Injury Report: Svechnikov: Concussion Protocol

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009
Are we really trying to continue with this "Ferland is a wuss" narrative? The dude is seriously messed up. Sounds like back issues from earlier reports. That guy is not taking it easy because his ego is hurt or its a little bump. ****ing ridiculous to speculate some bull**** like that.

He seems to be the type of injured that he should’ve had surgery months ago. I don’t know who is being the stubborn dope here, him or the team. Maybe both.

When you have to leave a game after 2 shifts 3 times in 3 months with the same injury, there’s a major f***ing problem.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
I don’t know, if you speak English to most players while playing would you naturally revert to Russian just because of who you’re talking **** to?

I don’t think it’s a given.

Could be the case. With Ovi, that's more possible. Svech's english still isn't that great to the point where when he talks, you can see him having to think about it. When you are in the heat of a battle, it would seem to me that you'd go with what's natural. Who knows for sure, which is why I said I would have thought they'd be speaking in Russian.

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
ferland's season from the time he came to an impasse with carolina about a contract has been downright nightmarish. not sure if he's putting himself through too much in attempt to come back from injuries he shouldn't or he's just fighting his confidence or both, but he doesn't look like nearly the same player he did the first 30 games of the season. that guy we miss considerably. the one we've gotten since? not as much. having a bad ufa season is like having a bad draft season and that pressure can be a distraction.

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009
Could be the case. With Ovi, that's more possible. Svech's english still isn't that great to the point where when he talks, you can see him having to think about it. When you are in the heat of a battle, it would seem to me that you'd go with what's natural. Who knows for sure, which is why I said I would have thought they'd be speaking in Russian.

Could certainly be they spoke Russian.

It’s very possible the only English words spoken were f*** and you.

3CanesInTheBox

Bunch of (Actual) Jerks
Sponsor
Feb 22, 2019
Chatmandu
Those cheekbones, anyway. Goodness!

His face already IS a precious jewel :sarcasm:

andrei jewel.png

3CanesInTheBox

Bunch of (Actual) Jerks
Sponsor
Feb 22, 2019
Chatmandu
I caught some shows on Sirius NHL Radio yesterday, and to a man they were pushing the narrative "The kid was the one who asked to fight and got what he deserved". Some were even saying Svetch was "going after Ovi" the whole series. Don't usually listen to any of the shows so honestly don't even know who the guys are and if they are just clowns - but it was interesting they all just threw that Svetch was the instigator out here as facts. Actually Barnaby was one of the guys on one of the shows.

Everyone loves OvechGod ::insert eye roll:: was very little chance the media narrative wouldn't be mostly on his side.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
ferland's season from the time he came to an impasse with carolina about a contract has been downright nightmarish. not sure if he's putting himself through too much in attempt to come back from injuries he shouldn't or he's just fighting his confidence or both, but he doesn't look like nearly the same player he did the first 30 games of the season. that guy we miss considerably. the one we've gotten since? not as much. having a bad ufa season is like having a bad draft season and that pressure can be a distraction.

Not sure how much of it is pressure vs. just chronic injuries, but you are right that it can also lead to confidence issues, especially when you can't stay in the line-up.

IIRC, Ferland's first injury occurred end of Nov, which was a concussion which kept him out until Dec 11th.
Then he came back for 17 games and in Mid-Late January, he had the back injury.
He's then been reported to have "upper body" injuries 3 times since then (Could be that same back injury or a shoulder injury)

He hasn't been healthy since early December and for a guy that needs to play physical to have success, that's an issue.

3CanesInTheBox

Bunch of (Actual) Jerks
Sponsor
Feb 22, 2019
Chatmandu
Svech should have faked his death like Nick Fury to keep the team rallied. Now they know he's ok it's not the same :(

I'd love for them to wheel him out in a casket one game and then he just jumps up, geared up undertaker style :laugh:

giphy.gif

ETA: Trust me, they will still be going for blood this series. You don't see a kid KOed like that by OvechPunk and not be furious -- regardless if he's 'okay'

My Special Purpose

Apr 8, 2008

This whole thing was one giant misunderstanding.

3CanesInTheBox

Bunch of (Actual) Jerks
Sponsor
Feb 22, 2019
Chatmandu
Can we have Ric Flair cut a promo before a game at PNC?

Hey. ::Waves::

Just want to let you know--if it was not obvious--that I still really enjoy you on the forum. Please know my notedly irrational hatred of Ovi (as a player, not a person) is no reflection of my feelings towards Caps fans. I've actually very rarely had any negative interactions with them in person.

VaCaps Fan

Sponsor
Feb 18, 2018
Hey. ::Waves::

Just want to let you know--if it was not obvious--that I still really enjoy you on the forum. Please know my notedly irrational hatred of Ovi (as a player, not a person) is no reflection of my feelings towards Caps fans. I've actually very rarely had any negative interactions with them in person.
It’s all good, the whole exchange between them left me a bit uncomfortable myself. “Skilled” players are not skilled at fighting for good reason.

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
I don’t know, if you speak English to most players while playing would you naturally revert to Russian just because of who you’re talking **** to?

I don’t think it’s a given.

If I ever was to private post a fellow Finn on HFBoards, it's 50/50 if I would choose to use Finnish or English for it.

The other guy would either have the same problem or question my nonsense like really hard.

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC

So somewhere on 3 or 4 based on the protocol.

1. Complete rest until symptom-free
  2. Light aerobic exercise
  3. Sport-specific exercise
  4. Non-contact drills
  5. Full-contact drills after medical clearance
  6. Return to competition

Still likely needs to be medically cleared after he remains symptom free from this skate, then full practice, then cleared to play:

Cardiac Jerks

Asinine & immoral
Jan 13, 2006
Long Sault, Ontario
So somewhere on 3 or 4 based on the protocol.

1. Complete rest until symptom-free
  2. Light aerobic exercise
  3. Sport-specific exercise
  4. Non-contact drills
  5. Full-contact drills after medical clearance
  6. Return to competition

Still likely needs to be medically cleared after he remains symptom free from this skate, then full practice, then cleared to play:

Do you know if they have any mandatory durations they have to stay at any of those levels or is it a case by case basis? Do the team doctors do the evaluations or does it have to be someone external?

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC
Do you know if they have any mandatory durations they have to stay at any of those levels or is it a case by case basis? Do the team doctors do the evaluations or does it have to be someone external?

I think it's team doctors, not league. The main thing in progressing through the steps is to wait to see if symptoms return and halting if they do, going back to step 1.

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
This whole "he got what he deserved" narrative coming out of DC is pretty revolting if you ask me. Just not a good look at all to say this at a time when there is heightened awareness across all of sports about head injuries. The need to fawn over everything Ovi does, damn the optics is really doing a disservice to the league right now. And its especially troublesome to see this kind of attitude prevalent on TSN, NBC, and most troubling, the NHL Network.

Finnish Jerk Train

lol stupid mickey mouse organization
Apr 7, 2008
Raleigh
So I hate to muddy the waters, but I can only find this six-step program in the context of recommendations from the medical community. I don't see anything that says the league actually adopted it as the official concussion protocol. Does anyone know for sure that they did?

I came across this because I was curious what the difference was between "sport-specific exercise" and "non-contact drills". According to the definitions given by the Canadian Pediatric Society (Table 4 here), the former basically means skating only while the latter means actual hockey drills. To me, that video looks like step 4 under their guidelines since he's doing shooting and deflection drills.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $25.00