Injury Report: Svechnikov: Concussion Protocol

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
I will say, for those around long enough to remember the 2009 Bruins series, Scott Walker was widely crucified for dropping Aaron Ward when both agreed to fight, but Walker was quicker on the trigger. Now that the roles are kind of reversed, its interesting to see Svechnikov now crucified for trying to pick a fight with Ovi under pretty much the exact same circumstances.

Its almost as if players who don't play for big markets aren't treated with the same respect of those who are.

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
Svech was aiming his chin at Ovi's knuckles to try to keep him from scoring.
Broke the ****er's hand, by the reports.

Somewhere there's a Russian chess forum where the consensus is that Svechnikov's sacrifice to effectively take out Ovechkin was a smart move, and we in the West won't ever even know that there was a Game on between two Masters.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
I will say, for those around long enough to remember the 2009 Bruins series, Scott Walker was widely crucified for dropping Aaron Ward when both agreed to fight, but Walker was quicker on the trigger. Now that the roles are kind of reversed, its interesting to see Svechnikov now crucified for trying to pick a fight with Ovi under pretty much the exact same circumstances.

Its almost as if players who don't play for big markets aren't treated with the same respect of those who are.

That's not how I remember it. Ward was insistent that he never agreed to fight. Walker said he thought he was "engaged in an altercation", but never came out and said Ward said he'd go.

Here's the video:

Extended Interview: Aaron Ward :: WRALSportsFan.com

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
Seriously? Ovechkin’s hand is broken?

They wouldn't release that even if it was. He'd just play with it until the Playoffs end.

Some evidence that he may have some issues is that Caps fans themselves were saying that Ovechkin didn't look like himself at all. They attribute it to him destroying a teenager and feeling bad about it, but it is just as likely to be an injury.

I noticed Ovi at the net front a lot last night rather than setting up for shots. Although I haven't watched enough Capitals to say what is normal.

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
Some evidence that he may have some issues is that Caps fans themselves were saying that Ovechkin didn't look like himself at all. They attribute it to him destroying a teenager and feeling bad about it, but it is just as likely to be an injury.

I doubt it's broken. That said, during the broadcast, while he was in the box, he had his hand out of his glove and was flexing it and moving his fingers in a way that you could tell it didn't feel good. Probably bruised his knuckles on Svech's chin and helmet.

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
I doubt it's broken. That said, during the broadcast, while he was in the box, he had his hand out of his glove and was flexing it and moving his fingers in a way that you could tell it didn't feel good. Probably bruised his knuckles on Svech's chin and helmet.

Yeah we were 4th row last night and you could tell something was up with him. Maybe the game was just getting to him, but he constantly had an angry pained look on his face. More primal anger than gameface anger.

Even a solid finger bruise or a boxer's fracture can take weeks to heal.

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse
Once we're certain he can fly, let's send him to Tahiti.
Wasn't watching that part of the game live. I truly hope Svech is OK / can recover, regardless of timing. To me it seemed he never really was firm on his skates from the get-go of the tussle, so really got his bell rung.

I've never broken anything on my hand, but I could imagine from hitting helmet he could have broken it or could or could have a hairline fracture or could have bruised it, and really wouldn't know until later / x-rayed.

I'm a Sabres fan living in NC. Nice wallop by the Canes last night. I thought they played well enough to win game #1 too, just didn't get the bounces.

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
If true that Ovechkin is feeling bad about the beatdown, we should totally play this up.

Instead of a kid, Svechnikov's mom wheels him out to the blueline as the Hurricanes honorary starter of the game. His entire face is bandaged, featureless except for the tear stains. Mom stares daggers at Ovi for the entire Anthem.

I'm very glad Svech is doing well. Rest him until he is (Playoff) 100%.

Unsustainable

Seth Jarvis is Elite
Apr 14, 2012
North Carolina
Instead of a kid, Svechnikov's mom wheels him out to the blueline as the Hurricanes honorary starter of the game. His entire face is bandaged, featureless except for the tear stains. Mom stares daggers at Ovi for the entire Anthem.

That would be hilarious

3CanesInTheBox

Bunch of (Actual) Jerks
Sponsor
Feb 22, 2019
Chatmandu
This team has a legit shot at competing in a few years in a realistic scenario. Svechnikov is foundational to that.

Even if he passes, they should sit for some time. This series is not important in the grand scheme of things.

I'm no medical expert and safety always comes first, but nothing is guaranteed in this league. If we have a legitimate shot at making noise, take advantage. That said, of course, if he can't go, he can't go. Don't rush him. But also we cant assume when or if we'll be back here.

3CanesInTheBox

Bunch of (Actual) Jerks
Sponsor
Feb 22, 2019
Chatmandu

LOL. The media is slobbering and rambling on and on about how "remorseful" Ovi is. I really didn't get that at all from his interview. It seemed like the normal, perfunctory stuff you say. Basically, "if he dies he dies" lol.

Chips

Aug 19, 2015
Edit trying again lol

Hope he’s alright regardless of when he comes back, not worth risking his health for one playoff series in his first year.

As for Ovi’s hand, the man has played two postseasons on a fractured foot and still ran around, I think he’d be fine. I hope

skipnjump

Apr 6, 2019
NC
Yeah we were 4th row last night and you could tell something was up with him. Maybe the game was just getting to him, but he constantly had an angry pained look on his face. More primal anger than gameface anger.

Even a solid finger bruise or a boxer's fracture can take weeks to heal.
I'm recovering from a bone chip fracture of a knuckle and the finger bent the first two days after the break, but then stopped bending and it hurt for a few weeks. The splint comes off in 3 more weeks. So it's possible Ovi may have something like that. But I'm not saying he does either

weasel66

Son of a ****** Must
Feb 8, 2009
Did anyone here Adam Gold interview with Rod this afternoon.
Brindy is always awesome but interesting comments on fight.
Adam pharaphrased about Svech asking for it and Rod”s response puts whole thing in a different light you can hear how upset he is.
It’s at end of best of package at about 6:10 left mark link below the counting down thing screws with me never good at math
Best of Adam and Joe (April 16th, 2019) :: WRALSportsFan.com

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad