodder that I do without ... like those contest segments where they have callers give their anecdotes to win tickets to concerts or sportings events (I don't really care about listening to the lives of the listeners and callers to the show to be honest) ... less of that is better for the show and when they stretch it out over several minutes that is tune out time for me.

BeardyCanuck03

@BeardyCanuck03
Jun 19, 2006
twitter.com
Those that have tuned out on the Bro Jake Show with David Pratt. I suggest you give it another chance before you finally check out. They've actually have implemented a structure to the show, so it's formulaic as the other shows with regular segments such as Canucks' Breakfest and Pratt's Rant and guests to offer the sports elements to the show.

Yesterday, they had Aaron Ward (NHL) and Mitch Berger (NFL) ... which are two ex-players that are actually articulated and interesting to listen to.

Today's show they had among other guest, James Mirtle, (Globe & Mail Hockey Writer who covers the Leafs but is one of the more cerebral sports reporters if you read his articles), Bobby MacKenzie and GMMG.

There's still show fodder that I do without ... like those contest segments where they have callers give their anecdotes to win tickets to concerts or sportings events (I don't really care about listening to the lives of the listeners and callers to the show to be honest) ... less of that is better for the show and when they stretch it out over several minutes that is tune out time for me.

Who is asking the questions, cause if it's still Bro Jay than I have a hard time thinking I'll get much information that makes listening worth it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad