Friedman: Tavares and Lamoriello Have Had Contact; More Details In Coming Days

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
So tavares will be staying an islander i guess? Lou is rumored to the isles so is this from the perspective that lou is trying to convince tavares to stay on the islanders until he arrives(is that even allowed lol) or is it discussions for him to come to the leafs(is that also allowed, I thought discussions with other contracted players is tampering). Interesting to see what happens as we move into june.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
Strange for a current employee of another team to be doing the talking on the behalf of an organization he's not affiliated with yet. Especially one that's anticipated to also want Tavares.

Can't imagine anything actually shady would be going on here, but it's weird nonetheless.

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
Strange for a current employee of another team to be doing the talking on the behalf of an organization he's not affiliated with yet. Especially one that's anticipated to also want Tavares.

Can't imagine anything actually shady would be going on here, but it's weird nonetheless.

It isn't weird. Lou was contacting Tavares on behalf of the Islanders (as mentioned in OP). This is the least weird thing that could happen: An Islanders' organization executive is trying to retain a franchise player.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
It isn't weird. Lou was contacting Tavares on behalf of the Islanders (as mentioned in OP). This is the least weird thing that could happen: An Islanders' organization executive is trying to retain a franchise player.

I think he means that after he stepped down, it was said that he'd remain with the Leafs as a senior advisor. If Lou is officially done with Toronto and now works for the Islanders, then you are correct.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010

Has Lou actually signed with the Islanders yet? That's what makes it weird. Sure, everyone and their dog knows he's going to the Island, but it's just weird that as a current employee of the Toronto Maple Leafs he's doing the bidding on behalf of the team he hasn't signed with yet.

If he's actually officially with the Islanders already then I agree, not weird anymore.

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
I think he means that after he stepped down, it was said that he'd remain with the Leafs as a senior advisor. If Lou is officially done with Toronto and now works for the Islanders, then you are correct.
Has Lou actually signed with the Islanders yet? That's what makes it weird. Sure, everyone and their dog knows he's going to the Island, but it's just weird that as a current employee of the Toronto Maple Leafs he's doing the bidding on behalf of the team he hasn't signed with yet.

If he's actually officially with the Islanders already then I agree, not weird anymore.

Seems a lot more likely that this is "confirmation" that Lou is indeed working for the Islanders rather than Lou egregiously violating tampering rules.

And now official confirmation: Exclusive: Lou Lamoriello will be hired to run Islanders'...

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
Seems a lot more likely that this is "confirmation" that Lou is indeed working for the Islanders rather than Lou egregiously violating tampering rules.

And now official confirmation: Exclusive: Lou Lamoriello will be hired to run Islanders'...

I didn't suggest he was violating tampering rules. Obviously it's a clear sign he's going to the Island. Is just seems weird that this happens before he's officially there. "will be" suggests it hasn't happened yet. So a current employee of 1 team that presumably wants Tavares(Toronto), is talking to Tavares on behalf of the team he's soon be a part of(NYI). It's just strange, that's all I'm saying.

But knowing Lou he may have already signed with New York. And we'll just never officially hear about it ever.

Reactions: Mitts888

Avs44

May 16, 2011
If this means Snow is out from running the team then congrats, Isles fans. About damn time. I also think the Isles' chance at re-signing Tavares just went up significantly, if concerns about the teams' future is what is holding him back. Lou seems very well respected around the league.

Ciao

Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
You would sort of expect an announcement that Lou no longer works for the Leafs and has joined the Islanders before this kind of news leaks out.

Lou hates leaks anyway. It had been thought he terminated a prospective trade over one. Does this mean he cuts ties with the player?

Nothing here adds up. It just doesn't sound like the way Lou operates.

mcpw

WPG
Jan 13, 2015
You would sort of expect an announcement that Lou no longer works for the Leafs and has joined the Islanders before this kind of news leaks out.

Lou hates leaks anyway. It had been thought he terminated a prospective trade over one. Does this mean he cuts ties with the player?

Nothing here adds up. It just doesn't sound like the way Lou operates.

It's exactly how Lou operates. Leave one team, join another, make moves and don't announce them.

And leaks get out all the time. Most FA signings of the Leafs during Lou's tenure were leaked well before they were announced, some weeks before (Enroth), some even a year before (Ozhiganov). Lou might hate leaks, but the people he's negotiating with might not.

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
They probably talked about the royal wedding or the BTS craze that took over the Billboard Music Awards last night

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->