Tallon’s time is up? (2020 edition)

16Skippy

Sep 12, 2009
Drafting Gudbranson was Gud-awful.
He close to maked it up by drafting Huberdeau and Trocheck. But what if Tallon maked a good pick that summer 2010. It would really have changed a lot.

To be fair there was no obvious choice for #3, and a lot of mock drafts had Gudbranson ranked #3 too.

SwedishFire

Mar 3, 2011
Was it with this pick, that everybody maked the statement that defencemen are harder to project. I think so?

FrolikFan67

Apr 29, 2012
From next years standpoint this is my rough draft look:

Huberdeau-Barkov-???
Connolly-???-Tippett
Vatrano-Trocheck-???
???-Acciari-Hawryluk

Barkov and huberdeau have fantastic contracts, acciari for two more years at a crazy good price, Hawryluk is sub 1mil money, vatrano another two years at a great price, Connolly two more years at a very good price, Tippett if not traded would be an ELC contract.

don’t expect Trocheck to be traded. If he has value then I’d prefer that he is, but his contract still isn’t bad or anything and he’s at the very least putting up points...he just can’t score anymore. At this stage he’s a very good third line center or a poor mans second line center. On pace (over an 82 game pace) 11 goals but 53 points.

huberdeau and Barkov work perfectly together.
Connolly and Tippett I believe would work well together and both have great shots.
Trocheck would work well with vatrano in a 3rd line role, both play with an edge and agitator-esk dimension.
Acciari and Hawryluk would be great together for a motor line and can grind you out, plus I’d love to have that depth where acciari actually is anchoring the 4th.

So this leaves one spot left on each line. I’d prefer someone like hunt on the 4th with those types of guys, adds speed, a hard shot, and can be a grinder. That 4th would cause havoc and would keep us cheap. If denisenko isn’t traded either, then he could potentially slip on the 3rd, especially if some of the posters here are correct in saying he is similar to vatrano and can play with a little edge and agitate players. Would be another ELC too. They could then either resign dadonov, which i think is the most likely.

FrolikFan67

Apr 29, 2012
So up front our biggest need is figuring out the second line center. I’d like Eric staal personally. He’s old, not a long term thing, but will suffice in the short term. His team most likely isn’t making the playoffs, they’d be better off building more than hanging onto older players, he’s still producing at a high rate, still signed through next season and at a dirt cheap price tag. He’d fit in starting this playoff run.

then pray to god that 1) pietrangelo makes it to ufa and 2) we’re able to rid ourselves of contracts like Yandle, matheson, Stralman. Any combination of those three.

Huberdeau-Barkov-Dadonov
Hoffman-Staal-Connolly
Vatrano-Trocheck-Acciari

then trade for at least one defenseman, like a Dillon or something similar

GrumpyKelly

May 15, 2011
Bottom of a bottle
hello with a generational player the likes we've never ever had, and another that's better than anything we've had since Bure lol... easier to build around. They've also had better success since our inception. Nice try though

Drafting success = drafting Mcdavid #1 :sarcasm:

Plus Draisalt is nothing special without McD, you should check his stats. And he's like -20 in his last 20 games, breaking some records and such. Comparing him to Bure, lol!

Boothinator

@MrBoothinator
Sep 19, 2009

Plus Draisalt is nothing special without McD, you should check his stats. And he's like -20 in his last 20 games, breaking some records and such. Comparing him to Bure, lol!

Drai can let it rip though. Haven't watched many Oilers games though

Panteras

“I’ll remember this hell of a journey”- Barkov
Sep 14, 2009
Panther’s favorite strip club

touché about McDavid not going to dispute you there. But since our inception.. Oilers have had better success than us. With pretty much the current core they did something we haven’t done since like Clinton was president...make the 2nd round... about Drai, didn’t compre him to Bure, said he’s better than anything we’ve had since Bure...and he’s basically Barkov’s age

panthersdu67

Oct 5, 2019
From next years standpoint this is my rough draft look:

Huberdeau-Barkov-???
Connolly-???-Tippett
Vatrano-Trocheck-???
???-Acciari-Hawryluk
Acciari back to fourth ? He is a good 4th line center but has proven to be much more than that and it would be a waste to have him play on 4th again IMO.

FrolikFan67

Apr 29, 2012
Acciari back to fourth ? He is a good 4th line center but has proven to be much more than that and it would be a waste to have him play on 4th again IMO.
I have no problem having him in the top-9. For instance, if we pick up a quality center come deadline time and Trocheck can play in the 3rd then I’d expect him with tro and vatrano. I just want that depth where we would be able to play him there because we’re that deep. Luckily he’s only making 1.7per for two more years after this season

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
If we can re-sign Dads, pick up a #2 center pushing Tro down to 3rd spot where he'd shine, and acquire a 30-40 point energy winger for the 3rd line, I'd have no problem pushing Acciari down to 4th. It gives us great depth and he could move up the lineup when injuries hit. Then Toni could slot in at 4th center when needed. That's the kind of depth we need to become a true sc contender.

Panteras

“I’ll remember this hell of a journey”- Barkov
Sep 14, 2009
Panther’s favorite strip club
If we can re-sign Dads, pick up a #2 center pushing Tro down to 3rd spot where he'd shine, and acquire a 30-40 point energy winger for the 3rd line, I'd have no problem pushing Acciari down to 4th. It gives us great depth and he could move up the lineup when injuries hit. Then Toni could slot in at 4th center when needed. That's the kind of depth we need to become a true sc contender.
Plus defense and Bobs actually playing up to his contract lol

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
Plus defense and Bobs actually playing up to his contract lol

Yes on Bob, to be sure. Although he's played well the last few. It should have been 5-1 against Vancouver if not for Mathesons giveaway right in front of Bob.

Our blueline is heading in the right direction. Stillman looks good and just what we needed, a top 4 defensive d-man who will knock people around. He's not there fully yet, but he's getting there. Matheson, jury still out. If he can just limit his bonehead plays to one every couple games, he'll be an asset. If not, Seattle him. Stralman is fine as a steady vet who will fade out the next couple years as guys like Ludvig, Koly, Gildon, Schemitsch try to crack the big club. Yandle has to be moved, if he can be, that opens up cap to bring a real impact player in on defense potentially.

Reactions: Panteras

CatscratchFever

#CatsAreComing
Dec 11, 2002
O-hi-O
Visit site
I'm going on record in support of ousting DT. If we miss the postseason...it's a must. A first round exit and I'd be inclined to let him go as well. Maybe Chicago was right, he can't get a team to turn the corner. We'll find out here ok..in the next couple months.

FinlandPanther

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 16, 2009
Florida
I'm going on record in support of ousting DT. If we miss the postseason...it's a must. A first round exit and I'd be inclined to let him go as well. Maybe Chicago was right, he can't get a team to turn the corner. We'll find out here ok..in the next couple months.
Tallon seems to do a good job building but after that it gets hazy.

GrumpyKelly

May 15, 2011
Bottom of a bottle
This is a real test for Tallon. Will he let go of his own guys that aren't performing? If not, he's the guy going.

A first round exit and I'd be inclined to let him go as well./QUOTE]

I don't think he goes if they make the playoffs. But a first round exit would mean the defense hasn't figured it out and big moves have to be made. I wouldn't be surprised to see both Yandle and Math moved.

FinlandPanther

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 16, 2009
Florida
This is a real test for Tallon. Will he let go of his own guys that aren't performing? If not, he's the guy going.

I don't think he goes if they make the playoffs. But a first round exit would mean the defense hasn't figured it out and big moves have to be made. I wouldn't be surprised to see both Yandle and Math moved.
We need one gone. Let’s just face it. They both are an abomination on defense most of the time.

GrumpyKelly

May 15, 2011
Bottom of a bottle
We need one gone. Let’s just face it. They both are an abomination on defense most of the time.

One at least. But then when you add a replacement level guy in Brown, a rookie in Stillman and Weegar who's concussion issues look like a real problem... we're still f***ed. We need to bring in two top 4 guys who can play the way coach Q wants them to play.

RogerRoger

Jul 23, 2013
Tallon bet his job on Bob.

He saddle the team with that albatross and might have ruined any chance of the core being successful during those 7 years.

Reactions: I am not exposed

FinlandPanther

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 16, 2009
Florida
One at least. But then when you add a replacement level guy in Brown, a rookie in Stillman and Weegar who's concussion issues look like a real problem... we're still ****ed. We need to bring in two top 4 guys who can play the way coach Q wants them to play.
This is why it’s so hard. Honestly who do you choose to get rid of? Yandle sucks defensively but he puts up a lot of points and QBs our power play. Matheson on his best nights which is like 2 of 7 games looks like a top pair guy and then the next 5 looks like he drools on himself when he gets deep into thought. I think we need a #2 with Ekblad and then a number 4 guy. We need to trade prospects for this.

Jean Luc Discard

Jul 11, 2014

He's incapable of doing that. Previously it required the Calculator to step in and relieve Guds, Kuli and Luce from their duties. He's the man with the master plan that isn't so masterful after all.

FinlandPanther

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 16, 2009
Florida
Tallon bet his job on Bob.

He saddle the team with that albatross and might have ruined any chance of the core being successful during those 7 years.
While Bobs contract is clearly an overpayment. He would look fine if this team could play competent defense ever.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad