Speculation: Taylor Hall - Contract discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
Honestly? Of the two, if you told me I could ONLY have one, I'd rather keep Nico than Hall.
Same
Nico is 7 years younger and is the player who fits best in with our rebuild timeline, I can't imagine there is anyone who would rather keep Hall over Nico.
Oh there will be, there are people here who will argue ANYTHING just to fulfill some type of void in their life.

Reactions: MichaelJ

BenedictGomez

Corsi is GROSSLY overrated
Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
I can't imagine there is anyone who would rather keep Hall over Nico.

Your challenge has been accepted.

And honestly, I dont even think someone who disagrees with me would be bat**** crazy. Taylor Hall is an NHL MVP & is clearly far more skilled than Nico Hischier.

My reasons for choosing Nico over Hall in an either/or choice is due partly to age, partly to a far-greater defensive acumen, and an increased (though NEVER as great as Hall) offensive upside.

Taking that altogether, I'm more Team Nico than I am Team Hall, though I acknowledge that those who disagree with me on that could end up being correct.

Last edited:
Reactions: My3Sons

pkbrux

Jul 19, 2006
NJ
Your challenge has been accepted.

And honestly, I dont even think someone who disagrees with me would be bat**** crazy. Taylor Hall is an NHL MVP & is clearly far more skilled than Nico Hischier.

My reasons for choosing Nico over Hall in an either/or choice is due partly to age, partly to a far-greater defensive acumen, and an increased (though NEVER as great as Hall) offensive upside.

Taking that altogether, I'm more Team Nico than I am Team Hall, though I acknowledge that those who disagree with me on that could end up being correct.

I 100% understand anyone who thinks Hall is the better player, at this point, he obviously is the better player.

But anyone who would rather have a 27 year old LW whose game is significantly based on his speed and who has had some injury issues over a 20 year old Center who has proven to be a good 2 way player, and I think most think has some real offensive upside in the next 7 years, I'd not get that.

Hopefully we don't have to choose and we can keep them both

Reactions: My3Sons

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey
Pierre Lebrun reports on TSN that Shero and Hall’s agent are expected to meet face to face in the next two weeks to ramp up the process. Says Shero and Hall are in daily communication.

https://www.tsn.ca/nhl/video/inside...a-eyeing-nhl-talent-for-world-juniors~1812502

PoliticalOldfashionedArkshell-small.gif

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
Pierre Lebrun reports on TSN that Shero and Hall’s agent are expected to meet face to face in the next two weeks to ramp up the process. Says Shero and Hall are in daily communication.

https://www.tsn.ca/nhl/video/inside...a-eyeing-nhl-talent-for-world-juniors~1812502

he also said that hall is nowhere close to a decision...this could take some time. when we had the poll of when something would be announced i think i voted for around christmas, i’m sticking with that

Reactions: Unknown Caller

Unknown Caller

Apr 30, 2009
he also said that hall is nowhere close to a decision...this could take some time. when we had the poll of when something would be announced i think i voted for around christmas, i’m sticking with that

This. My biggest takeaway was that Hall has not shown any interest in taking this to the next level and is nowhere near a decision. Note that LeBrun is Shero’s go-to source, so he’s pretty plugged in with Ray’s side of things.

Unless this team can really turn things around, I don’t think you can hold onto Hall in March if he hasn’t made it clear he’ll re-sign. It’s way too much of a risk to let him walk for free.

Reactions: mdj12784

mtnet

LGD!
Oct 31, 2014
We're going nowhere with this coaching staff anyway. If deciding to stay turns on whether or not the team trends upward this year, good luck with that.

Hall should just fish or cut bait, what's left of his prime seems out of sync with where we are as a team anyway.

HellOnIce

Jun 28, 2007
I think Hall ends up being traded. Ray needs to make a decision, what he's worth and go from there. I don't know what Hall is worth to us, but I have a hard stretching it past 10 given injuries. Certainly not Panarin money.

Reactions: mdj12784

BenedictGomez

Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ

I said sometime in November, Thanksgiving'ish.

You cant let Taylor Hall hmmmmm & hahhhhh all season long on this. If he gets hurt again, the Devils potentially lose a BOATLOAD of assets for nothing.

Shero simply cannot let that happen.

billingtons ghost

Nov 29, 2010
I'm beginning to think that in the salary cap era - you have to win before your guys get paid. We got Nico on a good deal, but you can only afford maybe 3 forwards and two defensmen and one goalie on big contracts. Otherwise you just have to build a team of 3rd liners like the Blues did.

The question is: Is Hall the cornerstone we think he is.

mtnet

LGD!
Oct 31, 2014
I said sometime in November, Thanksgiving'ish.

You cant let Taylor Hall hmmmmm & hahhhhh all season long on this. If he gets hurt again, the Devils potentially lose a BOATLOAD of assets for nothing.

Shero simply cannot let that happen.

Yeah that's where I was over the summer with this as well

That's all we need is for him to get hurt again

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
This. My biggest takeaway was that Hall has not shown any interest in taking this to the next level and is nowhere near a decision. Note that LeBrun is Shero’s go-to source, so he’s pretty plugged in with Ray’s side of things.

Unless this team can really turn things around, I don’t think you can hold onto Hall in March if he hasn’t made it clear he’ll re-sign. It’s way too much of a risk to let him walk for free.

You say this like he is going to return franchise altering pieces.

MichaelJ

May 20, 2013
You say this like he is going to return franchise altering pieces.

Depends. If he’s a pure rental it’ll be a 1st and a lottery ticket prospect. If the Devils can work out a deal with a team he’s willing to sign with they can add valuable assets.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
If it comes to a trade, Taylor Hall is going to return far more than a late first round draft pick.

Right - he'll probably bring back an average player (in order to fit his salary into his new team) and a good prospect. It's rare that these things turn out well.

BenedictGomez

Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
Right - he'll probably bring back an average player (in order to fit his salary into his new team) and a good prospect. It's rare that these things turn out well.

People are underestimating the return, because they're basing it upon substandard recent comparables. It's not everyday that a recent NHL MVP gets traded; and it almost never happens that a player of Taylor Hall's pedigree gets traded. He's a > PPG player in the prime of his career.

Reactions: MichaelJ

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
People are underestimating the return, because they're basing it upon substandard recent comparables. It's not everyday that a recent NHL MVP gets traded; and it almost never happens that a player of Taylor Hall's pedigree gets traded. He's a > PPG player in the prime of his career.

Well we were on the other end of a similar deadline trade and only gave up junk ten years ago which is another reason I don't get why people assume we'd get a treasure trove for Hall now. I guess cause it's Shero doing the trade but still.

If Hall signed an immediate extension with his new team a la Stone that'd be something else but I don't think the chances of that are very high either.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA

But he isn't in his prime. Everything statistically seems to indicate that he is past his scoring prime in all likelihood. He turns 28 in 2 weeks.

Look at what Stone returned last year, who is a comparable player. Yes, I think Hall is better overall is more "recognizable" (if that makes sense), but it won't be much more than that IMO.

Patrik26

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 12, 2016
Sussex, NJ
Repaired knee. Maintenance day 2 weeks into the season. 28 YO in 3 weeks. Other than 2017-18, someone please support the idea of paying him big time in dollars and term. Shero needs to cut the cord and move on.

upload_2019-10-25_8-52-11.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad