Injury Report: Svechnikov: Concussion Protocol

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
How do y'all read that? Does that mean he has one or doesn't.

I read it as he has a concussion and is in the protocol, but outside of that, he's ok.

Probably the best case we could have expected after that fight.

The good news is that I expect him to be ok going forward. Precautions and treatment of concussions have come a very, very long way in the 15 years since Willis' career basically ended. Svech won't be rushed back, and they'll make sure he's healthy before he plays again.

The better news is now the team has a big rallying cry for the remainder of this series. If they come with the same intensity on Thursday that they brought last night, the Caps might go into the fetal position for the rest of the series.

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
If Svechnikov entered/failed concussion protocol then I believe it sets a 14 days (or 12? I can't remember for sure) before he can play again. I remember Rod talking about it when Fleury/Staal both had concussions, when Jordan would "feel off" during a practice it would reset the timer.

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
Svech was checked out by doctors?
Tick boxes for concussion got checked out for concussion?
All tick boxes for the concussion protocol already are checked out?
Svech checked out from the hospital?
Svech is in many pieces but everything got checked out from the hospital and was given to the team in a box?

Stupid twitter reporting.

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC
If Svechnikov entered/failed concussion protocol then I believe it sets a 14 days (or 12? I can't remember for sure) before he can play again. I remember Rod talking about it when Fleury/Staal both had concussions, when Jordan would "feel off" during a practice it would reset the timer.

Technically I don't think there's a strict time limit. Also, he technically enters the protocol if they suspect a concussion whether or not they diagnose one.

If Svech did have a concussion, he needs to show progression through activities without symptoms, which will take time.

http://obia.ca/new-nhl-concussion-guidelines-lets-get-the-doctor-involved/
  1. Complete rest until symptom-free
  2. Light aerobic exercise
  3. Sport-specific exercise
  4. Non-contact drills
  5. Full-contact drills after medical clearance
  6. Return to competition

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
This team has a legit shot at competing in a few years in a realistic scenario. Svechnikov is foundational to that.

Even if he passes, they should sit for some time. This series is not important in the grand scheme of things.

I think it depends. I don't agree with the philosophy that if a guy is 100% healthy, he should sit, so if he is indeed 100% healthy, he should play. If he's not 100% healthy, then he should not play as it's too risky. Brain injuries are tricky and I don't know enough about the protocol, so I agree they need to make sure he's really and fully healed before playing him. I think the Canes will be very careful with him and won't take any chances though.

robbieberns

Feb 23, 2016
Raleigh, NC
Good to hear Svech is ok. Do we have any word on what’s going on with Ferland?

Even if just one guy is out Thursday, Saarela will definitely be the guy called up and hopefully draw in immediately. I like Saku, but I think why not put a point producer in a spot to produce points. If neither Svech or Ferland can go on Thursday they’re both in anyways.

Assuming they’re both down, do we see something like:

Nino - Aho - Williams
Saarela - Staal - TT
Foegele - Wallmark - McGinn
Saku - McKegg - Martinook

Hope both guys recover and are back sooner than later.

Incubajerks

Feb 9, 2010
Roma

Even if just one guy is out Thursday, Saarela will definitely be the guy called up and hopefully draw in immediately. I like Saku, but I think why not put a point producer in a spot to produce points. If neither Svech or Ferland can go on Thursday they’re both in anyways.

Nino - Aho - Williams
Saarela - Staal - TT

I dont' know, i am not sure they call up a forward. Mana could draw in and HCRBA could dress 7D (Bean). We'll see, don't think it will be Saarela.

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
I don't agree with the philosophy that if a guy is 100% healthy, he should sit, so if he is indeed 100% healthy, he should play. If he's not 100% healthy, then he should not play as it's too risky.
This makes sense when you can make those determinations. Part of the problem with concussions is that nobody knows how to do that. They "think" they have good standards, but they will tell you they don't know when the brain is 100% vs. just looking that way. And with younger athletes being more vulnerable to concussions and reinjury, I'd hope the team errs on the side of extreme caution.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006

Nino - Aho - Williams
Saarela - Staal - TT

Why do you say that? Saarela was one of the first guys sent down from training camp and never got a callup once all season. Maybe he will be called up, but I wouldn't put odds on it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad