SuperLeague a done deal- New York Times

Status
Not open for further replies.

BKIslandersFan

F*** off
Sep 29, 2017
Brooklyn
Yeah, it really is that easy. They also have immigration control and can ban foreign teams from entering the country. It seems you don't know any of these things and perhaps you even think their country is like America.
No, I don't think UK politics is anything like here.

But only a simpleton would assume passing such laws don't come with trials and tribulations.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
It is that easy.

Getting expedient working papers for foreign players involves the government. They have a huge say in sports leagues.

Absolutely.

They'll only do it if it's a big win with the public ... which right now it definitely appears to be. And from what we're already hearing from the government (and hell, even the Royal Family) I think there's a very good chance that the British government absolutely buries this.

Reactions: Machinehead

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
It's almost like this was the entire point of the announcement in the first place. Hold the gun to UEFAs head and hope they blink.

Yep. They're going to come back. I still think there's a major issue with regards to UEFA and at some point they need to be cut out of the equation. That's really the only thing I agreed with these teams about.

Reactions: gary69

Moncherry

Feb 5, 2010
If UEFA kicks out Real/Chelsea/City/Arsenal/United from Europe, it would ruin the integrity of this season's CL/EL, not to mention the potential financial consequences. Would render the entire European season moot. I thought it would have been a prospective ban from future editions, but if they're willing to follow through with it immediately then they're really not f***ing around.

DanielPlainview

Apr 28, 2009
I think it would be best for the game if FIFA and it's minion confederations are cut out and destroyed. I don't know if Super League is the way to go about it but these are really just glorified cartels and money laundering schemes

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
According to Al Jazeera, UEFA is seeking financing from an English bank that will allow them to offer more prize money in the CL than in this proposal. They want the other teams to come back.

UEFA discussing $7.2bn deal with Centricus to halt Super League

If you give them more money now, they'll come back to want more money in 2 years etc. etc. and in the meantime the gap between the haves and have nots further increases thanks to all that even more generous funding. I think this is the time to crush club power legally and politically - not to negotiate over more CL prize money (which is really just a small aspect of the fundamental questions here).

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
If you give them more money now, they'll come back to want more money in 2 years etc. etc. and in the meantime the gap between the haves and have nots further increases thanks to all that even more generous funding. I think this is the time to crush club power legally and politically - not to negotiate over more CL prize money (which is really just a small aspect of the fundamental questions here).

I think they should give them money now and the UK government should pass laws to immediately get rid of the current ownership system. When you take the English teams out of the equation you can never have one of these attempts again and I think that's the most important thing to prevent.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Yep. They're going to come back. I still think there's a major issue with regards to UEFA and at some point they need to be cut out of the equation. That's really the only thing I agreed with these teams about.
I really hope you're right about this.

We do need changes, but not like this. It all feels very superficial and speaking selfishly, burns the bridges to our history.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
You did not. You named the best clubs from smaller leagues who have been competitive for a long time (some of which were obviously invited to the Super League). Then you named a team that built itself in the 1990s and has been on top of its league for 20 years
No I didn't :facepalm:
2 examples I ALREADY gave : Atalanta. Sevilla.
Also the fact some come from smaller leagues was never in your initial post. Convenient to move the goalposts, especially since it's nothing to do with their competitiveness in the CL.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
I think it would be best for the game if FIFA and it's minion confederations are cut out and destroyed. I don't know if Super League is the way to go about it but these are really just glorified cartels and money laundering schemes
Like most of the owners of the 12 clubs.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
I'm not sure one is more evil than the other. Lest we forget they were trying to charge 15 quid in the UK for people to watch West Brom play Burnley on television and for almost every other game this season. 15 quid every time you wanted to watch your team from your couch! Then there's all the times UEFA has tried to rape people out of ticket money, TV money, when there's finals they don't even let many of the fans in, finals in countries the fans can't even go to, having three internationals in a weekend trying to murder the players, adding more tournaments with rules nobody understands, putting in subjective money limits that in some cases has directly led to this, they do the Euros in numerous countries just so they can steal money from the fans, etc. At least in the case of the last one it spectacularly blew up in their face and they won't ever try that again.

The fact is that this destroys the competitive spirit of the sport and hurts every team that isn't invited. Otherwise I would be laughing because nobody deserves it more.

Reactions: Summer Rose
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad