Confirmed Signing with Link: [TBL] Brayden Point re-signs with the Lightning (8 years, $9.5M AAV)

KidLine93

May 15, 2012
Tampa was going to have to move 2 of the approximate $5M forwards. Seattle must have been asking for too much in a side deal to counter projected return on a trade of Gourde, Killorn, or Palat - they were going to have to move one of them anyway (in addition to Johnson) and I suppose might still move Killorn or Palat at some point. And by Seattle taking Gourde, the full NTC did not need to be worked around. It sucks to lose any of these guys that were developed by Tampa and these being players that didn't want to go anywhere.
I think tampa played it right. Just take it off the chin and lose one of them to seattle dont give up extra assets.. You had too many good players and a big cap crunch to not lose 1 at minimum anyways. They are set up for another cup run and it looks like they will find a way to get back under the cap for 1 more year at least.

noticed you edited your post to talk about point's contract. He's still young and his playoff resume makes him worth that AAV at minumum. WHo knows whats gonna happen 5 years from now, but for the next (4 or 5?) years Kuch, Hedman, Point, Vasy are locked in at reasonable prices .

zar

Bleed Blue
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2010
Edmonton AB
If you are going to go down this path then you have to include cot of living, i.e. real estate, price of a gallon milk, commute time, etc. OK mostly real estate.

Blah, blah, blah... that means very little compared to income tax rates, but you can go ahead and do the math if you want to... real estate in Canada is not cheap.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Wow, that's a lot of money and term. Can't say he doesn't deserve it, though. The guy is nails. What's Tampa's cap look like now?

We're pretty much out of the ditch now. We lost our 3rd line + Tyler Johnson. It's a set-back, but we're still a major contender.

JustAnotherHockeyFan

Jul 28, 2021
If I was Seattle I'd have taken Colton over any of them and then offered to take Gourde and Johnson combined for free or a warm body plucked from Columbus. Colton has the brightest road ahead of him imo.

KidLine93

May 15, 2012
You're being overly charitable. There were a couple posters, Merss being one of the primaries, that would tell anyone that would listen in TJ-related threads that we were going to have to pay 2 1sts to move his contract. It certainly wasn't everyone on the trade board, but there were a couple that were really invested in seeing us suffer--one even liked to call some of our posters "Polly Anna" if we thought we were going to move Johnson for less than two 1sts.
Im just glad you guys traded for Seabrook cuz based on the the last 48 hours Ken Holland was probably trying to get him, declare he's not injured, and get him to play with Keith and get the band back together.

Reactions: 2020 Cup Champions

Five Alarm Fire

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 17, 2009
Point nets out $5,258,935 in Tampa with a $9,500,000 AAV

For him to net out the same income in the Canadian markets:
Vancouver - $11, 500,000
Calgary - $11,000,000
Edmonton - $11,000,000
Winnipeg - $11,700,000
Ottawa - $12,700,000
Toronto - $12,700,000
Montreal - $12,600,000

EDIT: Corrected the numbers above for $9.5m AAV (new contract extension), vs. $9m (this years salary)

Mentioned current likes: @4Twenty @TychoFan

This doesn't even account for signing bonus, probably an even bigger advantage.

DaBolts

Stanley Cup Boat Parades ROCK
Feb 3, 2015
How is Florida a great location for hockey? Anyone who claims TB has "great weather" has obviously never been to Tampa, the heat is unbearable.

The tax thing is just a massive cope from jealous fanboys. TB gets these deals because they've been the model organization in the sport since 2015. You don't see other no state tax teams getting discounts like this... I wonder why?

The heat is bearable, we have invented air conditioning.

However it is against the law in Florida to own one of these if you live below I-4:

5f7496e30ab50d00184ad3f8

TheGreenTBer

shut off the power while I take a big shit
Apr 30, 2021
I have nothing for or against Tampa but it's pretty amazing to see what can happen to a franchise when run properly.

I mean, they were the unwashed asscrack of the league at multiple points in their history. However, once the right owner came along, he hired an excellent front office and scouting staff, trusted them and stayed out of their way, and over time they've grown to become by far the NHL's best-run franchise. If there are any Lightning fans on this board that were following the team all the way back in 1992, you deserve every bit of the success your team is having.

People are going to bitch and moan about financial advantages, and some do exist, but Florida's tax code is not the reason the Lightning are the way they are. The Lightning are the Lightning because from a managerial standpoint they are easily the class of the NHL.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
I think this deal was worked out two years ago, to be honest. This is the TB "core player" deal as of now. Kuch, Vasy, and now Point. Stamkos and Hedman missed out by being a bit older, but this is our ceiling deal, and I think all the players know it.

Reactions: dechire

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
I have nothing for or against Tampa but it's pretty amazing to see what can happen to a franchise when run properly.

I mean, they were the unwashed asscrack of the league at multiple points in their history. However, once the right owner came along, he hired an excellent front office and scouting staff, trusted them and stayed out of their way, and over time they've grown to become by far the NHL's best-run franchise. If there are any Lightning fans on this board that were following the team all the way back in 1992, you deserve every bit of the success your team is having.

People are going to bitch and moan about financial advantages, and some do exist, but Florida's tax code is not the reason the Lightning are the way they are. The Lightning are the Lightning because from a managerial standpoint they are easily the class of the NHL.

I think a lot of it is the developmental staff. The reason we get ourselves into cap trouble is because, over the years, we've found a lot of diamonds in the rough and then polished the s*** out of them. And then we had to pay 4-5m to guys who, on a lot of teams, never would have made it past the AHL.

Reactions: YayHockeysBack

BoltsOfAnarchy

May 12, 2018
Largo

could not agree more...thank you!

and some of us went thru some dark, pathetic years of hockey back in late 90's especially..... it's really been incredible to watch the transformation & Jeff Vinik is the man!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad