Tallon’s time is up? (2020 edition)

I am not exposed

Mar 16, 2014
Vancouver
If they don't make the playoffs, I think that this organization is in big trouble.

We were talking about keeping Hoffman or Dadonov...but what if they both want to leave? I know he probably loves to play with Barkov and Huberdeau, but why would Dadonov want to stay with this losing team? What if we lose both Hoffman and Dadonov?

Huberdeau asking for a trade next summer wouldn't surprise me. I've heard him a few times last summer here in local medias in Montreal, and you could tell that he's had enough of losing.

Things could get very ugly and the team might have a very different look next october, and not in a good way.

I don't think any team in the league needs to make the playoffs as much as the Panthers. This franchise can't survive another rebuild. They need regular playoff appearances and a deep run. Considering what this team looks like on paper, and the coach they hired, they should be making the playoffs. Especially as we have been basically injury free so far this season.

FrolikFan67

Apr 29, 2012
Viola and cifu are business men. They should care about results. Tallon hasn’t delivered...in 10 f***ing years. What loyalty should any fan have for him? They need to make the playoffs THIS SEASON.

Reactions: Cats2TheCup

Asheville

Feb 1, 2018
I think it would be difficult to see anyone else come in here and do better given the circumstances with ownership and the craptastic franchise he was handed.

Lol zero playoff series wins in a decade. Much easier to argue that its incinceivable that any other GM could do worse. That anyone goes to bat for executive with his "accomplishments" in the last 10 years is quite the mind f***.

vendetta

#CatsAreComing
Mar 22, 2011
Edmonton
The expansion draft looks worse every year too. Smith and March are exactly the types of players we need. Bjugstad and Petro were clearly his guys so he protected them. Petro now in the AHL and I believe he protected Pysyk who is gone after this season. Total disaster.
Not sure why u keep bringing this incorrect info up. I told everyone what happened.

vendetta

#CatsAreComing
Mar 22, 2011
Edmonton
Similar type of cancer to ROR? That worked out for St.Louis. Yeah, I know, different situations, but the cancer in the locker room thing gets blown out of proportion. Hamilton has a similar reputation, but he seems to be doing fine in Carolina. And Smith is doing well in Vegas.

And wasn't the fallout with Smith about Rowe? Something along the lines of bad mouthing Rowe, which upset the owners.
He wasn’t a cancer in the locker room. Dale was told
To ship him out by ownership for the millionth time. Expansion draft was not tallon . Period. This
Narrative has to stop cause it’s simply not true

Reactions: Bure1096

vendetta

#CatsAreComing
Mar 22, 2011
Edmonton
For the record if panthers Miss playoffs i agree tallon can go. But I don’t think they will miss. If bob can just play average they will be in.

FrolikFan67

Apr 29, 2012
For the record if panthers Miss playoffs i agree tallon can go. But I don’t think they will miss. If bob can just play average they will be in.
What if they squeak in as a wild card and lose in the first round again?

GrumpyKelly

May 15, 2011
Bottom of a bottle
What if they squeak in as a wild card and lose in the first round again?

I mean, that's an achievement for this organization lol. You're using the word "again" like they have been a perennial playoff team that gets dropped in the first.

Personally I think Tallon wouldn't get fired if that happened but it would mean a bigger shakeup. This core isn't young anymore and most of them are in their prime. If they lose in the first round it would probably signal that they're just not good enough.

pantherbot

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 7, 2006
Lol zero playoff series wins in a decade. Much easier to argue that its incinceivable that any other GM could do worse. That anyone goes to bat for executive with his "accomplishments" in the last 10 years is quite the mind ****.

Process and results are not the same thing. I'm not really defending him, at this point I don't really care who runs the show, but it's disingenuous to ignore the sorry state this franchise was in when Tallon came on board and the ownership situation that makes it difficult. When I say "anyone else come in here", I should also clarify that I mean any that we could actually get to com here. No way someone like Stevie Y is coming here with our history and baggage.

Reactions: Kellyr

Asheville

Feb 1, 2018
Process and results are not the same thing. I'm not really defending him, at this point I don't really care who runs the show, but it's disingenuous to ignore the sorry state this franchise was in when Tallon came on board and the ownership situation that makes it difficult. When I say "anyone else come in here", I should also clarify that I mean any that we could actually get to com here. No way someone like Stevie Y is coming here with our history and baggage.

fastforward 10 years, and what's the current state of the franchise? Not sorry? Lol

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
If they do indeed miss the playoffs then by all means, get a new GM. At that point it has been a massive failure from, well, everyone.

I just hope it's not going to be Chiarelli or Snow or some other moron. Pronger I guess could be good a la Sakic/Yzerman.

It better be Pronger. I could get behind an outside hire like Fenton, but I don't trust our ownership to be that smart.

pantherbot

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 7, 2006
fastforward 10 years, and what's the current state of the franchise? Not sorry? Lol

Better than it was in 2010 when Tallon took over and if you say otherwise then you're just being forgetful about how bad it really was. You can say they have only me playoffs twice with nothing to show for it, that's fine. This is sports and only the end result matters, I get that. But the actual state of the franchise is better.

In the season prior to Tallon, Weiss was our leading scorer with 60 points! Second was Horton who wanted out and was constantly injured. Third was Frolik....Let that sink in for a second. Weiss was our top-line center when he should have been a second-line center. The rest of our centers were 3rd/4th line guys like Reinprecht, Campbell, Moore...that's just sad. Our top dmen were McCabe and Ballard...that's fine as a 2nd pair, but top pair?? That's abysmal.

Our best prospects were I think Kulikov, Ellerby, Shore, Matthias, and I can't remember who else, but again, that's just pathetic. We might as well have not had any prospects at all. And yeah the first 2010 draft under Tallon sucked. But he was only part of the team for like a month before the draft, some of the blame goes on him...but he was also relying on our relatively non-existent scouting department.

Also don't forget our sad sack owners who didn't have enough money to run a professional sports team and there were like three co-owners who couldn't agree on anything. Then I think there was some divorce thing with Viner if I remember correctly that really screwed things up. We basically had no money at all for anything. Then comes Viola, which seemed great at first. Spent some money, let Tallon do his thing. Then we all know about the calculator boys fiasco (I don't say this derisively, I just don't know what else to call it). Then the expansion fiasco which maybe was Tallon's fault, maybe not, we'll never know who was fully in charge.

First, I don't think we could get any of the top tier management people. Nobody would have come here under those circumstances. We're lucky that someone like Tallon was even willing to take the job to be honest. Second, with those circumstances outlined above...not sure many others would have done better. We've gone from dumpster fire to a the bare minimum that maybe can at least be taken seriously as a professional sports team.

So yeah, the results aren't what we want, but this team was a disaster before Tallon was here. Some of the improvements are because of him, some aren't, and he's had his mistakes. If he goes, he goes, I don't really care, but no way anyone can seriously argue this franchise isn't in a better spot today than when he joined.

pantherbot

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 7, 2006
Another way to evaluate Tallon is to put his job in context. Being GM of the Florida Panthers is like playing the game on Insane mode. So yeah..his results haven't been great, but it's not like he was playing the same game as other GMs.

KW

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 21, 2006
Things could get very ugly and the team might have a very different look next october, and not in a good way.
Do you mean that instead of a 91-point team, we have an 86-point team? Yeah, that could happen.

Asheville

Feb 1, 2018
Better than it was in 2010 when Tallon took over and if you say otherwise then you're just being forgetful about how bad it really was. You can say they have only me playoffs twice with nothing to show for it, that's fine. This is sports and only the end result matters, I get that. But the actual state of the franchise is better.

In the season prior to Tallon, Weiss was our leading scorer with 60 points! Second was Horton who wanted out and was constantly injured. Third was Frolik....Let that sink in for a second. Weiss was our top-line center when he should have been a second-line center. The rest of our centers were 3rd/4th line guys like Reinprecht, Campbell, Moore...that's just sad. Our top dmen were McCabe and Ballard...that's fine as a 2nd pair, but top pair?? That's abysmal.

Our best prospects were I think Kulikov, Ellerby, Shore, Matthias, and I can't remember who else, but again, that's just pathetic. We might as well have not had any prospects at all. And yeah the first 2010 draft under Tallon sucked. But he was only part of the team for like a month before the draft, some of the blame goes on him...but he was also relying on our relatively non-existent scouting department.

Also don't forget our sad sack owners who didn't have enough money to run a professional sports team and there were like three co-owners who couldn't agree on anything. Then I think there was some divorce thing with Viner if I remember correctly that really screwed things up. We basically had no money at all for anything. Then comes Viola, which seemed great at first. Spent some money, let Tallon do his thing. Then we all know about the calculator boys fiasco (I don't say this derisively, I just don't know what else to call it). Then the expansion fiasco which maybe was Tallon's fault, maybe not, we'll never know who was fully in charge.

First, I don't think we could get any of the top tier management people. Nobody would have come here under those circumstances. We're lucky that someone like Tallon was even willing to take the job to be honest. Second, with those circumstances outlined above...not sure many others would have done better. We've gone from dumpster fire to a the bare minimum that maybe can at least be taken seriously as a professional sports team.

So yeah, the results aren't what we want, but this team was a disaster before Tallon was here. Some of the improvements are because of him, some aren't, and he's had his mistakes. If he goes, he goes, I don't really care, but no way anyone can seriously argue this franchise isn't in a better spot today than when he joined.

Explain to all of, BASED ON TEAM RESULTS, how the franchise has improved in the past decade. Because two 1st round bouncings is all i or anyone else has seen. That's improvement to you? Two 16th place finishes is Tallon's legacy?

I am not exposed

Mar 16, 2014
Vancouver
He wasn’t a cancer in the locker room. Dale was told
To ship him out by ownership for the millionth time. Expansion draft was not tallon . Period. This
Narrative has to stop cause it’s simply not true

Yeah, I figured as much. He seemed to be good friends with Ekblad.

pantherbot

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 7, 2006
Explain to all of, BASED ON TEAM RESULTS, how the franchise has improved in the past decade. Because two 1st round bouncings is all i or anyone else has seen. That's improvement to you? Two 16th place finishes is Tallon's legacy?

Again, you're not understanding the difference between process and results. Nor are you understanding that not all franchises are made the same.

Tallon has, most of the time, gone with the right process. That's important. He also had a much more challenging job to do than with pretty much any other franchise. He came in here basically starting from scratch, with a team that could be considered in worst shape than an expansion team.

It would be like if you took Vegas, but with the old expansion rules so they have a shitty roster to start. They have basically no prospects. Then give them an owner with no money and give them little fan support. Then have them not exempt from the Seattle expansion draft. Then add on top of that the ownership changes a few years later. Then another year after that, the new owners decide to go in a different direction and take down what was done previously. Then the owners decide to go back and try to do what was done previously. That's what we have today with the Panthers. That is not an easy job, that is a harder job than any other GM has had in the entire league over the past 10 years and it's not even close.

iam76

Sep 30, 2011
Connecticut
I like tallon. But please make some defensive moves and sell guys that are killing us defensively. Win some trades again ol dale

StrangeVision

Wear a mask.
Apr 1, 2007
Yeah I'm sorry but in no world does it take a decade to make a sports team good. It just doesn't. Full stop. I mean shit, we were the dumpster fire to end all dumpster fires when Tallon came here, I sure as hell hope a GM can at least improve a team if given a f***ing decade to do it. Hell, I don't think you have to be a GM to do that. Any schmuck can let a team toil in the basement for a few years and then pick a bunch of top prospects, it doesn't take a nuclear physicist to figure that out.

Tallon has not been able to make this team a contender, and you know what? Maybe it's not really his fault. Maybe there is something about hockey in this region that just doesn't work. Regardless, Tallon has not shown results in his time in Florida, and that is reason enough to dismiss him. The fact that the franchise is in a better position now is irrelevant. If he hadn't improved it at all, not only would Tallon be an objectively bad GM, he'd be on Milbury's level as an all-time worst.

I don't want a better franchise, I want a winning franchise, and Tallon has not delivered.

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
Yeah I'm sorry but in no world does it take a decade to make a sports team good. It just doesn't. Full stop. I mean ****, we were the dumpster fire to end all dumpster fires when Tallon came here, I sure as hell hope a GM can at least improve a team if given a ****ing decade to do it. Hell, I don't think you have to be a GM to do that. Any schmuck can let a team toil in the basement for a few years and then pick a bunch of top prospects, it doesn't take a nuclear physicist to figure that out.

Tallon has not been able to make this team a contender, and you know what? Maybe it's not really his fault. Maybe there is something about hockey in this region that just doesn't work. Regardless, Tallon has not shown results in his time in Florida, and that is reason enough to dismiss him. The fact that the franchise is in a better position now is irrelevant. If he hadn't improved it at all, not only would Tallon be an objectively bad GM, he'd be on Milbury's level as an all-time worst.

I don't want a better franchise, I want a winning franchise, and Tallon has not delivered.

How many years EDM been trying to build a winner? How many 1sts overall?

How many years BUF been trying to build a winner?

How many years TOR been trying?

3 way bigger markets than FLA. Yes they've fired their GMs but what has that done for them so far?

One 2nd round playoff birth between those 3 teams over the last what....30 years combined?

StrangeVision

Wear a mask.
Apr 1, 2007
And those teams are also exceptions to the rule. How many other teams completed a rebuild in five years or less? There are too many teams across too many years to name. Are we really going to compare ourselves to the other worst teams and pretend we're not right there with them as the worst of the worst? I want to reach the point where we no longer have to compare ourselves to them. What they have gone through and what we have gone through is not normal.

Reactions: I am not exposed

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
And those teams are also exceptions to the rule. How many other teams completed a rebuild in five years or less? There are too many teams across too many years to name. Are we really going to compare ourselves to the other worst teams and pretend we're not right there with them as the worst of the worst? I want to reach the point where we no longer have to compare ourselves to them. What they have gone through and what we have gone through is not normal.

You said it doesnt take that long to build and I provided 3 BIG market teams that have toiled away.
CGY another big market that have done what in the last 15 years?

One 2nd round playoff birth....

Maybe we should hire Milbury? :sarcasm:

Reactions: klabob

StrangeVision

Wear a mask.
Apr 1, 2007
You're trying to use exceptions to prove the rule, that's not how this works. Just because those other teams are dumpster fires doesn't mean it's okay to be a dumpster fire. All four of us share status as the most pathetic teams in the NHL.

Do we really want to continue to compare ourselves to other abject failures?

Reactions: I am not exposed

pantherbot

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 7, 2006
You're trying to use exceptions to prove the rule, that's not how this works. Just because those other teams are dumpster fires doesn't mean it's okay to be a dumpster fire. All four of us share status as the most pathetic teams in the NHL.

Do we really want to continue to compare ourselves to other abject failures?

Name me these amazing franchises that turned themselves around so easily. There is no NHL franchise that would have been a more challenging team to revive than the 2010 Florida Panthers. I can't think of one, but maybe you can.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad