Speculation: Taylor Hall - Contract discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Call Me Al

Aug 28, 2017
i trust shero not to gamble on this, so if hall is going to test free agency then he should be up front about it and we’ll trade him when the right deal comes along now or by the deadline, and if he is open to re-signing then i expect that to be wrapped up soon

Reactions: My3Sons

Ripshot 43

Jul 21, 2010
If Hall is focused on this season as opposed to the next eight he’s very short sighted. He shouldn’t be making his decision based on fighting for a bottom playoff spot with this season’s still a work in progress team. If he can’t see the future is better than the present then he should just be honest and say that and go from there.

Exactly. And if he’s not concerned about leaving such good friends he’s made on the team then maybe this isn’t the family he’s looking for. I say this all hypothetically but if this is how he’s thinking then continue to let the young guys bond and grow together without him and use the draft picks/ prospects/cap space to get better in other ways.

FooteBahl

Took a big shitz for Nemec
Sponsor
Jul 19, 2005
Metuchen NJ
If Hall is focused on this season as opposed to the next eight he’s very short sighted. He shouldn’t be making his decision based on fighting for a bottom playoff spot with this season’s still a work in progress team. If he can’t see the future is better than the present then he should just be honest and say that and go from there.
I want to quote the Donald in saying this is a "perfect" post and I agree 100%. There is a very short list of teams that can provide the future that we have here. If he signs with Colorado on July 1st, I would completely understand it because that would be the only team I would sign with if I were in his shoes.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
I want to quote the Donald in saying this is a "perfect" post and I agree 100%. There is a very short list of teams that can provide the future that we have here. If he signs with Colorado on July 1st, I would completely understand it because that would be the only team I would sign with if I were in his shoes.

mid be pretty surprised to see Sakic offer a 7 year top dollar deal to Hall. Maybe 5 years at something team friendly with some sort of lockout protection. Apparently Sakic’s offer to Panarin was big money but a short term. I would be surprised if he breaks the bank in dollars and term for Hall.

njdevil26

I hate avocados
Dec 13, 2006
Clark, NJ
What could we possibly get from Colorado as a return if we trade Hall there?

We don't get Byram if Hall is only a rental.
I don't care about Colorado's first. Why would we be happy with a late round pick on a player that is going to be a question mark in return for losing one of the best wingers in the game? That makes our team MUCH worse.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA

I don't care about Colorado's first. Why would we be happy with a late round pick on a player that is going to be a question mark in return for losing one of the best wingers in the game? That makes our team MUCH worse.

Hall will not return a massive package.

In all likelihood, he will return a 1st round pick and a good prospect OR very good prospect + 2nd + roster player (ala Stone)

from Colorado, maybe something like their 1st + Newhook or Timmins? Maybe something like Zadorov + Jost? Not really sure. Just spitballing.

GameSeven

ἢ τὰς ἢ ἐπὶ τὰς
Jan 11, 2008

Prepare to be underwhelmed. We'd get something in a deal and something's better than nothing, but if a market doesn't materialize to drive up prices, it'll be futures heavy and no guarantees. It's like when Kovalchuk was available but the market was very narrow in our favor.

Unknown Caller

Apr 30, 2009

This has been my point. Shero also understands that this decision sets a precedent for future deals he makes. He's not going to trade Hall for pick 27 and some unproven prospect with middle 6 upside. In the scenario Shero moves a 27 year old Hart trophy winner, he's going to get something meaningful and the team getting Hall is going to have to part with something significant (at least along the lines of Brannstrom from Vegas). There's just no way he lets a team get one of the most valuable wingers in hockey for your typical deadline fodder.

Reactions: MichaelJ

OmNomNom

Taco is Love, Taco is Life
Mar 3, 2011
In the Church of Salmela
is it a good sign that hall's agent is still meeting w ray, or is that par for the course? maybe his valuation is going bc, considering his disappointment with the team so far (i'd assume). so maybe he's now asking for 8 years, 96mil (12 AAV) instead of 11 AAV?

Unknown Caller

Apr 30, 2009

In all likelihood, he will return a 1st round pick and a good prospect OR very good prospect + 2nd + roster player (ala Stone)

from Colorado, maybe something like their 1st + Newhook or Timmins? Maybe something like Zadorov + Jost? Not really sure. Just spitballing.

I'll be surprised if Shero doesn't get a Stone-like package. Zadorov + Jost seems closer. A late 1st and a good prospect isn't going to do it. If Shero does this, he's making it worth his time.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E

Colorado fans don’t seem interested in trading Zadorov even when they admit the value is fair.

I don’t think there is a deal to be made there.

Blackjack

Feb 13, 2003
keyjhboardd +bro]ke
Visit site
Colorado fans don’t seem interested in trading Zadorov even when they admit the value is fair.

I don’t think there is a deal to be made there.

He plays 20 minutes a night for them. I don't think it makes sense to damage your defense like that if the whole reason you're trading for Hall in the first place is to make a run. I agree with the Colorado fans here. I don't understand why we'd want Jost either. Far more interested in the 1st-Newhook-Timmins deal.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
I'll be surprised if Shero doesn't get a Stone-like package. Zadorov + Jost seems closer. A late 1st and a good prospect isn't going to do it. If Shero does this, he's making it worth his time.

And then what? If the market doesn’t appear and it’s just 1st + good prospect does he just decide not to trade him out of spite?

My3Sons

Sponsor
And then what? If the market doesn’t appear and it’s just 1st + good prospect does he just decide not to trade him out of spite?

At that point isn’t it a function of the standings? If t he team is on the playoff bubble by then and Hall is playing well, you decide if the late first and good prospect are worth tanking the rest of the season for. Realistically if you trade Hall it’s hard to see the rest of the team seeing this as a go for it rather than a developmental season. Thankfully unlike last season even without Hall it seems unlikely to me that the team just craters.

Whaddagoal

Junktime season...
Nov 28, 2005
New Jersey
I really want this Hall situation to resolve soon. If he wants to be here for the right contract that is great, if he wants to move on, lets get on with it.

If its true that Shero and his agent are meeting in Calgary this week, then hopefully there will be some decision points met soon so this can be put into motion.

His pre-game answering of questions was really neutral of course, and he said he would defer to his agent further for any public statements. He did re-iterate that being on a "winning" team is important factor in the same blurb.

From pre-game today in Calgary:

Somehow can't get the embedded video to show here, you can find it from here:
PRE-GAME REPORT: Devils at Flames

Last edited:
Reactions: My3Sons

Unknown Caller

Apr 30, 2009

It's not spite, it's negotiation and leverage. Moving a player for a subpar return sets a precedent in the future where teams know they can wait you out until the price drops. The price will be higher than a 1st and a good prospect. I've said this 100 times at this point, but guys nowhere near Hall's class consistently bring back a 1st and a decent prospect at the deadline. When teams really start bidding, the price should get driven up.

Players that have brought back a varation of a 1st round pick and decent prospects as a return at the deadline over the last few years include Matt Duchene, Kevin Hayes, Rick Nash, Derick Brassard, Tomas Tatar (1st + 2nd + 3rd), Evander Kane, Paul Stastny, Ryan Hartman, Kevin Shattenkirk, Martin Hanzal (1st + 2nd) and Braydon Coburn (1st + 3rd + Gudas).

The only players you could even argue are close to Hall's caliber are Duchene and Kane. Neither one have ever finished a season at a PPG pace in their career. Hall played at a 100 point pace two years ago and was at a 90+ point pace last year. Yes he's a rental, but you have to realize how rare it is for a player of Hall's caliber to move at the deadline.

Reactions: MichaelJ

PKs Broken Stick

Oct 9, 2008
He plays 20 minutes a night for them. I don't think it makes sense to damage your defense like that if the whole reason you're trading for Hall in the first place is to make a run. I agree with the Colorado fans here. I don't understand why we'd want Jost either. Far more interested in the 1st-Newhook-Timmins deal.

I would 100% do that deal.

My3Sons

Sponsor
I feel like it would be stupid to make a decision that has millions of dollars and years at stake over the outcome of 12 games or so in either direction.

Ray probably only needed two or three games to just see Hall skate and play. His decision was made over the past couple of years. Again, if Hall is making his decision based on the start of this season he’s short sighted as I see it but he’s thinking it’s now or never apparently. I honestly think Ferris is one step below a plaintiff lawyer and not fit to give good advice to Hall.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad