Tallon’s time is up? (2020 edition)

Jean Luc Discard

Jul 11, 2014
I also hate when people try and justify it by saying we got Dadonov!

Bad asset management is bad asset management. The expansion draft was an utter disaster. Not going 7-3-1 was a blunder. Instead we went 4-4-1, so we could keep Pysyk and Petrovic! Bloody absurd, and most people called it crazy at the time. Hell, even protecting Bjugstad over Smith was a mistake. But I'm more irked that we decided to keep at best, a couple of bottom pairing Dmen.

Dale thinks that defensemen, even the bottom pairing/fringe NHL defensemen, are really hard to come by. All of his hockey ops decisions are basically knee-jerk reactions which have nothing to do with the process of building a winning product. He just happened to like defensemen in general and boom, McPhee there you, two proven prime age top6 players for ya. Just let us keep our highly valued gunk from the bottom of the barrel.

Crossbar

Apr 29, 2003
48" above the ice
The expansion draft looks worse every year too. Smith and March are exactly the types of players we need. Bjugstad and Petro were clearly his guys so he protected them. Petro now in the AHL and I believe he protected Pysyk who is gone after this season. Total disaster.
Somehow missed your post, 100% accurate.

Reactions: RainingRats

Gizmo Tkachuk

Registered Loser
Sep 23, 2009
Florida
I was fully behind Tallon being gone if we missed the playoffs again this season, but now I don't want to even wait that long. I feel like any other organization would have moved on by now if they only made the playoffs twice during a GM's tenure and neither time even winning a round.

PSLguy

#TimeToHunt
Jan 14, 2013
Port St. Lucie, FL
The next exp draft is gonna look equally stupid because Dale is, in reality, smart as a bucket of bolts. "Imma look real fookin' smart when I trade Smith + March for Vegas coz otherwise they'd pick the Bjeastad". ****ing clown. "Here, take Vatrano + Connolly but your hands off from Stralman!"
I don't have the link but I remember reading that Smith was a cancer in the locker room and Marchy was the price to get rid of Smith.

I am not exposed

Mar 16, 2014
Vancouver
I don't have the link but I remember reading that Smith was a cancer in the locker room and Marchy was the price to get rid of Smith.

Similar type of cancer to ROR? That worked out for St.Louis. Yeah, I know, different situations, but the cancer in the locker room thing gets blown out of proportion. Hamilton has a similar reputation, but he seems to be doing fine in Carolina. And Smith is doing well in Vegas.

And wasn't the fallout with Smith about Rowe? Something along the lines of bad mouthing Rowe, which upset the owners.

IceManCat

#TheFloridaPanthers
Jul 13, 2006
The Rat Den
I don't want to make excuses and all that but I do wonder if the future Seattle expansion has Tallon's hands tied up a bit. We can trade for another dman for example but then who would we protect/expose etc..? I'm not saying this is the dilemma at hand but I wonder if it plays a factor at all.

Jean Luc Discard

Jul 11, 2014

iirc Smith wasn't the most vocal guy in Boston so that apparently translated into a being a locker cancer.

GrumpyKelly

May 15, 2011
Bottom of a bottle
people still talking about the expansion draft

ullaqld.jpg

Asheville

Feb 1, 2018

Lol mentira. That cancer put up 22 pts in 20 playoff games in 2018 to lead Vegas. Two playoffs earlier led Florida with 8 pts in 6 games (highest ppg in panthers postseason history). Please bring that "cancer" back.

Jean Luc Discard

Jul 11, 2014
Lol mentira. That cancer put up 22 pts in 20 playoff games in 2018 to lead Vegas. Two playoffs earlier led Florida with 8 pts in 6 games (highest ppg in panthers postseason history). Please bring that "cancer" back.

Nah, gotta get rid off from those bad contracts. Dale's been too long in the job of rebuilding that he's taken into a religion instead of using it as a tool to accomplish something, something.

ucanthanzalthetruth

#CatsAreCooked
Jul 13, 2013
Meh, I still think Florida has a good playoff shot this year but it would be a complete stunner if they win a round. I actually think the roster is pretty good but it's just not the right players. Ultimately it's on Tallon but I think everyone thought they'd be better than a 93 point team, and there have been zero injuries, so the players deserve blame too.

I know his numbers but even Barkov isn't having a good year.

Reactions: I am not exposed

pantherbot

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 7, 2006
I get why Tallon gets the blame since he's the GM and he picked the players and roster. But how many here seriously didn't think we would be almost a sure bet to get into the playoffs with the changes this offseason? It's easy to look in hindsight now and say this team sucks, but on Oct 5, I'd bet good money 90% of us here thought Panthers were going to make the playoffs this year.

A GM can only assemble the best roster and staff available, he can't play for them. I guess you can blame him for choosing the wrong guys and he should know better than us since he's GM of an NHL hockey team, but I think a lot of blame has to fall on the players too.

StrangeVision

Wear a mask.
Apr 1, 2007
Do you remember some of the lineups we had when Tallon took over? The previous core wasn't good enough so it took a couple years to draft the current one and then it takes a good 3-4 years for them to develop no?
I'd judge more off the 2015-2020 seasons then the first 5 years but I get the criticism for sure, feels like forever since we've been saying next year is our year.

Wouldn't lose any sleep if he's let go but you cant say he didnt add good pieces this year when Viola opened the wallet. Right now, looks like we should have given Panarin the key to Sunrise and went with a cheaper goalie but if we do get in this year, he'd have 2 playoff appearances, one just miss and two bad years. Not amazing but not the worst.

Again, it does not, can not, should not take five years of basement dwelling to rebuild a team. This is hockey, we're not trying to solve a genome here. His job as GM was to turn the Panthers into a good hockey team, we have never been a good team under Dale Tallon, not for any meaningful length of time. He has failed. What do his good pieces matter if it doesn't result in wins?

StrangeVision

Wear a mask.
Apr 1, 2007
I get why Tallon gets the blame since he's the GM and he picked the players and roster. But how many here seriously didn't think we would be almost a sure bet to get into the playoffs with the changes this offseason? It's easy to look in hindsight now and say this team sucks, but on Oct 5, I'd bet good money 90% of us here thought Panthers were going to make the playoffs this year.

A GM can only assemble the best roster and staff available, he can't play for them. I guess you can blame him for choosing the wrong guys and he should know better than us since he's GM of an NHL hockey team, but I think a lot of blame has to fall on the players too.

But he's paid to know better than us. We're fans, we pay to watch, he's the General Manager, he's paid to know hockey. If he doesn't know hockey better than us, why should he have a job?

GrumpyKelly

May 15, 2011
Bottom of a bottle
If they do indeed miss the playoffs then by all means, get a new GM. At that point it has been a massive failure from, well, everyone.

I just hope it's not going to be Chiarelli or Snow or some other moron. Pronger I guess could be good a la Sakic/Yzerman.

RainingRats

Dec 28, 2008
Maybe. But another year for sure that crying about the expansion draft isn't going to get us there.
It’s not crying at all. It’s an example of why we are where we are and demonstrates Tallon’s poor judgment as a GM. This thread is about Tallon.

I’m also giving an example of the types of top 6 forwards we need. Would you trade Hoffman for either one of them? Of course you would.

GrumpyKelly

May 15, 2011
Bottom of a bottle
It’s not crying at all. It’s an example of why we are where we are and demonstrates Tallon’s poor judgment as a GM. This thread is about Tallon.

I’m also giving an example of the types of top 6 forwards we need. Would you trade Hoffman for either one of them? Of course you would.

Why don't you rename the thread to expansion draft talk then. I thought it was about whether Tallon should go or not. The expansion talk has been talked about a million times.

RainingRats

Dec 28, 2008
Why don't you rename the thread to expansion draft talk then. I thought it was about whether Tallon should go or not. The expansion talk has been talked about a million times.
1) i didn’t create the thread. A mod did
2) if tallon should go or not, why wouldn’t his work history be part of the conversation?
3) if you don’t like the expansion talk, maybe don’t bring it up to complain about it and ignore it, even though, see 2)

GrumpyKelly

May 15, 2011
Bottom of a bottle
1) i didn’t create the thread. A mod did
2) if tallon should go or not, why wouldn’t his work history be part of the conversation?
3) if you don’t like the expansion talk, maybe don’t bring it up to complain about it and ignore it, even though, see 2)

I am ignoring as much as I can but unfortunately it's all over this thread again while I thought it was supposed to be about Tallon going or not. I just commented how stupid it is to talk about it again. Nobody has said anything new about it for years now.

RainingRats

Dec 28, 2008
I am ignoring as much as I can but unfortunately it's all over this thread again while I thought it was supposed to be about Tallon going or not. I just commented how stupid it is to talk about it again. Nobody has said anything new about it for years now.
Disagree. As time passes the outcome of the expansion draft changes. Petro becomes a top 4 shut down guy then it’s not bad. But it’s even worse, he’s an AHL d-man. That’s new info.

pantherbot

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 7, 2006
But he's paid to know better than us. We're fans, we pay to watch, he's the General Manager, he's paid to know hockey. If he doesn't know hockey better than us, why should he have a job?

You're right about that, but so many "experts" also picked us making the playoffs this year. Many disagreed with the dollar amount for the Bob contract, but the overwhelming consensus was that he would help get us to the playoffs. Same with bringing in Q and the other depth signings. If we were in solid playoff position today, would this thread even exist? I know...we only judge the result, but I'm not sure anyone else would have done a better job this season. Sometimes the right decision doesn't get the right result.

Blame doesn't just fall on any one individual. Question is how much should get assigned to who, and who gets to stay and who should go. Tallon has his faults and has made his missteps, but he's also made some good moves and I think it would be difficult to see anyone else come in here and do better given the circumstances with ownership and the craptastic franchise he was handed.

I look at a team like Nashville and they just hired their third coach in history...that's amazing! We've had like 16 different head coaches...I just shake my head at our sad history.

Reactions: Pepe Cahones

sinDer

Nov 22, 2006
Drummondville, QC
If they don't make the playoffs, I think that this organization is in big trouble.

We were talking about keeping Hoffman or Dadonov...but what if they both want to leave? I know he probably loves to play with Barkov and Huberdeau, but why would Dadonov want to stay with this losing team? What if we lose both Hoffman and Dadonov?

Huberdeau asking for a trade next summer wouldn't surprise me. I've heard him a few times last summer here in local medias in Montreal, and you could tell that he's had enough of losing.

Things could get very ugly and the team might have a very different look next october, and not in a good way.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad