Confirmed Signing with Link: [TBL] Brayden Point re-signs with the Lightning (8 years, $9.5M AAV)

Danrs112

Oct 19, 2017
How is Florida a great location for hockey? Anyone who claims TB has "great weather" has obviously never been to Tampa, the heat is unbearable.

Yes the weather sucks for about 6 months a year. Sunny 95 degrees and humid though is still a lot more fun than shoveling snow/ice off your car at 6am in ZERO degrees cloudy/dreary weather.

Plus the other 6 months of the year it's 70s-80s and no humidity which is perfect.

Reactions: CupsOverCash

BamBam1031

Aug 8, 2008
Wow, that's a lot of money and term. Can't say he doesn't deserve it, though. The guy is nails. What's Tampa's cap look like now?

TheWayToRefJose

Oct 30, 2017
Yes the weather sucks for about 6 months a year. Sunny 95 degrees and humid though is still a lot more fun than shoveling snow/ice off your car at 6am in ZERO degrees cloudy/dreary weather.

Plus the other 6 months of the year it's 70s-80s and no humidity which is perfect.
Lived in Florida. Lived In Colorado. I’ll take snow over humidity 10/10.

EastVillageBlues

Feb 18, 2019
Congrats.

One of the premiere players in the league, by my counts. 9.5 is actually not much of a price to pay.

Danrs112

Oct 19, 2017
Lived in Florida. Lived In Colorado. I’ll take snow over humidity 10/10.

Colorado is different it's at least Sunny there. Grew up in Michigan and that whole great lakes area is like Seattle if it was zero degrees. Sometimes snow, sometimes just mush but always cloudy and dreary.

CarolinaBlueJacket

Mar 3, 2011
North Carolina

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
We're still doing the whole "taxes" thing? Cool.

Taxes are one factor in about 1,000 that determine where a player may want to play and locate. California has a massive state income tax at the top rate and NBA players can't trip over themselves quick enough to play in LA. Somehow they manage to make it work because they have other considerations involved beyond just their tax bill.

Mersss

Jul 12, 2014
Seabrook isn't going to play a game for us and isn't going to count against the cap. What about the 1sts?
Doesn't increase your cap space come Deadline time or during the sunmer tho!

So yah, you're still stuck with a shitty contract, opens ip cap space only at the beginning of the year. Gettinf UFA and stuff is not going to get easier

ThunderRoad

Apr 24, 2006
Tampa
you lost gourde instead. I'm pretty sure that talk was all about getting Seattle to take Johnson over Gourde

Tampa was going to have to move 2 of the approximate $5M forwards. Seattle must have been asking for too much in a side deal to counter projected return on a trade of Gourde, Killorn, or Palat - they were going to have to move one of them anyway (in addition to Johnson) and I suppose might still move Killorn or Palat at some point. And by Seattle taking Gourde, the full NTC did not need to be worked around. It sucks to lose any of these guys that were developed by Tampa and these being players that didn't want to go anywhere.

Glad to have Point locked up, he's vital to the team. These long term deals are always nerve-wracking though. 8 years is a long time in a sports context.

2020 Cup Champions

Formerly Sila v Kucherove
Nov 26, 2013
you lost gourde instead. I'm pretty sure that talk was all about getting Seattle to take Johnson over Gourde
You're being overly charitable. There were a couple posters, Merss being one of the primaries, that would tell anyone that would listen in TJ-related threads that we were going to have to pay 2 1sts to move his contract. It certainly wasn't everyone on the trade board, but there were a couple that were really invested in seeing us suffer--one even liked to call some of our posters "Polly Anna" if we thought we were going to move Johnson for less than two 1sts.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad