Tallon’s time is up? (2020 edition)

RogerRoger

Jul 23, 2013
Do you think Bob would waive to go to a contender who's goalie is aging? He has to be disappointed in this team.
Why would a contender want a goalie that's playing terribly? The only hope is that he bounces back next season. That or he sucks again and we make him the backup and he gets uppity and pack his things for the KHL.

Reactions: I am not exposed

PsychoPanther

Dec 8, 2016
FL
I can easily see how owners give Tallon another year. Before this season coach Q didn't know that much about this team beside that it's core has a lot of talent. Now he went through full season, he learned the dark sides of this roster and hopefully he knows what has to be fixed. Tallon (with help of Q) will have to work hard this summer to improve this roster and finally take it to another level.

Jean Luc Discard

Jul 11, 2014
I can easily see how owners give Tallon another year. Before this season coach Q didn't know that much about this team beside that it's core has a lot of talent. Now he went through full season, he learned the dark sides of this roster and hopefully he knows what has to be fixed. Tallon (with help of Q) will have to work hard this summer to improve this roster and finally take it to another level.

Yawn... Dale's been trying to do that for the past ten years. Time for some other dude at the helm.

Reactions: Kid Icarus

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
I'
We are competing with Boston, Tampa, and Toronto. They make better roster moves, faster. They get better faster. We lag behind planning for some future that will never happen.

It's interesting, like in a decade, Detroit, Buffalo and Ottawa completing their rebuilds, being the new division Contenders and see TOR/BOS/TBL at bottom of the league, Panthers still at 9.spot of East and chasing for the playoff spot.

Reactions: Haj

CatscratchFever

#CatsAreComing
Dec 11, 2002
O-hi-O
Visit site

Are you saying that DT requires a coach to direct him how to do his job properly?!?! GTFOH.

Verdadplus

Sep 29, 2017
Should have been fired for the Bobrovsky contract
Trochek trade strategically correct but got
nothing for him

MintyFresh88

Oct 26, 2007
Ontario
When is it going to end with this franchise? We wanted Rowe gone, then he got fired. We wanted Boughner gone, then he got fired. Now we want Tallon gone (again) and he may get fired.

There's not a single reason for me to believe anything will change moving forward with or without Tallon. There's always someone to blame - coach, players, training staff, management, ownership...the list goes on.

We've been cap floor, we've been middle of the pack, we've been cap ceiling. We've had cheap coaches, we've had expensive coaches. We've had hockey people, non-hockey people.

I don't know where we go from here...it's really a defeated feeling. Every time something good happens with this franchise, it either backfires completely or ends in utter disappointment.

zeroG

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2006
Somerville, MA
Are you saying that DT requires a coach to direct him how to do his job properly?!?! GTFOH.

i think they make a good point, one that i've been thinking about as well.

it's not that he needs a coach to direct him, it's that he's got his friend, a coach who's won 3 cups who he trusts and can work directly with to mold the roster.

i don't think there's a chance in hell ownership will clean house. nor should they.

i agree with the OP that Q didn't really know the extent of the defensive dysfunction here. part of the responsibility lies with tallon to be sure - they're his players and, really, the time to address things was before boughner was hired. we should've made should roster changes and brought in someone who could change the habits of those players who stayed.

i mentioned here that i'd heard on NHL network (think it was weekes, who has good sources i believe) that boughner was shocked at how lousy our fundamentals were. there was too for a new coach without the respect and gravitas (and whatever else you want to add...) to change in short order.

what i think may point to is a key difference between a guy like Q and trotz. one isn't necessarily better than the other but it does appear that trotz is able shake guys out of their bad habits more directly, i.e., he's able to communicate an intuitive version of the Xs and Os he needs from the players. in this theory, Q may depend more on his assistants and as such has to rely on the more basic levers a coach has, such as building up and motivating the players (carrot) and rationing playing time (stick).

all that said, Q has shown he can lead a team to where we want to go. he certainly knows the "style" and types of players that can get it done. i don't think the league's changed that much since his last cup. as such, i still think our best bet is to allow this to play out a couple of more years.

Jefe302

Oct 17, 2014
If the season is cancelled because of Covid19 then we didn’t technically miss the playoffs. So Tallon is safe! :popcorn:

Reactions: Cats2TheCup

ucanthanzalthetruth

#CatsAreCooked
Jul 13, 2013
If, what I think is the most lkkely thing, that they suspend the season and resume it in May and have it run through July, it will be hard to push through huge changes as there will be no time.

KW

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 21, 2006
If, what I think is the most lkkely thing, that they suspend the season and resume it in May and have it run through July, it will be hard to push through huge changes as there will be no time.
They could reduce playoffs by making them best out of 5.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad