Team 1040 vs CKNW 980 ( Dan Russell, Tyler Green, Joe Leary, Paul Debron Fired)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Betamax*

He was talking about Breaking Bad for the whole show. I love BB, but I don't tune into a sports show for that.

What is the bigger event ... the finale of Breaking Bad or the return of Dan Russell's Sports Talk, tonight, Sunday @ 9PM:

https://twitter.com/AM650/status/384339782131662849

Dan Russell ‏@DanRussellST

When we re-launch tomorrow night on @AM650 you will hear a number of Sportstalk announcements. Plus a surprise first guest. 9pm precisely!

9:36 PM - 28 Sep 13

:laugh:

Betamax*

I'm shocked that there hasn't any discussion of the return of Dan Russell to the airwaves! :shakehead

While a waiver fodder pick up generates multi-pages!

Anyway, he returned last night and I heard most of the first couple of hours. He also launched his official website with links to his previous shows:

http://danrussellsportstalk.ca/

Among the guests were Brian Burke, Tom Larscheid, and John McKeachie.

carolinacanuck

Apr 5, 2007
The Carolinas
I'm shocked that there hasn't any discussion of the return of Dan Russell to the airwaves! :shakehead

Anyway, he returned last night and I heard most of the first couple of hours. He also launched his official website with links to his previous shows:

Dan Russell is dead to me. A move down the dial doesn't change that.

Feb 28, 2002
Abbotsford, BC
Visit site

Russel is a fool and he likes to hear himself talk. His show should be dead IMO...

Betamax*

So much negativity here! Is there any local sports talk personality that is almost universally "liked" by this hfboards' user base? My guess is that Rick Ball would probably be at the top of the list.

Free Edler

Enjoy retirement, boys.
Feb 27, 2002
Surrey, BC
Russell is pretty well universally disliked here because his show is purely for out-of-town fans. Any Canucks fan listening to his show hoping to find impartial commentary will be solely disappointed. Blind cheerleaders aren't fun to listen to but people who are reflexively negative about the team aren't worth listening to either.

Betamax*

Russell is pretty well universally disliked here because his show is purely for out-of-town fans. Any Canucks fan listening to his show hoping to find impartial commentary will be solely disappointed. Blind cheerleaders aren't fun to listen to but people who are reflexively negative about the team aren't worth listening to either.

Not really sure if any sports commentator can really be "impartial." They are paid to have an opinion. Whether it be more slanted towards being positive (most of TEAM radio personalities) or negative (in the case of Dan Russell). Either way the armchair critics will blast on them for being either too positive or negative. The TEAM personalities get a bad rap for being "House Radio" fodder since they hold the rights to the Canucks and they do have a symbiotic relationship because of that ... Russell, has to by default have to play the Devil's Advocate role and take on a more negative tone to be relevant in this market.

Free Edler

Enjoy retirement, boys.
Feb 27, 2002
Surrey, BC
There's a difference between playing the Devil's Advocate and being reflexively negative about every game, trade, personnel move, etc the Canucks make. Russell's show is not a show for Canuck fans. Period. Full stop. He's there to cover out-of-town teams.

Unfortunately for him, the majority of the people who live in the Lower Mainland are Canucks fans, so to most radio program directors, he's a man without a market. The listener base who will follow him to whatever station he's on now are old and shrinking.

But just for kicks, do tell, how do you market someone like Dan Russell, who has been a fixture in Vancouver radio for 30 years but was not-so-gently shoved out the door at CKNW to make room for the second banana on Urban Rush? It's a pretty hard sell.

carolinacanuck

Apr 5, 2007
The Carolinas
Not really sure if any sports commentator can really be "impartial." They are paid to have an opinion. Whether it be more slanted towards being positive (most of TEAM radio personalities) or negative (in the case of Dan Russell). Either way the armchair critics will blast on them for being either too positive or negative. The TEAM personalities get a bad rap for being "House Radio" fodder since they hold the rights to the Canucks and they do have a symbiotic relationship because of that ... Russell, has to by default have to play the Devil's Advocate role and take on a more negative tone to be relevant in this market.

Unfortunately, I don't think this was the correct approach for him. He went waayyyyyyyy too far in the other direction too fast. It was a shock to the system for a lot of his loyal listeners.

The few times I tuned in, he sounded spiteful, contrived and just a big ball of negativity. Not my cup of tea.

I might have remained a loyal listener had he stuck to guns and not tried to pretend to be something he's not. But those days are long gone. He lost me. All good things come to an end.

BeardyCanuck03

@BeardyCanuck03
Jun 19, 2006
twitter.com
I haven't listened to the morning show in over a week, I've been replacing it with podcasts. Jay and Dan, Marek vs Wyshynski, Steve Dangle, among others.

LolClarkson*

There's a difference between playing the Devil's Advocate and being reflexively negative about every game, trade, personnel move, etc the Canucks make. Russell's show is not a show for Canuck fans. Period. Full stop. He's there to cover out-of-town teams.

Unfortunately for him, the majority of the people who live in the Lower Mainland are Canucks fans, so to most radio program directors, he's a man without a market. The listener base who will follow him to whatever station he's on now are old and shrinking.

But just for kicks, do tell, how do you market someone like Dan Russell, who has been a fixture in Vancouver radio for 30 years but was not-so-gently shoved out the door at CKNW to make room for the second banana on Urban Rush? It's a pretty hard sell.

There is a growing number of fans who want Mike Gillis fired. Russel will have that growing market

Feb 28, 2002
Abbotsford, BC
Visit site
I like to have him as an option.

The more there is to choose from , the better.

There are choices, but when all it is becomes a soap box for his sole opinion I'm done with that.

People dislike Sekeras but he and price usually admit when they are wrong, acknowledge the listeners when they make great points and they are not there to toot their own horns. They are there to listen to the people.

If not for Sekeras and Price I'd stop listening to the team 100%.

It's why I can't stand Pratt. He's a blow hard who says I don't know how many times, "I guarantee..." and then it never comes true, because he doesn't know what he's talking about.

People rag on Moj, but he is also a great evening guy and he is great to listen to especially regarding football.

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
I like to have him as an option.

The more there is to choose from , the better.

So he'll be going head-to-head with Scotty Rintool... I like Scotty's chances.

That night slot is perfect for Scotty. He's thriving by himself... Just blisters through the topics giving a smart take on each...
Didn't like him in a team morning show setting, but have enjoyed him at night. That was a great move.

EDIT: re-upped with SirusXM today. They have a promo in case anyone is interested - $75 for the Year. Promo Code "SAVE75A"
Howard in the morning, Sekeras for Canuck Lunch, Howard for the drive home...

LolClarkson*

There are choices, but when all it is becomes a soap box for his sole opinion I'm done with that.

People dislike Sekeras but he and price usually admit when they are wrong, acknowledge the listeners when they make great points and they are not there to toot their own horns. They are there to listen to the people.

If not for Sekeras and Price I'd stop listening to the team 100%.

It's why I can't stand Pratt. He's a blow hard who says I don't know how many times, "I guarantee..." and then it never comes true, because he doesn't know what he's talking about.

People rag on Moj, but he is also a great evening guy and he is great to listen to especially regarding football.
That's why I don't like Moj. I don't want to talk football

jojoh07*

stop the russel hate

he is better then any of the 1040 personels

bro jake ???

1040 is dead to me

jojoh07*

So he'll be going head-to-head with Scotty Rintool... I like Scotty's chances.

That night slot is perfect for Scotty. He's thriving by himself... Just blisters through the topics giving a smart take on each...
Didn't like him in a team morning show setting, but have enjoyed him at night. That was a great move.

EDIT: re-upped with SirusXM today. They have a promo in case anyone is interested - $75 for the Year. Promo Code "SAVE75A"
Howard in the morning, Sekeras for Canuck Lunch, Howard for the drive home...

is this a joke???

Rintool is worse then nails on chalkboard

Battle Hymns

Sep 6, 2013
thank god sportstalk is back. with their current format, the TEAM is only listenaable during 10-2pm. The rest is total garbage.

Thanks for sportstalk and 1410.

Betamax*

I haven't listened to the morning show in over a week, I've been replacing it with podcasts. Jay and Dan, Marek vs Wyshynski, Steve Dangle, among others.

I think the TEAM 1040 Morning Show got the memo that they need to focus more on sports. As over the course of the past few weeks they are at least making an effort to make it the primary focus of the show.

As for Jay and Dan Podcasts ... they use to air it on the weekends on the TEAM, with the Cabbie Podcats, and that was just horrible programming, IMO. With Jay and Dan, two guys *trying* to be funny but not really and contrived salty language. With Cabbie, it similar to Bro Jake in how he was pally wally with his guests which isn't the interview style I'm too fond of.

Betamax*

Dan, is that you?

Russel sucks and is the biggest egoist ever on the vancouver airwaves

Russell has quite a lot of loyal listeners built over the course of about three decades of programming ... for proof just look at his twitter account, the tire pumping is operating at 110 percent:

https://twitter.com/DanRussellST

he literally retweets every positive tweet and kudos he receives from his loyal fans!

Last edited by a moderator:

Hardyvan123

tweet@HardyintheWack
Jul 4, 2010
Vancouver

I'm not a huge Dan fan, most guys just get stale after a while, but it's funny that the Team took over the stale Bro for one of their flagship slots.

At least Dan knows his sports compared to Bro.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad