Tallon’s time is up? (2020 edition)

Clint

Jul 14, 2003
Trade Hoffman to a team that needs help up front for a proven defensive defenseman who has the ability to keep pucks away from the front of the net, then call up Tippet. It's the most sensible move from an asset-management and needs-analysis perspective.

Reactions: ProjectPanthers

KW

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 21, 2006
Trade Hoffman to a team that needs help up front for a proven defensive defenseman who has the ability to keep pucks away from the front of the net, then call up Tippet. It's the most sensible move from an asset-management and needs-analysis perspective.
That’s reasonable.

However, I’m also, or actually preferably, hoping against hope for a deal involving Yandle.

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
I think a Yandle trade has to wait until the offseason, but hopefully Tro and Hoff are shipped out soon. Tro might even have to wait until offseason. I don't see any contenders eager to take on his contract.

Gentle Man

09/12
Nov 15, 2011
Ontario, CA
No idea why the NHL TDL is 3 weeks after the NBA TDL when the NHL started 2 and a half weeks earlier.

Yes, trades can happen before. But these jackasses love to wait till the deadline.

Move that shit up

ShootIt

Nov 8, 2008
We don't need a super aggressive GM who values 1st rounders like they are nothing but I feel Tallon gets too attached to his guys* and prospects.

*Outside of Versteeg who dgaf after getting his deal.

Reactions: RainingRats

Jean Luc Discard

Jul 11, 2014
Tallon needs to make a move or he needs to get out of the way and let someone else do it.

This team isn’t far off, imo. He doesn’t appear to be the GM to get this team over the top. Hope he proves me wrong bc I can’t see him being fired until the offseason and that would mean we missed the playoffs.

The only downside is that Progner, or whoever the next GM is from the mgmt team, is just another sockpuppet in the continuum in comparison of bringing in a guy from the outside with fresh ideas. Ofc, fresh ideas themselves do not heed success but new, maybe unproven ideas are still better than using the same template of proven failure.

Whatever happens to Dale in the next six months or so, they gotta try to trade Yandle who is another dead weight in terms of what the team needs and his ass has to be protected in the expansion draft along with Stralman. Considering that the Cats' have like $4mil worth of buyouts, recap penalty and retainer salary on the cap structure along with the exp draft, this team could be a lot worse in the next season if they don't solve this Yandle issue asap.

Jean Luc Discard

Jul 11, 2014
It’s terrible that the coyotes are a better team than we are..

Nah, the only really terrible fact is that Dale got pushes aside by the Calculator because Viola and co. thought that the Calculator was better and not because of Dale's mistakes. Thus, Viola will keep Dale at the helm as long as he buys into Dale's snakeoil pitch about being some perennial winner when in reality this team has been and will be a bottom feeder team with him leading this ship. Dale has no vision -> no plan -> no correct moves.

Dale is a kind of a guy who's always planning to upgrade his car to a brand new car but he has no idea what he's actually looking for and/or the price is little off or whatever, and then he ends up driving the same station wagon he bought in the 70s. Dale is a freakin' joke already and probably laughs himself at the golf range about how Viola still can figure it out how big of a fraud he is.

ProjectPanthers

Podcast discussing the Florida Panthers
Mar 6, 2002
Towanna
linktr.ee
I said this in the other thread but I'll say it here too:

There's just so many things wrong with these team that I don't even know where to start. How did this happen to a franchise where our future was supposed to be bright? We have two great core franchise players, a #1 defenseman, a #1 goalie AND a Hall of Fame coach and we are still mediocre.

They basically look like they did last year. It's so many things. Roster makeup, coaching strategy, piss poor defense, lackadaisical effort, terrible goaltending, playing too cute with the puck. It's a joke how much this team does poorly. And now our PP which use to be our trump card is now a f***ing joke too. Our PK is also literally losing us games now.

Yandle needs to go. He needs to go NOW. One constant over all these games is his f***ing embarrassing effort at trying to play defense. He costs the team 1-2 goals a game. It's obvious. If you sit there and tell me "his offense makes up for it" you're not using your brain. He is TERRIBLE and NEEDS TO GO. Matheson has managed to turn a corner but oh my god is Yandle awful. Last night was another pathetic display by him, but I guess he got an assist right so all is forgiven?

The team was pressing last night and he chose to pinch at the blue line in a one goal game with 4 minutes left, giving up a breakaway from the red line. He's a f***ing dumpster fire and the sooner he leaves this team the better we will be.

Christ I hope Q has the balls to bench him.

Reactions: Jean Luc Discard

Jean Luc Discard

Jul 11, 2014
He's a ****ing dumpster fire and the sooner he leaves this team the better we will be.

Dale won't get rid off him due to #character.

Yandle's jokester-attitude along with soonk! is a coping mechanism inherited from his Yotes-days which are ofc comparable to Cats' history but he's incapable of changing his attitude. It's all about feeling good and having a laugh which translates into not taking his job seriously. Who cares if he's responsible for three goals per game, it's all one big laugh. The worst part is that his attitude will be adopt by the other players because he doesn't take any flak for it and he's got a big salary and a leadership role due to being a clown.

TheImpatientPanther

Florida Flukin Panthers > LTIR Maple Leafs
Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
It was up when his five-year plan went belly up.

See this is the thing for me when people mention a 5 year plan. I think 5 year plan meant to shit the bed for those first 5 years and build off that. We had nothing depth wise like we do now when he first came here.

Now has Tallon warranted an extension based of the next 5 years (2015-2020)?

If he makes the playoffs this year then maybe but if we miss, one playoff appearance with his built core in the following 5 years is not good enough.
2 years in with a year where we just missed would be harder to argue against but he does deserve a bit of blame for hoarding his picks.

So in conclusion, we just missed out by one point two years ago but if we miss this year, I'm fine if we move on.

RainingRats

Dec 28, 2008
The expansion draft looks worse every year too. Smith and March are exactly the types of players we need. Bjugstad and Petro were clearly his guys so he protected them. Petro now in the AHL and I believe he protected Pysyk who is gone after this season. Total disaster.

Jean Luc Discard

Jul 11, 2014
The next exp draft is gonna look equally stupid because Dale is, in reality, smart as a bucket of bolts. "Imma look real fookin' smart when I trade Smith + March for Vegas coz otherwise they'd pick the Bjeastad". f***ing clown. "Here, take Vatrano + Connolly but your hands off from Stralman!"

Crossbar

Apr 29, 2003
48" above the ice
The next exp draft is gonna look equally stupid because Dale is, in reality, smart as a bucket of bolts. "Imma look real fookin' smart when I trade Smith + March for Vegas coz otherwise they'd pick the Bjeastad". ****ing clown. "Here, take Vatrano + Connolly but your hands off from Stralman!"
Don't forget protecting PeTROvic, is he even still in the league?

StrangeVision

Wear a mask.
Apr 1, 2007
See this is the thing for me when people mention a 5 year plan. I think 5 year plan meant to **** the bed for those first 5 years and build off that. We had nothing depth wise like we do now when he first came here.

Now has Tallon warranted an extension based of the next 5 years (2015-2020)?

If he makes the playoffs this year then maybe but if we miss, one playoff appearance with his built core in the following 5 years is not good enough.
2 years in with a year where we just missed would be harder to argue against but he does deserve a bit of blame for hoarding his picks.

So in conclusion, we just missed out by one point two years ago but if we miss this year, I'm fine if we move on.

How long does it take to rebuild a team? It certainly doesn't require five years of tanking to fix a team. Look at the playoff droughts around the league. We're tied for the all-time worst at 10 straight seasons. Right now we're tied for fourth-worst active playoff drought at three seasons. It doesn't take other teams nearly this long to rebuild their teams and make the playoffs without relying on flukes, we hold a special place in NHL history as one of its most impotent teams.

Tallon's time here has been abject failure.

TheImpatientPanther

Florida Flukin Panthers > LTIR Maple Leafs
Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
How long does it take to rebuild a team? It certainly doesn't require five years of tanking to fix a team. Look at the playoff droughts around the league. We're tied for the all-time worst at 10 straight seasons. Right now we're tied for fourth-worst active playoff drought at three seasons. It doesn't take other teams nearly this long to rebuild their teams and make the playoffs without relying on flukes, we hold a special place in NHL history as one of its most impotent teams.

Tallon's time here has been abject failure.

Do you remember some of the lineups we had when Tallon took over? The previous core wasn't good enough so it took a couple years to draft the current one and then it takes a good 3-4 years for them to develop no?
I'd judge more off the 2015-2020 seasons then the first 5 years but I get the criticism for sure, feels like forever since we've been saying next year is our year.

Wouldn't lose any sleep if he's let go but you cant say he didnt add good pieces this year when Viola opened the wallet. Right now, looks like we should have given Panarin the key to Sunrise and went with a cheaper goalie but if we do get in this year, he'd have 2 playoff appearances, one just miss and two bad years. Not amazing but not the worst.

I am not exposed

Mar 16, 2014
Vancouver
The expansion draft looks worse every year too. Smith and March are exactly the types of players we need. Bjugstad and Petro were clearly his guys so he protected them. Petro now in the AHL and I believe he protected Pysyk who is gone after this season. Total disaster.

I also hate when people try and justify it by saying we got Dadonov!

Bad asset management is bad asset management. The expansion draft was an utter disaster. Not going 7-3-1 was a blunder. Instead we went 4-4-1, so we could keep Pysyk and Petrovic! Bloody absurd, and most people called it crazy at the time. Hell, even protecting Bjugstad over Smith was a mistake. But I'm more irked that we decided to keep at best, a couple of bottom pairing Dmen.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->