Tallon’s time is up? (2020 edition)

batting1k

Mar 3, 2013
1 bad week and we're ready to riot again. We were fine with this same exact roster like 2 weeks ago. We'll be fine. Take a deep breath...

I'll be worried if we don't show up for the 2 flyers games coming up which is basically a mini-playoff series

right, the ol’ only show up for the teams you’re competing against trick. Got it :thumbu:

Last edited:

BeezKnees

Jun 4, 2010
Orlando, FL
And doesn't give us right now a secure PO Spot. So what is proven that our Team is inconsistent and the same Player that are bad last year, been it this Year?

And the Player we signed made the best improvements. 3 of 4 of them.

I'm thrilled if we would play more consistent and made some improvements. Btw our PK play are bad and D play still not good.
But possible 99 Points Race. Possible and those Game in hands are also an Air Bubble, with possible 2 Points.

A lot of its not is.

I am disappointed with the team's inconsistency too. I just think there's another level we've yet to see for a prolonged period of time. And if a 99 point pace is what we look like overall so far in a disappointing season, I'm okay with that. Yes we do need to start putting it all together though, I agree. But we are capable

Reactions: pantherbot

BeezKnees

Jun 4, 2010
Orlando, FL
right, the ol’ only show up for the teams you’re competing again trick. Got it :thumbu:

Lol don't get me wrong, I want the team to show up for every game. But 4 bad games without Barky after a long break isn't something I want to panic about yet. I'll say disappointed. If we extend this flatness 2-4 games later especially against teams we're directly competing against, then yeah there's much more to be concerned about.

But I don't see that happening. I think this is a good wakeup call that hopefully fires the boys up for the stretch run

Reactions: I am not exposed

batting1k

Mar 3, 2013
Lol don't get me wrong, I want the team to show up for every game. But 4 bad games without Barky after a long break isn't something I want to panic about yet. I'll say disappointed. If we extend this flatness 2-4 games later especially against teams we're directly competing against, then yeah there's much more to be concerned about.

But I don't see that happening. I think this is a good wakeup call that hopefully fires the boys up for the stretch run

There have been lots of points during this season that should’ve been wake up calls or turning points yet they weren’t. This team is what it is right now, a bubble team, no better no worse.

MintyFresh88

Oct 26, 2007
Ontario
There have been lots of points during this season that should’ve been wake up calls or turning points yet they weren’t. This team is what it is right now, a bubble team, no better no worse.

Yep, it’s been a roller coaster all season. Only reason they are where they are right now is because of that 6 game winning streak (a few of those wins were probably undeserved) plus the 2 regulation wins vs Toronto. Other than that, the team is average at best.

vendetta

#CatsAreComing
Mar 22, 2011
Edmonton
Yep, it’s been a roller coaster all season. Only reason they are where they are right now is because of that 6 game winning streak (a few of those wins were probably undeserved) plus the 2 regulation wins vs Toronto. Other than that, the team is average at best.
Just like every other team
In The league outside the top 4 or 5 elite teams
Lol. We also rarely go on a bad skid for any length of time.
Again not sure what u expect.

Reactions: BeezKnees

pantherbot

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 7, 2006

I'm not that happy about the inconsistency either, but being a bubble team in a playoff spot is better than where we've been in prior years during February. So there's that

GermanPanther

Foundation Defense
Dec 21, 2015
Munich, Germany
I'm not that happy about the inconsistency either, but being a bubble team in a playoff spot is better than where we've been in prior years during February. So there's that

congrats for not looking a single second into the standings, then you would know we are in no PO Spot current. 2 Hands in Game are nothing then two Games in Hands, when both of the Games are the Games against Carolina and Boston. Then they are nothing like possibility, people like to count it to let it look better as it is.
Sorry i live and go from what i have after a Game, not in possibilty of 6 Weeks and current.

But when you look in the rankings, we are battle current for the 3rd straight spot in our Division and the 2nd Wildcardspot. The first goes straight into the Metro Division.

Promised you must prove to be a PO Team, to a Bubble Team is something complete different.

pantherbot

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 7, 2006
congrats for not looking a single second into the standings, then you would know we are in no PO Spot current. 2 Hands in Game are nothing then two Games in Hands, when both of the Games are the Games against Carolina and Boston. Then they are nothing like possibility, people like to count it to let it look better as it is.
Sorry i live and go from what i have after a Game, not in possibilty of 6 Weeks and current.

But when you look in the rankings, we are battle current for the 3rd straight spot in our Division and the 2nd Wildcardspot. The first goes straight into the Metro Division.

Promised you must prove to be a PO Team, to a Bubble Team is something complete different.

yeah ok I forgot leafs won yesterday. but we're 1 point back from three teams with games in hand. it's february and we're still in decent shape to make the playoffs. we all knew it wasn't going to be a cakewalk to get into the playoffs with how strong our division and conference is. but we're in decent shape and i think we all would have taken it at the beginning of this year. obviously i would have preferred that we stomped on everyone and are securely in the top-5, but that would have been an unrealistic expectation.

I'm as frustrated as anyone else here with the piss poor defensive play and inconsistent effort, but where we are in the standings is about where we realistically should be. we aren't tampa, boston, washington, pitts etc., not yet. we're a tier below that.

GermanPanther

Foundation Defense
Dec 21, 2015
Munich, Germany
yeah ok I forgot leafs won yesterday. but we're 1 point back from three teams with games in hand. it's february and we're still in decent shape to make the playoffs. we all knew it wasn't going to be a cakewalk to get into the playoffs with how strong our division and conference is. but we're in decent shape and i think we all would have taken it at the beginning of this year. obviously i would have preferred that we stomped on everyone and are securely in the top-5, but that would have been an unrealistic expectation.

I'm as frustrated as anyone else here with the piss poor defensive play and inconsistent effort, but where we are in the standings is about where we realistically should be. we aren't tampa, boston, washington, pitts etc., not yet. we're a tier below that.

When we are 3 Year concicstent a Bubble Team and wanna prove we are better, then this current standing is not what you await.
Current we are Battle with Toronto, Carolina, Phili for one Spot that is by far to much ifs. Im more frustrated, that there are big wholes and in 56 Games nothing done to close it. Sorry there where 56 Games there is always a Way to get together. This GM is frustrating me the same as my two or three "favorit" Players on this Team.

A 4Way on one Spot and in a Week with 5-6 PO Games we cant play concistent or together and after 56 Games we still talk about same mistakes. When you count in last Season we would by around 100-120 Games with same Issue.

KW

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 21, 2006
Panthers fans don’t worry! Y’all are so uptight! We’ve had so much playoff success lately, why y’all so upset about being a bubble team? An off year that’s all.

Crossbar

Apr 29, 2003
48" above the ice
Panthers fans don’t worry! Y’all are so uptight! We’ve had so much playoff success lately, why y’all so upset about being a bubble team? An off year that’s all.
Nah this is a Stanley Cup hangover, who can complain with this proven dynasty? :sarcasm:

Oh and as for flip flopping, there are a number of posters that have said from day 1 of the season and last that this team has a major problem keeping the puck out of our own net, no amount of opinions/emotions changes the fact we are still one of the worst in the entire league in goals against....THAT is what posters are complaining about.

CatscratchFever

#CatsAreComing
Dec 11, 2002
O-hi-O
Visit site
Nah this is a Stanley Cup hangover, who can complain with this proven dynasty? :sarcasm:

Oh and as for flip flopping, there are a number of posters that have said from day 1 of the season and last that this team has a major problem keeping the puck out of our own net, no amount of opinions/emotions changes the fact we are still one of the worst in the entire league in goals against....THAT is what posters are complaining about.

That's not it at all. It's the fact that we expect them to win all 82 games, of course!

Reactions: Crossbar

zeroG

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2006
Somerville, MA

i've been as harsh a critic as there is over the past however many years through the first half of this season. my concern has been that we may have too many young guys who may not be capable of lifting their game without other young leaders who know what it takes to win.

that said, i've been defending the team over the past 2-3 weeks or so as, imo, they've started to play better hockey.

but Q said something the other day that made a lot of sense. paraphrasing him, it was basically that the team learning a lot from playing critical games over the past month and feeling the pressure to compete and get points every night. the past few weeks, they've been raising their game and getting results. they haven't gone through this before - with a coach who demands accountability and the expectation of playoffs and then some.

every night hasn't been great but there's been a big change in the compete level overall and in some of the little details, like defensive structure, puck management, etc.

so while i do agree they are still a bubble team, they are such primarily because they haven't learned what it takes quite yet.

getting back to the topic, i don't foresee big shakeups because as i suggested above, imo, they aren't needed just yet. now if they fall apart and miss the playoffs they you have to think about shaking things up a little bit.

Android 16

Jun 23, 2011
Florida
It seems we all must have been bad girls/boys in a prior life, now united in an ultimate purgatory. The team should not be called Panthers, but Hellcats :sarcasm:
I often ask myself what did I do to deserve this? lol. Tallon came in here with such promise only to be at this point a decade later. Is there any other example in the NHL currently of a gm being around for so long failing so many years and the franchise just keeps giving him chance after chance?

Reactions: Jakeybonz

austropanther

Jul 21, 2015
Bregenz
I often ask myself what did I do to deserve this? lol. Tallon came in here with such promise only to be at this point a decade later. Is there any other example in the NHL currently of a gm being around for so long failing so many years and the franchise just keeps giving him chance after chance?
The funny thing IMO is that you never actively CHOOSE your favourite team. It just kind of happens. What about the free will we were supposed to be given... :sarcasm:

Seriously, I don't think DT deserves the full blame. I'd love to see where we would be right now if they hadn't sent GG into the desert. GG and DT were a good combo. I still give most of the blame to ownership and Tom Rowe.

But I agree with you, our history is one of a kind!

Reactions: Pepe Cahones

ProjectPanthers

Podcast discussing the Florida Panthers
Mar 6, 2002
Towanna
linktr.ee
Deadline is currently 2 weeks away. So far DT has not done a single thing to improve this clearly horrific defense, as well as do anything to improve our locker room culture.

No idea what he is waiting for, but if teams like Toronto can make things work with their cap situation, DT can find a solution too. Maybe he's become complacent like every other person hired by the organization. Him doing dick all is extremely frustrating because it's very clear this team has a plethora of problems.

MintyFresh88

Oct 26, 2007
Ontario
Deadline is currently 2 weeks away. So far DT has not done a single thing to improve this clearly horrific defense, as well as do anything to improve our locker room culture.

No idea what he is waiting for, but if teams like Toronto can make things work with their cap situation, DT can find a solution too. Maybe he's become complacent like every other person hired by the organization. Him doing dick all is extremely frustrating because it's very clear this team has a plethora of problems.

Posted something similar in a different thread, but Tallon handcuffed himself (some by his own doing, some by Rowe or whoever). One (or both) of Yandle/Matheson has to go and both contracts are extraordinarily difficult to trade in-season. Tallon and management/ownership went all-in with this team - spent to cap, free agent players, hired expensive coach - and it's not working. This is a failure by all involved and something has to give.

Tallon is in a precarious position because he would probably love to make a move(s), but as mentioned earlier, nothing substantial can be accomplished because of the cap situation and specifically how the contracts are structured on the back-end. These are off-season type moves, but by then, he'll likely be gone, which at this point, is deserved. He's had ample time and took his (millionth) shot this season and failed. Let's get a new and fresh mind at the helm and try to salvage our situation.

Reactions: klabob

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad