Friedman: Tavares and Lamoriello Have Had Contact; More Details In Coming Days

Critical13

Fear is the mind-killer.
Feb 25, 2017
Sitting at a desk.
I don't see how.

Are you suggesting that it wouldn't raise a few eyebrows if Tavares signs with Lou's former team, mere weeks after speaking with him?

What if Lou then retires before the season starts? Would that be enough to suggest something's a little off about this? :laugh:

The only insane part would be if the last sentence happened. The rest would just be a coincidence.

Chances of Tavares signing in Toronto are the slimmest of odds. With Stamkos, there was a legitimate chance, but with Tavares, it seems so unlikely. So many other teams, and I feel like he will just stay put. The team looks quite good on paper, just need to make some moves and find a goalie who can be decent until Sorokin comes over.

Brock Radunske

안양종합운동장 빙상장
Aug 8, 2012
I don't see how.

Are you suggesting that it wouldn't raise a few eyebrows if Tavares signs with Lou's former team, mere weeks after speaking with him?

What if Lou then retires before the season starts? Would that be enough to suggest something's a little off about this? :laugh:
You do see how illogical that speculation is, right?
You might be watching too much Netflix :laugh:

A1LeafNation

Obsession beats talent everytime!!
Oct 17, 2010
If Tavares signs with the Leafs, this wont look good at all. Collusion city. :help:
Explain further please, because this doesn't make any sense.

It would be more collusion like, if Lamoriello was coming to the Leafs from the Isles and JT was signing here later.

ie. Chiarelli to Boston and then Chara to sign a month later in Boston.

Lamoriello joins an organization to help a rival team sign a star player isn't collusion, its stupid.

Last edited:

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
The only insane part would be if the last sentence happened. The rest would just be a coincidence.

Chances of Tavares signing in Toronto are the slimmest of odds. With Stamkos, there was a legitimate chance, but with Tavares, it seems so unlikely. So many other teams, and I feel like he will just stay put. The team looks quite good on paper, just need to make some moves and find a goalie who can be decent until Sorokin comes over.

You do see how illogical that speculation is, right?
You might be watching too much Netflix :laugh:

Hey, like I said before if JT re-ups with the Isles then there's no problem at all. I just think it'd look really really funny if he jumps to Toronto.

Reactions: MordredGK

93gilmour93

Feb 27, 2010
the likelihood of Toronto not getting Tavares?

onto photoshopping John Carlson's head to a Maple Leaf player.
I'll move on of JT doesn't go to Toronto. Lol. As for Carlson I never once said the leafs should go after him.

Don't see the issue in questioning someone saying "This guy on HF posted he signed a new deal". Sounds credible. :laugh:

A1LeafNation

Obsession beats talent everytime!!
Oct 17, 2010
JT will be a Leaf in a month. Stamkos wanted to be a Leaf but at the time TBL were the better shot to win a cup quicker.

Between NYI and TOR, Leafs are the better shot to win a cup sooner.

93gilmour93

Feb 27, 2010
Leaf fans are insane Tavares is not signing there relaxxxxxxxxxx
Just insane. Why would it be appealing to Tavares to play on a top team for years to come which brings lots of extra money from endorsements to his pocket on top of his huge contract. Just makes no sense right? Not saying he does sign there but toronto would definitely be on the short list of teams to sign with.

glucker

Aug 22, 2008
London, ON
I don't see how.

Your theory is that Lou is going to his son's team, only to sabotage him, and negotiate on behalf of his old team?

Reactions: Smif

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
Your theory is that Lou is going to his son's team, only to sabotage him, and negotiate on behalf of his old team?

I wouldn't call it a theory; that implies I predict it'll happen.

All I'm saying is that it'd look really suspicious if it did, that's all.

For like the 3rd or 4th time, though, if Tavares signs with the Isles then there's nothing to worry about.

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017
Welp, looks like JT is not signing with the Islanders now. If the past is any indicator, Lou will let him walk based solely on the fact that the media picked up on it.

JT: Please Lou, I've always planned on staying
Lou: Sorry kid, out of my hands. You understand, loose lips and what not

This is amusing. I mean, ffs, hey, he only got you 3 cups and you're lampooning him. I mean, I never thought us NYI fans were the classiest of the bunch, but I can't remember anyone making fun of Bill Torrey in his FLA years. It's just weird.

Reactions: PWJunior

SjMilhouse

Jul 18, 2012
Where do the leafs have money for Tavares? There were a bunch of posts last offseason talking about how the Leafs can hardly afford Marleau in the final year of his deal

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017
Where do the leafs have money for Tavares? There were a bunch of posts last offseason talking about how the Leafs can hardly afford Marleau in the final year of his deal

Only on hfboards are Toronto considered a decent possibility. I think it's (in no particular order) the Isles, the Blues, the Sharks, the Devils, or the Golden Knights.

GTislanders

Jan 9, 2014
Tavares will stay. And Hunter is coming as well. Isles just trolled the leafs badly in 10 full minutes on a Tuesday.

Thanks for the front office and better luck next time with a star UFA.

Reactions: PWJunior

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014

They can afford him, but only if a few of the following happen:
-they sign Nylander to a bridge
-marleau gets moved after 2019
- don't resign gardiner

DanM

Oct 2, 2017

Not that I am discounting what you are saying, because who really knows.

But people on here make it sound like the Leafs are not smart enough as a management team to makes moves to fit JT in lol

Who says we need to keep all our young players? who says we wont trade others for JT? who knows what our young players want long term, or what they will be paid in order to build a winner.

Basically nobody in HF boards knows anything, and therefore cannot just say "Leafs can't afford him" or "Leafs have little chance"

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017
Basically nobody in HF boards knows anything, and therefore cannot just say "Leafs can't afford him" or "Leafs have little chance"

It's not a question of can or can't. It's a question of priorities. TML do not need a franchise #1 C. This is a good thing for TML, because they can seek to e.g. improve on Jake Gardiner. Their D isn't stellar.

Other organizations, like the Blues and Sharks, should have an absolutely burning desire to acquire Tavares.

Isn't that important?

Reactions: DanM

DanM

Oct 2, 2017
Only on hf boards is toronto never considered a decent possibility

Right!!

I was just saying, nobody on here has any idea what the Leafs will do. They make it sound like we are not competent enough to clear room for JT. If we have a chance to get him, room will be made, even if that means packaging some young talent.

Also, nobody knows what JT wants, or what money our own core is asking for, or will accept to build a winner.

HFboards makes me laugh

Reactions: 93gilmour93

DanM

Oct 2, 2017
It's not a question of can or can't. It's a question of priorities. TML do not need a franchise #1 C. This is a good thing for TML, because they can seek to e.g. improve on Jake Gardiner. Their D isn't stellar.

Other organizations, like the Blues and Sharks, should have an absolutely burning desire to acquire Tavares.

Isn't that important?

I agree with your points fully, but if you can get a 27 year old JT as well, you do it.

You are outside his door at 11:59 with everything. If you have to you move some pieces at the draft, and look for D at the same time, you make the moves. What you don't do is pass up an opportunity to have AM and JT down the middle.

HFboards makes it sound like we are a team with no options and no idea how to run a franchise, if JT decides to come here, the management group will make it work, without a doubt.

93gilmour93

Feb 27, 2010

Isn't that important?
So your saying the leafs don't have a desire to get JT? The prospect of having Tavares Matthews and Kadri down the middle is drool worthy. The leafs can still get JT and fix the D

Reactions: DanM

Ad

Upcoming events

• Rennes vs Brest
    Rennes vs Brest
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $61.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Mainz vs FC Köln
    Mainz vs FC Köln
    Wagers: 4