Injury Report: Svechnikov: Concussion Protocol

emptyNedder

Not seeking rents
Sponsor
Jan 17, 2018
I think Svech had to fight--Ovi had given him two jabs with the butt-end of his stick. Similar things had been going on, admittedly by both players, since the regular season. While the referees were "letting them play," that means different things for rookies and superstars.

emptyNedder

Not seeking rents
Sponsor
Jan 17, 2018
I disagree.
I can't imagine anyone thinking that if the fight ends differently--let's say your typical hockey fall down draw.
We would have all been furious if Svech had just taken the stick jabs and skated away only to have it happen again and end in a broken rib. Most of the fans were cheering--not yelling "NOOOOOOO!" when the two were dropping their gloves.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
I can't imagine anyone thinking that if the fight ends differently--let's say your typical hockey fall down draw.
We would have all been furious if Svech had just taken the stick jabs and skated away only to have it happen again and end in a broken rib. Most of the fans were cheering--not yelling "NOOOOOOO!" when the two were dropping their gloves.

Again, I disagree. When you play physical like Svech does and when you go to the dirty areas to score, you are going to get jabs, crosschecked, slashed, etc.. It's pretty common, especially during the playoffs and to be expected. Holmstrom made a living doing that and didn't "need" to fight everyone who did this to him, instead he went to the dirty areas even more and made life miserable for their goalie and defensemen.

If a jab happened again and he broke a rib, then I'd be furious at the ref for missing it, not at Svech for "not fighting" earlier, because that fight wouldn't have stopped anything. Do you think that if Svech returns (or even next year), because he "fought", that the Caps are now going to take it easy on him when he's in the dirty areas? I think it will be the opposite, they'll go after him even harder. Win, lose or draw, the fight accomplished absolutely nothing in terms of the jabs he was receiving which is why I disagree he "needed" to fight.

re: the Fans cheering, fans cheer every fight, that's irrelevant. Half the people around me didn't even know who was fighting until it was over.

And the "jab" was not a big deal and something that happens every game.

giphy.gif

Finnish Jerk Train

lol stupid mickey mouse organization
Apr 7, 2008
Raleigh
He took a dive so he wouldn’t embarrass his idol. The trip to the hospital is just to make it extra convincing.
He won the fight by inspiring the team to get a 5-0 victory
The idea was to rattle his childhood hero enough to take his mind off the game, while simultaneously turning his teammates into a herd of raging bulls. Clearly it worked.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad