Team 1040 vs CKNW 980 ( Dan Russell, Tyler Green, Joe Leary, Paul Debron Fired)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alan Jackson

Nov 3, 2005
Langley, BC
I'm not a fan of Bro Jake, and his lack of a sports background is glaringly obvious. You can tell he's asking questions of his sports guests based on Wikipedia research he did the night before.

But the problem is exacerbated by the fact that Pratt, while still more of a "sports guy", is also a know-nothing blowhard. The two don't compliment each other at all, and we're gaining absolutely nothing in the way of local sports coverage.

I mean, it's Canucks preseason right now, with some open competition for spots. Don't you think there could be some discussion/analysis on who should make it and why? But these two can't offer any insight or informed opinion about that kind of thing.

The show is a trainwreck, and I don't think it can last long. We'll see.

Jack Tripper

Vey Falls Down
Dec 15, 2009
Perth, WA
alot of the problems with team 1040 are exacerbated during the summer when alot of the hosts have very little knowledge of sports outside of the nhl...it'll be a bit easier to fill time in october when you can have non-stop canucks coverage every day until the spring

that said the morning show is still in trouble if they can't make semi-coherent points about the canucks in the preseason, especially when there is no lack of good storylines (ie tortorella's new system, performance of recent 1st round picks, extreme lack of depth in utica, goaltending issues, nhl discipline, ect)

Betamax*

alot of the problems with team 1040 are exacerbated during the summer when alot of the hosts have very little knowledge of sports outside of the nhl...it'll be a bit easier to fill time in october when you can have non-stop canucks coverage every day until the spring

that said the morning show is still in trouble if they can't make semi-coherent points about the canucks in the preseason, especially when there is no lack of good storylines (ie tortorella's new system, performance of recent 1st round picks, extreme lack of depth in utica, goaltending issues, nhl discipline, ect)

I disagree. i think it will only be in trouble if the style change of introducing "Low Bro" humor into the show ticks off enough of their regular listeners that they don't see an upswing in their ratings. The bottom line is that its the only avenue where a Canucks/hockey fan can get any significant radio coverage in the mornings, in lieu of the short sports broadcasts on News 1130 and NW.

They really don't need the Bro or Pratt to go into the minutia of hockey analysis as long as they have sufficient competent guests to provide the content. They'll regularly have Bob McKenzie, the Puck Daddy, Darren Pang and GMMG as regular guests so there will be enough hockey content that sports fan will still tune in. The other aspects of the show, the comedy vignettes that the Bro has introduced has been done to reach a broader, more casual sports fan base and some of his audience from his rock DJ days. Whether it works or not remains to be seen. I'm not especially a fan of those segments but I tend to leave the radio on TEAM radio as background noise even when certain segments aren't my cup of java.

LolClarkson*

I dont know why there is so much hate for big fat David Pratt. This guy is a geenyus

he's enjoying a comeback. Before he left 1040 the first time, you would be flamed out if you said on here that you liked him

LolClarkson*

Best pre-pre-game show by far is Jeff Patterson and Tony Gallagher.

JA

Ironically enough, Bro Jake has one of the best voices for hockey-related promotional material. His delivery of the current Vancouver Giants promo is superb, and everything he says in it is with conviction. He clearly has an excellent voice for radio, but he has no place on a sports station.

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
I've tried and tried...
My Sirius cut off Sept 4th, and i've tried since. Can't do it no more.
SiriusXM is back as of today... Welcome back Howard.

thom

Mar 6, 2012
Please tell me why its okay for a talk show host to call Tim Thomas crazy in the head and there is no outrage.The pc crowd must be so proud of them selves.Over all I guess the show is entertaining but so many factual errors about sports history

BeardyCanuck03

@BeardyCanuck03
Jun 19, 2006
twitter.com
he's enjoying a comeback. Before he left 1040 the first time, you would be flamed out if you said on here that you liked him

Before he left, his political opinions and ego got bigger than the show and station. There were too many segments put towards his political agenda (Bike Lanes anyone) as opposed to you know... Sports...

Betamax*

Before he left, his political opinions and ego got bigger than the show and station. There were too many segments put towards his political agenda (Bike Lanes anyone) as opposed to you know... Sports...

I'd take that version of Pratt going solo in the Mornings over what we have now with him playing the role of Robin .....

Betamax*

I'd rather have Botchford and Chapman.

If they were going to slot Pratt in the morning, I'd pair him up with Chapman so you have a generational diversity and not two peas from the same era as we now have with Jake and Pratt who are also cut from a similar, over the top, personas to their broadcasting style.

Bubbles

Die Hard for Bedard 2023
Apr 16, 2004
BC Teams:Nucks,Juve
The show is terrible. I wake up to as an alarm only, and since he's been on they've maybe talked sports for a minute in the first half hour. Than Bro Jake just pulls his songs out, fills some air time and talk about Justin Bieber. It's no longer a sports show.

Betamax*

The show is terrible. I wake up to as an alarm only, and since he's been on they've maybe talked sports for a minute in the first half hour. Than Bro Jake just pulls his songs out, fills some air time and talk about Justin Bieber. It's no longer a sports show.

I think there may be one poster here that has publicly stated that he liked the format of the new Morning Show. It's not surprising since the demo of the users/readers here are largely sports and hockey-centric orientated.

ShouldveDraftedFiala

Feb 20, 2007
I think it's just a waste of couple Pratt with him. Get him back on the afternoon show... time to demote Barry "my schtick is interupting and talking over everyone" MacDonald

Betamax*

I think it's just a waste of couple Pratt with him. Get him back on the afternoon show... time to demote Barry "my schtick is interupting and talking over everyone" MacDonald

I'd be okay with moving Pratt back in the afternoon. I stated this several times but I think that's the long-term plan to move Pratt back to his afternoon gig. But first, establish the Bro Jake brand in the mornings by pairing up with their highest profile talk show host, with David Pratt then within the next year do a switch and put someone else (younger) with Bro Jake (if he lasts a year as a "sports" talk show host).

go_leafs_go02

Apr 24, 2004
London, ON
It's now pretty much called the "Bro Show". Still, not a fan, but usually the half hour I spend driving to work in the morning is from 8 - 8:30 AM, and usually it's the 3 star selection and some media member calling it, so that's all I hear.

Still enjoyed Scotty & Company far better.

Dempsey

Mark it zero
Mar 1, 2002
Ladner, BC
During the morning show I listen only from 7:30 to 8:00 on my commute to work, and I'm getting the idea that Bro Jake is a big NFL fan and can only really talk about NFL quarterbacks and standings.

Love BMac and Taylor in the afternoon though. They are always having fun and are really casual, seem to have great chemistry.

Jobu

Nov 17, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
This show is horrible. The day after te Canucks game and all they are taking about is scrotums. I'm surprised Bro Jake has lasted this long - Pratt is fine but I'm tuning out until they send Jake packing. They can't be this clueless can they?

Betamax*

In today's Greg Douglas' Vancouver Sun column, he confirms that TEAM 1040/1410 will be shortly re-branded as TSN Radio.

In other news, Dan Russell's Sportstalk, resumes tomorrow, Sunday, Sept. 29th ... 9PM-12AM.

youtube interview featuring Russell as interviewed by Sterling Faux:

Article via BC Business on the recent Sports Radio landscape changes that covers the moves of Bro Jake and Russell to their new destinations:

http://www.bcbusiness.ca/marketing-media/inside-the-shakeups-on-rock-101-and-cknw

An excerpt from the article:

The Vancouver dial has been spinning after Corus Entertainment declined to renew the contracts of two of its veteran radio personalities. Bro Jake Edwards’s morning show at Classic Rock 101 and Dan Russell’s Sportstalk on CKNW are off the air, but both men have quickly resurfaced at other outlets.

All-sports TEAM1040 jumped at the chance to pair Bro Jake with veteran David Pratt for a more entertainment-oriented morning show. “Bro Jake is a huge personality in this market who has always had a great following in the male demographic,†says TEAM program director Mike Whittingham. “Jake is a much bigger sports fan than people give him credit for.â€

My response to the last comment: being a "big sports fan" is one thing but having the knowledge to discuss it intelligently for a four hour show beyond a superficial "fan" level is an entirely different movie. I'm not as critical as others here when it comes to Bro Jake because it seems like he making a sincere effort to be more sports orientated in the direction of the show (especially compared to the opening week) but, IMO, that still needs to be elevated by quite a bit.

Samzilla

Prust & Dorsett are
Apr 2, 2011
god, bro jake is so frustrating. i want to hear sports in the morning, not this bs. there's great canucks storylines going on, but instead all i hear him talk about is ****ing concerts he went to back in the 70's.

Betamax*

god, bro jake is so frustrating. i want to hear sports in the morning, not this bs. there's great canucks storylines going on, but instead all i hear him talk about is ****ing concerts he went to back in the 70's.

I hear ya ... the more I read this thread ... the more I'm getting annoyed with the show and I was coming into it with a pretty opened mind. :laugh:

If we are going to talk about pet peaves ... the one I have right now is how they drag their fan "contest" into a complete segment. Right now it's for Bon Jovi Concert tickets. So they've been soliciting callers to tell them their sob, doghouse stories on how they've upset their wives/girlfriends and how getting the tickets will make things right.

WTF?

To be honest, I don't want to listen about the personal lives of the callers ... if they have an opinion on sports ... okay ... let them on air. Why hasn't the show taking any calls from their listeners on actual sports topics (even though less of that is typically better for the show when you have competent Sports Talk Show hosts like a Jim Rome or Dave Pratt)? Someone explain that one to me.

But to be honest, I'd rather listen to the same takes from Hardy from the Wack, Troy from White Rock, Johnny from the Best Neighbour's and Detroit Brian on a daily basis then those goofy contests segments they've been running!

Uhmkay

Tryamkin = New Chara
Dec 11, 2006
Vancouver
I was one of the supporters of the show when it first came on the air and thought it had the potential to be something really good and entertaining (Which is what I think the Team 1040 management were looking for). I was mistaken, and the show has not really improved at all.

I'm honestly getting tired of the 12 year old humour, talking about stuff they'd done in their past with women, etc... I actually turn the radio off and start listening to something else instead.

The morning show NEEDS to be informative and do its best to break down the events in sports that took place the night before, while it's still somewhat fresh in our minds. They spend more time talking about crap nobody cares about instead of having insightful conversations that can still be fun (IE: Mitch Berger).

We don't care about The Champ, We don't care about crap you did when you were younger and the BS stories you make up about how you screwed up in a relationship and need tickets to Bon Jovi to make amends....

.... alll I give a **** about is knowing whats going on in sports... and crack a few jokes with quality guests in the meantime. I don't want to hear ******** from fake guests like 'Shorty Johnson' or whatever his name was. That segment was just painful.

Battle Hymns

Sep 6, 2013
I started listening to the team when it launched like 12 years ago and it is at it's lowest peak right now. Thank god for 1410.

sirlaxalot

Jan 9, 2008
I hear ya ... the more I read this thread ... the more I'm getting annoyed with the show and I was coming into it with a pretty opened mind. :laugh:

If we are going to talk about pet peaves ... the one I have right now is how they drag their fan "contest" into a complete segment. Right now it's for Bon Jovi Concert tickets. So they've been soliciting callers to tell them their sob, doghouse stories on how they've upset their wives/girlfriends and how getting the tickets will make things right.

WTF?

To be honest, I don't want to listen about the personal lives of the callers ... if they have an opinion on sports ... okay ... let them on air. Why hasn't the show taking any calls from their listeners on actual sports topics (even though less of that is typically better for the show when you have competent Sports Talk Show hosts like a Jim Rome or Dave Pratt)? Someone explain that one to me.

But to be honest, I'd rather listen to the same takes from Hardy from the Wack, Troy from White Rock, Johnny from the Best Neighbour's and Detroit Brian on a daily basis then those goofy contests segments they've been running!
The Bon Jovi segment was the last straw for me. i agree with you totally,... well except the Troy from White Rock part.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad