Speculation: Taylor Hall - Contract discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA

these are just his opinion, but:

18. NEW JERSEY - will ink a massive eight-year, $88 million extension with the Devils in the first month of the season, putting aside the Trade Bait talk early. It will be too much for Hall to turn down - and the Devils have too much to lose if Hall walks. As for the team itself, New Jersey will be right on the borderline of a wild-card spot.

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
Shero to Hall:
image-jpg.48496

Bcap88

Ruff season that’s for sure
Aug 12, 2011
Chicago
From the athletic

I spoke briefly with Hall about the contract situation in Annapolis, specifically to ask if he had any thoughts on in-season negotiations if he and the Devils don’t agree on a deal by Friday. Some players (or agents, or teams) will say they do not want to negotiate during the season, either because they feel that way or as a negotiation tactic.
Hall said he is fine with his agent, Darren Ferris, and the Devils continuing to negotiate during the season. He also said he didn’t really enjoy talking about the contract situation last week, after there were reports that Ferris and New Jersey general manager Ray Shero had met, and that he was probably going to leave that to them (Ferris and Shero) to discuss with the media moving forward

Reactions: My3Sons

njdevil26

I hate avocados
Dec 13, 2006
Clark, NJ
I personally don't see how Hall gets 8 years.

There are 10 forwards in the NHL age 35 or older.

Parise- 7.538 million
Koivu- 5.5 million
Spezza- 700k
Nielsen- 5.25 million
Filppula- 3 million
Thornton- 2 million
Kovalchuk- 6.25 million
Steen- 5.75 million
Backes- 6 million

After analyzing this... Does Ray Shero want to sign Hall to an 8 year deal after a major knee surgery where he's making 11.5 million against the cap (or 11) as a 35/36 year old?
The league is getting younger and younger and guys are signing shorter term deals.

I am predicting he signs here for 5 years somewhere between 10-12 million per year.

Over 11 and he'll be the fourth highest paid player in the league.

If the most important thing to Hall is winning... what other contender can sign him to that big of a deal? I think our biggest competition to sign Hall is Colorado.

R8Devs

1-5-6-12
Nov 20, 2010
New Jersey

Parise- 7.538 million
Koivu- 5.5 million
Spezza- 700k
Nielsen- 5.25 million
Filppula- 3 million
Thornton- 2 million
Kovalchuk- 6.25 million
Steen- 5.75 million
Backes- 6 million

After analyzing this... Does Ray Shero want to sign Hall to an 8 year deal after a major knee surgery where he's making 11.5 million against the cap (or 11) as a 35/36 year old?
The league is getting younger and younger and guys are signing shorter term deals.

I am predicting he signs here for 5 years somewhere between 10-12 million per year.

If the most important thing to Hall is winning... what other contender can sign him to that big of a deal? I think our biggest competition to sign Hall is Colorado.

They are not signing Hall to 8 years for his 35 year old season. Those problems you deal with later. 8 year contract is the biggest negotiating chip the Devils have. Hall's biggest priority can be winning but it doesn't mean he has to leave 10's of millions of dollars on the table.

njdevil26

I hate avocados
Dec 13, 2006
Clark, NJ
Dealing with it down the road is fine... but by that point, we'll have Jack Hughes as one of the highest paid players in the league, Hall making a butt load, Hischier making a lot of money... and so on. I do not want to end up like the Leafs and their cap situation lol.

FooteBahl

Took a big shitz for Nemec
Sponsor
Jul 19, 2005
Metuchen NJ
They are not signing Hall to 8 years for his 35 year old season. Those problems you deal with later. 8 year contract is the biggest negotiating chip the Devils have. Hall's biggest priority can be winning but it doesn't mean he has to leave 10's of millions of dollars on the table.
Exactly. 8 years from now 11 million won’t look that awful if he’s still semi productive...plus, if he has an injury that causes him to retire, it’s an under 35 contract, so we’re not stuck with it.

I’m not saying he’s anywhere near Crosby, but he has 6 years left that will pay him 8.7 million until the age of 38 which is still a bargain.

Last edited:
Reactions: glenwo2

R8Devs

1-5-6-12
Nov 20, 2010
New Jersey
Dealing with it down the road is fine... but by that point, we'll have Jack Hughes as one of the highest paid players in the league, Hall making a butt load, Hischier making a lot of money... and so on. I do not want to end up like the Leafs and their cap situation lol.
And the Leafs have one of the best rosters in the league. The Devils are going to be up against the cap that's a side affect of having good players. Worrying about the cap 3 years-7 years from now and ignoring the massive problem that could be created on ice if Hall's not here for Hughes' elc years is crazy

Reactions: glenwo2

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
The cap may or may not go up, the CBA may or may not be different, the salary structure may or may not lend itself well to a buyout, and Hall may or may not still be a productive player.

If the price of getting 5 amazing years out of a Hart-caliber player is some uncertainty at the end, you have to pull the trigger.

Reactions: Darkauron

njdevil26

I hate avocados
Dec 13, 2006
Clark, NJ
And the Leafs have one of the best rosters in the league. The Devils are going to be up against the cap that's a side affect of having good players. Worrying about the cap 3 years-7 years from now and ignoring the massive problem that could be created on ice if Hall's not here for Hughes' elc years is crazy

The Leafs maybe have one of the best rosters in the league.... but they have ONE DEFENSEMAN SIGNED NEXT YEAR.

How are they going to sign 5 d-men even at league minimum?!

R8Devs

1-5-6-12
Nov 20, 2010
New Jersey
The Leafs maybe have one of the best rosters in the league.... but they have ONE DEFENSEMAN SIGNED NEXT YEAR.

I'm sure they will.
Rielly + Sandin are already there, Liljegren will probably be there next year. They just have to get 3 d-man and might be able to retain one of Barrie or Muzzin. Ceci will be let go. More importantly they have their stars signed long term. They could trade a player like Johnsson if needed, they won't have to pay anyone to take him. They were able to get rid of Zaitsev's contract I don't think they'll have that much trouble. That's why I think all this cap stuff is overblown -- teams always find a way.

You avoid problems by not signing mid-tier and bottom-tier players to big deals, not by avoiding paying your star players

The only forwards the Devils have signed past 20-21 is Zacha, Hughes, Boqvist, and Wood. There's plenty of room to find flexibility if needed.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA

They have Sandin and Liljegren so that 3

they also have over $14 million in space as it stands right now. Yes, they'll likely have to make some moves but as someone said, thats the price you pay for having multiple stars on your team

Much rather sign stars longterm to big money than overpay bottom 6 players or average DMen. Thats how you get into cap trouble.

Reactions: Darkauron

Edmonton East

BUT the ADvaNCEd STatS...
Nov 25, 2007

Parise- 7.538 million
Koivu- 5.5 million
Spezza- 700k
Nielsen- 5.25 million
Filppula- 3 million
Thornton- 2 million
Kovalchuk- 6.25 million
Steen- 5.75 million
Backes- 6 million

Yea, well, I wouldn't put money on that prediction.

njdevil26

I hate avocados
Dec 13, 2006
Clark, NJ
Yea, well, I wouldn't put money on that prediction.

Look... If he signs for 8 years and 10-12 million, I will still do freaking backflips (and injure myself because I'm chubby and can't do backflips)... I won't sweat it until Jack needs an extension haha. I am just trying to make a guess based on what the rest of the league is doing.

You won't hear me say he's overpaid or I don't like the term no matter what he signs.

ChicksDigTheTrap

No quick fixes, no cutting corners and no cheating
Sep 16, 2018
Springsteen Country
From the athletic

I spoke briefly with Hall about the contract situation in Annapolis, specifically to ask if he had any thoughts on in-season negotiations if he and the Devils don’t agree on a deal by Friday. Some players (or agents, or teams) will say they do not want to negotiate during the season, either because they feel that way or as a negotiation tactic.
Hall said he is fine with his agent, Darren Ferris, and the Devils continuing to negotiate during the season. He also said he didn’t really enjoy talking about the contract situation last week, after there were reports that Ferris and New Jersey general manager Ray Shero had met, and that he was probably going to leave that to them (Ferris and Shero) to discuss with the media moving forward
That is good to hear. When he was talking about the negotiation last week I was hoping his agent would give him the standard NFL player line to use in the future: "All I am thinking about is the Jets"

bobilly45

Jan 1, 2013
Hall’s extension is worth more than just what he brings to the table. It’s a message to the league that NJ is a franchise worth playing for. A Hall extension should change the tired old narrative that guys want out of NJ at their first chance.

Imagine If Hall takes less than Panarin for once the NJ fan base can tell the NYR fan base that a player chose NJ and took less than the guy in NY.

A Hall extension will maybe make other players ask Hall why he wanted to stay and shed light on the player supportive atmosphere Shero and ownership are developing.

Brodeur routinely took less then what he wouldve got with anyone including the rangers.

Call Me Al

Aug 28, 2017
yes he is going to want that 8th year at $11m as it's unlikely he will be getting a contract that high from another team.

the value isn't in the 8th year alone but it's also negotiating that 8th year now as opposed to in whatever health condition and performance level he will be in that 8th year if he's on the free market

Call Me Al

Aug 28, 2017
even if the contract is frontloaded at like $8m for the last year that's still not a bad for him to lock it down

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad