Injury Report: Svechnikov: Concussion Protocol

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
This makes sense when you can make those determinations. Part of the problem with concussions is that nobody knows how to do that. They "think" they have good standards, but they will tell you they don't know when the brain is 100% vs. just looking that way. And with younger athletes being more vulnerable to concussions and reinjury, I'd hope the team errs on the side of extreme caution.

I alluded to that fact in the part of my post that you didn't include in your quote. ;)

Specifically, I said: "Brain injuries are tricky and I don't know enough about the protocol, so I agree they need to make sure he's really and fully healed before playing him. I think the Canes will be very careful with him and won't take any chances though."

My point is that IF the Canes, doctors and Svech are very careful with this and are all confident he's ok (and I understand there is some uncertainty when it comes to brain injuries), then I disagree just shutting him down for the rest of the season out of precaution. It may never come to that as he has to pass the protocol and the Canes need to keep winning to even make it an option.

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017

FaulkYouAho

ferla memes
Sep 14, 2015
North Carolina

The Faulker 27

Nov 15, 2011
Sauna-Aho
Part of me thinks that Svech is a 19 year old playing in the NHL and willingly said yes to a fight with a much older, stronger person. I mean Ovi could have had more composure but you can't expect that a youngster is protected just because. He's playing in a men's league. You will get knocked the f*** out if you're not careful. Hopefully, he's more careful next time. Or takes a few boxing lessons in his off time.

I'm still sick over it, and hate that it happened but am very glad to hear he's ok.

Anton Dubinchuk

aho
Sponsor
Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA

Adding fuel to the fire

I’m... not sure how that onus falls on Ovechkin.

Telling the Caps “be ginger with our sweet 19-year-old so he can score goals on you” is a pretty awful strategy.

Should the onus be on Holtby to let in a softie now and then as well?

Don’t get me wrong, if this is the only “legal” way they can start an all-out hate fest on Ovechkin (I’m sure the league would frown upon “he’d better keep his head up because we’re coming for him), I’m all for that. But this tweet is just so bizarre.

WreckingCrew

Feb 4, 2015
what does this tweet say, school has ad blocker on and i won't be home till late, and by late i mean probably after sun sets because im going to be helping my grandparents clean outside
Mark Armstrong@ArmstrongABC11
So there’s zero confusion, Canes aren’t disputing Svech agreed to go, but they are firm in belief Ovie has the onus to make sure it doesn’t get to that point, much less become the aggressor
RBA was NOT having it with my final question about why Svech would seemingly give the green light to Ovie last night. Firmly believes that was all on Ovie. Quote from Canes staffer: “Someone lied about that, and it wasn’t our team.”

Navin R Slavin

Fifth line center
Jan 1, 2011
Durrm NC
Rod is old school. There's a right way and a wrong way in his mind. That's fine.

The real point is: enough with the bullshit. Fighting is a bad idea in a day and age in which we're trying to reduce traumatic brain injury in the game.

Who started the fight is irrelevant. If you let guys think it's ok to fight, they'll fight, because they're competitors and they think they should. Remove the burden by making it unacceptable to everybody. It's well past time.

Put em all in full cages while you're at it.

FaulkYouAho

ferla memes
Sep 14, 2015
North Carolina
So there’s zero confusion, Canes aren’t disputing Svech agreed to go, but they are firm in belief Ovie has the onus to make sure it doesn’t get to that point, much less become the aggressor
RBA was NOT having it with my final question about why Svech would seemingly give the green light to Ovie last night. Firmly believes that was all on Ovie. Quote from Canes staffer: “Someone lied about that, and it wasn’t our team.”

from what i saw tho Svech agreed, he gave the nod. im not saying he wanted to but i saw the nod i thought

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
Rod is old school. There's a right way and a wrong way in his mind. That's fine.

The real point is: enough with the bull****. Fighting is a bad idea in a day and age in which we're trying to reduce traumatic brain injury in the game.

Who started the fight is irrelevant. If you let guys think it's ok to fight, they'll fight, because they're competitors and they think they should. Remove the burden by making it unacceptable to everybody. It's well past time.

Put em all in full cages while you're at it.
Pretty much. If you're going to allow fighting, stuff like this will happen. It sucks, and it's unfortunate, but it can happen. I really wouldn't mind getting rid of it at this point either.

AD Skinner

Mar 18, 2009
bubble bath
Full cages I think will pretty much eliminate fighting anyway. Even a nicely broken in helmet-cage combo doesnt just fly off your head, and no one's going to punch a cage with their bare fist. Not more than once or twice anyway. I've seen fights break out among players with cages, but they're more shoving matches than anything else.

FaulkYouAho

ferla memes
Sep 14, 2015
North Carolina
something about this fight tho, i don't think we would have mauled them the way we did. This fight caused his besties in the locker room to play like a bunch of savages running wild, and foegele was already playing great before. When Foegele Martinook and Hamilton all got that spark it rubbed off on staal, mcginn, nino, and Mckegg and he it turned into a hit fest. When it turned into a hit fest, people like Eller, Orprick, Chicken, Wilson ECT. started to get more and more riled. The more they got riled the more agitated they got. The more agitated they got the worse they played and the more they went for the hit instead of the puck. That allowed us to play with the puck a lot more and go after the goals. 56 hits by the canes? almost a hit a minute by carolina. That is how you tell a game got out of hand, and it did. on both sides.

I think this will be a new rivalry for the Canes. These games are going to be a group of monkeys throwing their poop at each other the whole time. If the refs don't want this to get out of hand, they need to set the tone early in game 4.

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
Anyone seen Ballad of Buster Scruggs?

"Need a count?"
"No sir" *bang* - dead

Kinda feels like what Ovi did. Technically correct but a bit underhanded. Clearly Ovi has been harassing Svechnikov for multiple games at this point. Seems like a deliberate stategy on his part to wear down and/or eliminate Svech. Hopefully it backfires on him with 19 angry, motivated opponents facing him down the rest of the series.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad