Speculation: Taylor Hall - Contract discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Devil X

Call me Nostradamus
Jul 9, 2007
Bergen County
If Hall has any intention on signing early in the season he is going to have to do it on trust of where this team is going NOT where it is now or even a month from now. Even by the end of the season playoffs or no playoffs.

Jack Hughes isn’t going to be the same player in a couple seasons he is now. Hall has to see through struggles and to what the potential of the team is. Winning is obviously a part of that but this was always a bubble team and those expectations need to be in his mind as well.

It’s more then just the first games of the season that’s going to help Hall decide if he stays or not. He can’t let the short term be the determining factor.

Devilsfan118

Sing us a song, you're the Schiano man
Jun 11, 2010
NJ
I still think this deal gets done by the end of November, even if the team continues to struggle out of the gate.

ChicksDigTheTrap

No quick fixes, no cutting corners and no cheating
Sep 16, 2018
Springsteen Country
I find it hard to believe that Lebrun, Dreger, AND Friedman are speculating a deal is close without knowing something. This isn't some third tier blogger here, those are the best in the biz.

“Privately, not much talk between the agent Darren Ferris for Taylor Hall or the Devils and that suggests to me that there is an ongoing process here,” Sportsnet’s Chris Johnston added. “I do think we can’t rule out the possibility of an extension depending on how things turn out.”
The former Hart Trophy winner has recorded three assists in New Jersey’s opening five games so far this season.

Devils to be patient with Taylor Hall after team's slow start - Sportsnet.ca

guitarguyvic

Mar 31, 2010
I really don’t think he’s resigning. Starting to get a nasty feeling that he doesn’t even want to be here this year, considering the state of his (and the team’s) play. I’m not seeing a star player passionate about the crest on his sweater out there.

guitarguyvic

Mar 31, 2010
TBF I’m not seeing a star player period.
Mentioned it in the Hynes thread but I don’t want him resigned at this point. He has two seasons where managed to get 80 and 93 points respectively. Outside of that he’s never had more than 65. He’s injury prone and not quite the superstar that the MVP season made him out to be. Not worth a Panarin like contract.

Reactions: ChicksDigTheTrap

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
Mentioned it in the Hynes thread but I don’t want him resigned at this point. He has two seasons where managed to get 80 and 93 points respectively. Outside of that he’s never had more than 65. He’s injury prone and not quite the superstar that the MVP season made him out to be. Not worth a Panarin like contract.

His value is much greater than the points he scores. The teams he has been on have been awful without him on the ice and passable with him on the ice.

NjDevsRR

Anything Can Happen In Jersey
Apr 24, 2012
Belmar
He has two seasons where managed to get 80 and 93 points respectively. Outside of that he’s never had more than 65.
It’s disingenuous to leave out his 50 pts in 45 games in the lockout year. Obviously not his fault he didn’t hit over 65 that year due to the shortened season. He was on pace for 92 pts if it was a full season.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Yeah you guys are really diving off the Hall bandwagon too damn quick imo...guy hasn't played a game since December, of course he was gonna be eh to start the season. Parise was eh the first twenty games of 2011-12 too coming off of injury.

MaxR11

Mar 28, 2017
Very solid post!

The majority of this board will have the reaction that some already had in response to your post but that’s normal I guess. According to the majority of this fan base, Hall can do no wrong and the coach is the reason for all our downfalls. The same coach that was here when he won the MVP of the league is coaching him differently 2 years later. I’m sure Hynes told Hall that he needed to change his MVP performance and play a more passive game. It’s always in the coaches best interest to have his best player underperform while losing multiple games in a row

Again, I’m on board with your POV and I’m sure there’s a lot of truth to what you’re saying but I also think (or hope) he matured a little and is sick and tired of getting his teeth caved in every single year. If he has any pride, any ambition, any respect for the game... one has to think that winning is the main reason you play the game. If he continues on the same path, he’ll be known as the guy with the most talent, who went #1 overall and managed to be on bottom feeding teams his entire career.

I hope we don’t give him the 8 year, 88M$ deal he’s probably looking for because I see it more as an anchor then anything else. For everyone who’s wondering why Shero hasn’t resigned Hall, I’m certain he’s being tentative for those exact reasons. He’s a very good player, but I doubt he’s captain/leader material and that’s a lot of coin to give to a player who won’t be your go-to-guy.

Thanks, maybe my interjection is unwanted by some but I actually find the NJ board reaction to be a bit more classy the the Oil board. Those who aren't agreeing with me here aren't doing so in a completely classless way like a few would on hf oil.

It makes me a bit ill to see what's happening in NJ. It has the similar bad vibes as what's been happening in Edm. And i for one believe it has a lot to do with buy in, culture and attitude. We've also blamed coach after coach after coach. It boils down to the players and the GM having a certain standard in how his players perform and carry themselves. For too long here we let our young 1st OVA picks (except Connor) have free reign to play irresponsible hockey. I did sincerely believe Hall was a negative influence in Edm and I just hope he isn't in NJ. I saw one game where Hischier and Hall were on a two on one and Hischier tried to get the pass through to Hall and failed. Hall immediately circled to the bench and angrily slammed his stick. You just can't do s*** like that. It would destroy a young player's pysche. I think it was Hischiers rookie year too. This is why i don't want Hall anywhere near our team.

The culture here was rotten... Ference summed it up well in the quote from the article... " They’d come and practice hard and there was a group of guys there that had like, it was too cool to try hard. Derogatory terms for trying too hard in practice. That’s the culture, right. ...... So your voice only goes so far with people that only respect how good your toe drag is and whether or not you’re out partying."

And Klefbom's specific quote... "Taylor has been our best player in recent years, but it’s also hard to tell what he has contributed. He never played his best games against the tougher teams, which we really needed it. However, he was fantastic when we met the little inferior teams". ... spoke volumes. It's something i had seen year in year out here and Klef basically confirmed it.

One way or another i'd like to see Hughes and Hischier etc do well. I hope for you guys Hall does turn it around or that Shero has the smarts to move him far away if you still have some version of the Oilers Hall. Just don't move him to Edm! I recall Shero had to have a serious sit down with Hall after the first season to straighten him out too eh. Is it worth it to have such a high maintenance player? Not at 10 mil i don't think.

As for the toe drag comment by Ference... he was clearly talking about Hall who would try like 3 toeys a game and i literally NEVER ONCE saw him successfully pull it off here. It was like give it up dude, you just do not have those kind of mitts. Even though a toey is basically a standard handle now in today's hockey.

Spoiled Bratt

Jun 29, 2016
No the locker room cancer BS is simply that. Bull****.

It isn’t based in anything factual and there is zero evidence that Hall has been anything but a model citizen here.

Maybe he’s been a model citizen and a choirboy here in NJ... but he hasn’t played like an elite player game in and game out and that’s the problem I have with our so said "superstar" and that’s a fact.

His game is based off speed and you can clearly see when he’s on and off his game. It’s not about skill, it’s more about determination and leading by example.

If you think he’s been a leader in the way he’s played in those 5 games, then I’ll just have to say that we don’t have the same definition of the word.

Call Me Al

Aug 28, 2017
the past two seasons he has played like an elite player. i don’t know what you’re watching. last season he was over a point a game pace before his injury.

he hasn’t played hockey since december, he has 3 points in 5 games and enough chances that he could have 4 or 5 more. he’s the least of this teams worries right now because it’s not like he’s not generating anything. they’ll start going in

Last edited:

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
Thanks, maybe my interjection is unwanted by some but I actually find the NJ board reaction to be a bit more classy the the Oil board. Those who aren't agreeing with me here aren't doing so in a completely classless way like a few would on hf oil.

It makes me a bit ill to see what's happening in NJ. It has the similar bad vibes as what's been happening in Edm. And i for one believe it has a lot to do with buy in, culture and attitude. We've also blamed coach after coach after coach. It boils down to the players and the GM having a certain standard in how his players perform and carry themselves. For too long here we let our young 1st OVA picks (except Connor) have free reign to play irresponsible hockey. I did sincerely believe Hall was a negative influence in Edm and I just hope he isn't in NJ. I saw one game where Hischier and Hall were on a two on one and Hischier tried to get the pass through to Hall and failed. Hall immediately circled to the bench and angrily slammed his stick. You just can't do s*** like that. It would destroy a young player's pysche. I think it was Hischiers rookie year too. This is why i don't want Hall anywhere near our team.

The culture here was rotten... Ference summed it up well in the quote from the article... " They’d come and practice hard and there was a group of guys there that had like, it was too cool to try hard. Derogatory terms for trying too hard in practice. That’s the culture, right. ...... So your voice only goes so far with people that only respect how good your toe drag is and whether or not you’re out partying."

And Klefbom's specific quote... "Taylor has been our best player in recent years, but it’s also hard to tell what he has contributed. He never played his best games against the tougher teams, which we really needed it. However, he was fantastic when we met the little inferior teams". ... spoke volumes. It's something i had seen year in year out here and Klef basically confirmed it.

One way or another i'd like to see Hughes and Hischier etc do well. I hope for you guys Hall does turn it around or that Shero has the smarts to move him far away if you still have some version of the Oilers Hall. Just don't move him to Edm! I recall Shero had to have a serious sit down with Hall after the first season to straighten him out too eh. Is it worth it to have such a high maintenance player? Not at 10 mil i don't think.

As for the toe drag comment by Ference... he was clearly talking about Hall who would try like 3 toeys a game and i literally NEVER ONCE saw him successfully pull it off here. It was like give it up dude, you just do not have those kind of mitts. Even though a toey is basically a standard handle now in today's hockey.

That Taylor Hall was partying a lot in Edmonton is pretty well-known. He was also by far the best player on those teams and the rest of the team apart from the high picks were a bunch of scrubs who were never going anywhere whether or not Hall practiced hard, or didn't do toe drags, or whatever bullshit was put on him. The problem with those teams was everyone else, which ultimately means that the problem with the team was the management. And sure, Ference can complain about Hall because Ference's career was ending and it sucks to see that your career is going to end on a shitty, go-nowhere team where maybe the best players aren't 100% bought in. But it also sucks to show up at practice and see the dogshit players you have to haul to victory every night.

Again, it is just insane to show up here to make these arguments. Taylor Hall won the 2018 Hart Trophy. He dragged a pretty bad team into the playoffs by having a dominant 2nd half of the season. The reward for him playing on shitty teams has been people questioning his desire and ability.

I heard the same stuff out of Edmonton 20 years ago about Jason Arnott. And it wasn't totally wrong, either - Arnott did eventually play his way out of New Jersey with his inconsistency. But he was also a damn fine player and scored a Stanley Cup winning goal before he ended up elsewhere.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
People here are just down on Hall now cause he isn’t signed. I guarantee people would be preaching patience with a guy coming off injury and a lot of time off if he was for sure here long term, look at all the injury rationalizations Cory’s gotten. Or if the rest of the team was doing anything at all.

mtnet

LGD!
Oct 31, 2014
He's a slow starter in general I'd say. Add to that the long hiatus with the knee and the fact that this team looks like more of a shit show than usual, and I've been giving him the benefit of the doubt so far.

There's just so much wrong that one very good player alone can't overcome all that ails the team right now. He's shown flashes of his old self but he's not exactly getting a lot of cohesive help out there.

That said, he'll need to show more than just past performance to hang his hat on with regard to a possible contract extension.

Reactions: My3Sons

MaxR11

Mar 28, 2017
That Taylor Hall was partying a lot in Edmonton is pretty well-known. He was also by far the best player on those teams and the rest of the team apart from the high picks were a bunch of scrubs who were never going anywhere whether or not Hall practiced hard, or didn't do toe drags, or whatever bull**** was put on him. The problem with those teams was everyone else, which ultimately means that the problem with the team was the management. And sure, Ference can complain about Hall because Ference's career was ending and it sucks to see that your career is going to end on a ****ty, go-nowhere team where maybe the best players aren't 100% bought in. But it also sucks to show up at practice and see the dog**** players you have to haul to victory every night.

Again, it is just insane to show up here to make these arguments. Taylor Hall won the 2018 Hart Trophy. He dragged a pretty bad team into the playoffs by having a dominant 2nd half of the season. The reward for him playing on ****ty teams has been people questioning his desire and ability.

I heard the same stuff out of Edmonton 20 years ago about Jason Arnott. And it wasn't totally wrong, either - Arnott did eventually play his way out of New Jersey with his inconsistency. But he was also a damn fine player and scored a Stanley Cup winning goal before he ended up elsewhere.

I mean, i guess i can only take your word for it that Hall has been a lot different in NJ as i don't watch too many of their games. I'm just saying some of the people questioning Hall may not be wrong based on what i saw in Edm.

I think you misunderstood the quotes. Ference was basically saying Hall and his clique were the ones making derogatory remarks at other players who tried hard in practice and that him and his couple of buds only cared about looking flashy and doing toeys and looking "sick" out there rather than doing more things of substance to better improve the team's chances of winning.

The situation between Arnie and Hall are completely different.

I think the biggest issue in Edm with Hall was that he didn't listen to coaches. He wanted free reign to do whatever (whether it be cheating towards offence to pad his stats, playing irresponsible defensive hockey, making horrednous giveaways etc). As our best player and a leader he can't act the way he did. It hurt the team. Our organization basically had enough of his antics and I had known for a fair bit of time before the trade the organization wanted no more part of him which is why NJ seemingly got hall for "cheap". Maybe he's a totally different guy now, i don't know but I guess I'm here to possibly give some insight to maybe back up some of those NJ fans that are starting to question Hall that they might not be out to lunch.

Taylor Hall says he didn't want a "dialogue" with his coaches with Edmonton Oilers

MaxR11

Mar 28, 2017
Maybe he’s been a model citizen and a choirboy here in NJ... but he hasn’t played like an elite player game in and game out and that’s the problem I have with our so said "superstar" and that’s a fact.

His game is based off speed and you can clearly see when he’s on and off his game. It’s not about skill, it’s more about determination and leading by example.

If you think he’s been a leader in the way he’s played in those 5 games, then I’ll just have to say that we don’t have the same definition of the word.

You are correct. When he's good it's more about speed and determination. He goes off track when he starts thinking he's more than what he is and tries to be a dangler or a high high end skilled guy with the puck and his edges. He just doesn't have the mitts and the skillful, agile edges to be that. He can be a tremendous contributor if he sticks with what he's good at. But i still think there's that part of him that wants to look "sick" out there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad