Speculation: Taylor Hall - Contract discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Devils8961

Dec 16, 2017
Essentially this thread is to gather the Hall discussion posts, tweets, articles etc...

Rather than condense it in the Devils season thread - this way we can come to one place to find information related to the former Hart trophy left winger.

i'll start with the post Lebrun just had in the athletic - included the quote below

''...gut feeling is that Hall ends up signing an extension in New Jersey... Devils are a team on the rise. Why would the grass be any greener elsewhere?... certainly not a guarantee though
...Healthy, bounce back season for Hall should compute into John Tavares/Artemi Panarin type money on a new deal given his UFA leverage... around $11 million a year I would think. If not more...''

Devil X

Call me Nostradamus
Jul 9, 2007
Bergen County
He should get what he deserves but he should also be aware of the more he takes the less is around for his supporting cast and he has said time and time again winning is #1.

I’m not saying he signs a stupidly low deal but signing in the 9-10 range would go a long way toward helping this teams cap future then signing for 11-12.

RSeen

Oct 26, 2011
Toronto
If we're paying more than ~$10M we should let him walk. Even that is too rich for my blood.
Tavares and Panarin both got $11 million or more. Why what Hall sign for less? If I'm his agent the Panarin contract is what I am demanding.

Missionhockey

Jul 6, 2003
New Jersey
Visit site
Essentially this thread is to gather the Hall discussion posts, tweets, articles etc...

Rather than condense it in the Devils season thread - this way we can come to one place to find information related to the former Hart trophy left winger.

i'll start with the post Lebrun just had in the athletic - included the quote below

''...gut feeling is that Hall ends up signing an extension in New Jersey... Devils are a team on the rise. Why would the grass be any greener elsewhere?... certainly not a guarantee though
...Healthy, bounce back season for Hall should compute into John Tavares/Artemi Panarin type money on a new deal given his UFA leverage... around $11 million a year I would think. If not more...''
I think every reporter's "gut feeling" is that they stay with the club they're with at the time. Seems to be the safest bet because they obviously talk with that team the most. I don't really put too much stock into that kind of talk anymore.

NJ DevLolz

The Many Saints of Newark
Sep 30, 2017
I think every reporter's "gut feeling" is that they stay with the club they're with at the time. Seems to be the safest bet because they obviously talk with that team the most. I don't really put too much stock into that kind of talk anymore.
Everyone knew Panarin was gone when he refused to negotiate last year

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
$10m on an $81.5M cap is equal to

4.78M on 05-06's $39M cap (less than Brodeur's 5.2M salary that was supposedly undermarket and cut by 24%)
5.39M on 06-07's $44M cap (less than Elias's 6M/year, almost equal to Brodeur's new $5.2M salary)
7.28M on 10-11's $59.4M cap (so only 620K more than Kovalchuk's cap hit)

It sounds like a lot but it just isn't in today's game.

JrFischer54

Apr 4, 2017
I guess I’m in the minority and fine paying hall whatever it takes to keep him. You don’t just let players of hall caliber leave lol. Are we going to get rid of hughes nico etc when they reach ufa at age 28? You can’t always worry about the cap. Great players cost great money that’s just the way it goes.

JrFischer54

Apr 4, 2017
If anyone is setting that market. It’s the RFAs being signed this offseason.

Nico is going to be making $8 million irregardless what Hall does.

I don’t think so. If ball takes a discount I think nico and others follow and take a discount.

Blackjack

Feb 13, 2003
keyjhboardd +bro]ke
Visit site
Tavares did nothing of the sort, and his number has almost no impact on what those guys get.

He didn't? Then why is Brayden Point signing for $6.75 while Marner and Matthews combine for $22.5 million? Yes, I know they bought UFA years. Using Point's contract as a basis, those UFA years cost Toronto about $15mm per year.

If anyone is setting that market. It’s the RFAs being signed this offseason.

Nico is going to be making $8 million irregardless what Hall does.

Problem is that the RFAs are all over the place this year.

Cheddabombs

Status Quo
Mar 13, 2012
Hall will set the market for Nico, Bratt, and Hughes, just like JT set the market for Nylander, Matthews, and Marner.

the pending UFA, Hart trophy winner two seasons ago, will set the market value for three kids, talented kids of course, coming off their ELC's?

the only thing their situations have in common is that Shero's negotiating the contracts.

Reactions: Taylor Hall

Derps

Jul 1, 2018
All I see is how much Hall will sign for (if he signs) lets talk about the length? (this concerns me) do you think he'll take a short term deal ? or will he only go for a long term deal ?

I agree -- length matters a little more to me than AAV.

Overall, I understand why Hall's camp would want what Tavares and Panarin got, but there are noticeable differences. I can't see Hall's body of work over the last 5 years or so warranting a 7-8 year deal for 11+ AAV. He's too often hurt and the body of work outside of one year just isn't *elite*. He's a great player, but all of these things go into what a contract is. If he wants something ridiculous, I'm moving him to a team without those concerns.

Reactions: ChicksDigTheTrap
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad