Speculation: Taylor Hall - Contract discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
I mean, i guess i can only take your word for it that Hall has been a lot different in NJ as i don't watch too many of their games. I'm just saying some of the people questioning Hall may not be wrong based on what i saw in Edm.

I think you misunderstood the quotes. Ference was basically saying Hall and his clique were the ones making derogatory remarks at other players who tried hard in practice and that him and his couple of buds only cared about looking flashy and doing toeys and looking "sick" out there rather than doing more things of substance to better improve the team's chances of winning.

The situation between Arnie and Hall are completely different.

I think the biggest issue in Edm with Hall was that he didn't listen to coaches. He wanted free reign to do whatever (whether it be cheating towards offence to pad his stats, playing irresponsible defensive hockey, making horrednous giveaways etc). As our best player and a leader he can't act the way he did. It hurt the team. Our organization basically had enough of his antics and I had known for a fair bit of time before the trade the organization wanted no more part of him which is why NJ seemingly got hall for "cheap". Maybe he's a totally different guy now, i don't know but I guess I'm here to possibly give some insight to maybe back up some of those NJ fans that are starting to question Hall that they might not be out to lunch.

Taylor Hall says he didn't want a "dialogue" with his coaches with Edmonton Oilers

The biggest issue in Edmonton was it was a poorly run team that couldn’t draft a player outside of the 1st round.

They got rid of Hall is an awful trade and nothing really changed. They have no wingers. The D stinks. A phantom hot start doesn’t change the reality that Edmonton was the worst run team in the league for years and it had nothing to do with Hall.

MaxR11

Mar 28, 2017
The biggest issue in Edmonton was it was a poorly run team that couldn’t draft a player outside of the 1st round.

They got rid of Hall is an awful trade and nothing really changed. They have no wingers. The D stinks. A phantom hot start doesn’t change the reality that Edmonton was the worst run team in the league for years and it had nothing to do with Hall.

You are correct. We were a horrendously run team. Terrible development of prospects. I'm cautiously optimistic that Holland and Tippett will bring in a new culture and buy in level. I think it will help to have leaders like Smith, Neal and Sheahan here too. We'll see. Proper culture and organizational habits and values could go a long way in getting the most out of a relatively mediocre bunch.

The trade appears bad for us but it was necessary. It was a win win. NJ got a Hart trophy player as I strongly believe it took the trade and Shero having a four hour metting with Hall after his first season with you guys to make that change. We got rid of someone who was not going to work out here and was hurting our culture. The team was so much happier without Hall the following season. In the summer of the trade Zack Kassian was asked in an interview about what it was going to be like to lose Hall. Kass didn't even answer the question but instead rolled his eyes and said somehting to the effect of "This team will be much closer and tighter on and off the ice now. We like each other now and will play for each other." Sure enough that's part of what carried us to the playoffs that year. They repeatedly, in interview after interview that year, said, "We're winning because we're tighter now and we play for each other."

Make no mistake, Hall butt ended Kass in the mouth for a reason (i won't get into it). And Kass took great pleasure in pummeling him.

Whaddagoal

Junktime season...
Nov 28, 2005
New Jersey
hall looks better every game. lock him up at 10.5 or trade him

He is looking better, true, but not as good as we've seen him. Its progress, but he sure as hell aint signing if we can't win a game soon........ this pitfall may have even sealed the deal with him NOT signing with us.

I don't know what to make of this, really confusing. The good thing is, he can't say "Shreo didn't try" to improve the roster.

It's either on the Hynes, players, or both. Can't say Shero didn't try to make it more appealing this off-season (on paper at least).

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
He is looking better, true, but not as good as we've seen him. Its progress, but he sure as hell aint signing if we can't win a game soon........ this pitfall may have even sealed the deal with him NOT signing with us.

I don't know what to make of this, really confusing. The good thing is, he can't say "Shreo didn't try" to improve the roster.

It's either on the Hynes, players, or both. Can't say Shero didn't try to make it more appealing this off-season (on paper at least).

If Hall needs to contend right now and doesn’t see a future contention with the young players on the roster and on the horizon then he needs to be honest. Just tell Shero. Be a man. I’m guessing Shero will move him to a contender. Shero probably won’t be happy but it beats Shero being dragged along until the TDL. If Hall doesn’t believe in what Shero is doing then that should be the end of the discussions.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
This does feel like Jets fans two weeks ago talking about drafting a QB and dumping Darnold.

He will eventually help us win games again and almost everyone will be back on board

RandoDoomer

Apr 6, 2007
Bridgewater, NJ

Some team out there will offer him 11.5 or 12 (Panarin-type money). Sure, he says he's all about winning, but if that's true NJ looks to be about as far away from winning as anyone. If he is gonna take a discount to sign somewhere, it'll be with a playoff-ready team.

Spoiled Bratt

Jun 29, 2016

Trade him, because he’s not the answer to our turnaround. We have offense galore on this roster (and that’s without Hughes chipping in) and yes, he’s a great player but if we can work out some type of deal like Vegas did with Stone or Patches, I’d take that route and not think twice about it.

Colorado looks like our best option and im certain they’d be looking to part ways with some future to win now. If we have to add in order to get a blue chip prospect, so be it. They’re loaded on the backend and that’s exactly what we need.

longislanddevil

Jun 16, 2011
Trade him, because he’s not the answer to our turnaround. We have offense galore on this roster (and that’s without Hughes chipping in) and yes, he’s a great player but if we can work out some type of deal like Vegas did with Stone or Patches, I’d take that route and not think twice about it.

Colorado looks like our best option and im certain they’d be looking to part ways with some future to win now. If we have to add in order to get a blue chip prospect, so be it. They’re loaded on the backend and that’s exactly what we need.

Great post.

My preference is to retain Hall if possible. However, we absolutely can’t have a Tavares situation transpire. If a deal is not consummated mid-season...he should be traded. You outlined an ideal trade partner as Colorado is one of the few contenders that has the cap space to absorb a Hall contract. Secondary scoring has been Colorado’s Achilles heel in recent years and Hall would provide a major boost. They have also stockpiled excellent young D prospects which the Devils should covet. It would be ironic if the Devils swung a deal for Bowen Byram considering so many of us were clamoring for him before we won the draft lottery.

Reactions: MichaelJ

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
Great post.

My preference is to retain Hall if possible. However, we absolutely can’t have a Tavares situation transpire. If a deal is not consummated mid-season...he should be traded. You outlined an ideal trade partner as Colorado is one of the few contenders that has the cap space to absorb a Hall contract. They have also stockpiled excellent young D prospects. It would be ironic if the Devils swung a deal for Bowen Bryam considering so many of us were clamoring for him before we won the draft lottery.

we aren't going to get a player like Bowen Byram for Hall.

longislanddevil

Jun 16, 2011
we aren't going to get a player like Bowen Byram for Hall.

Respectfully (hypothetically) disagree. The Senators were able to yield Brännström (top 15 pick) and a second round pick for Stone. I’ll concede Byram is a stronger prospect than Brännström but the gap isn’t completely outrageous. Just a thought.

ChicksDigTheTrap

No quick fixes, no cutting corners and no cheating
Sep 16, 2018
Springsteen Country
With all the fire the coach stuff going on, I thought it was interesting to note that according to Friedman the Devils have yet to offer Hall a contract. Kind of funny that people thought this might get done before the season if that is accurate.

"That’s no guarantee of anything — just another piece of this puzzle the Devils must put together. At some point, they’re going to put a number on the table and gauge Hall’s reaction."

31 Thoughts: Taylor Hall contract status looms over slow-starting Devils - Sportsnet.ca

Reactions: My3Sons

Kevin27NYI

Aug 5, 2009
I know it's a little f***ed up to come over and ask about trading your star player to a rival, but do you guys think Shero would entertain it? Snow and Lou did a trade together, Snow used to trade ok with Philly and the Pens but never the Rags (except prospect trade). Just curious about what you guys think of Shero's mind and how he operates. Is that something you think is just a non starter?

Thanks

New Jersey

(pacmanghost x) sad again
Sep 7, 2009
*intro to the sopranos*
twitter.com
I know it's a little ****ed up to come over and ask about trading your star player to a rival, but do you guys think Shero would entertain it? Snow and Lou did a trade together, Snow used to trade ok with Philly and the Pens but never the Rags (except prospect trade). Just curious about what you guys think of Shero's mind and how he operates. Is that something you think is just a non starter?

Thanks

I think Shero trades based on the return, not the team he's trading with.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
I know it's a little ****ed up to come over and ask about trading your star player to a rival, but do you guys think Shero would entertain it? Snow and Lou did a trade together, Snow used to trade ok with Philly and the Pens but never the Rags (except prospect trade). Just curious about what you guys think of Shero's mind and how he operates. Is that something you think is just a non starter?

Thanks

If Hall makes it known he isn't signing and if the Islanders offer the best return, then sure.

I don't care who he is traded to to be honest.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007

Thanks

Shero did trade with the Rangers here at the deadline two years ago, to the consternation of some lol

A Hall deal would be a little different animal than Michael Grabner though.

Kevin27NYI

Aug 5, 2009
Shero did trade with the Rangers here at the deadline two years ago, to the consternation of some lol

A Hall deal would be a little different animal than Michael Grabner though.
Oh good point, forgot about that. It definitely is a different animal. I can't see Hall staying in any case, but I would like him as a rental.

ChicksDigTheTrap

No quick fixes, no cutting corners and no cheating
Sep 16, 2018
Springsteen Country
I’m not sure there is a team dying to give Hall 7 years at top dollar. Someone will but it will be a GM with a three year window who won’t expect his team to contend the last few years of the deal.
I agree. If you think about the flow of info that has come out, it seems to be coming from Hall's side. Remember in the summer Hall said the Devils wanted to wait to see him play some games before making an offer. You know it was his side that gave the Insiders that info that Hall gave them the green light to start talking money. I obviously have no knowledge of any of this, but if it is correct that the Devils have not thrown a number at Hall than the Devils could be the reason there is no contract done with Hall.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Or the Devils could have wanted to get Nico done before dealing with Hall. Which is kind of how I thought it would happen over the summer, not so much in-season but who knows. With the team's early struggles everything else is on hold now I suppose, but now that Nico's signed maybe Hall will be next.

Reactions: My3Sons and Billdo

pkbrux

Jul 19, 2006
NJ
Honestly? Of the two, if you told me I could ONLY have one, I'd rather keep Nico than Hall.

Nico is 7 years younger and is the player who fits best in with our rebuild timeline, I can't imagine there is anyone who would rather keep Hall over Nico.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad